News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA - new for 2019

Started by Halichoeres, November 02, 2018, 03:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Ravonium on November 16, 2018, 07:51:13 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 16, 2018, 07:20:35 AM
unsure myself but shouldn't that raptor be feathered

Fukuiraptor is part of the Megaraptora, which is outside of the theropod groups with strong evidence of feathers (i.e it's not a part of Coelurosauria).
had understood that was the case....but.....note what appears to be more recent study

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuiraptor

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

IrritatorRaji

So many Spinosaurids in 2019... I think I might cry...

Sim

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 16, 2018, 02:05:50 PM
Quote from: Ravonium on November 16, 2018, 07:51:13 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 16, 2018, 07:20:35 AM
unsure myself but shouldn't that raptor be feathered

Fukuiraptor is part of the Megaraptora, which is outside of the theropod groups with strong evidence of feathers (i.e it's not a part of Coelurosauria).
had understood that was the case....but.....note what appears to be more recent study

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuiraptor

avatar_amargasaurus cazaui @amargasaurus cazaui avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium

When it comes to dinosaurs, I think "raptor" has become a meaningless term.  It's most often used to refer to dromaeosaurids, which were feathered animals.  Fukuiraptor isn't a dromaeosaurid, it's a megaraptoran.  Megaraptorans are all known only from very fragmentary remains, and it's proven notoriously difficult to work out what theropods they are most closely related to.  It's thought megaraptorans are either allosauroids, tyrannosauroids, or coelurosaurs that aren't tyrannosauroids.  As mentioned in the Everything Dinosaur blog post, CollectA has reconstructed Fukuiraptor as an allosauroid: "In our reconstruction I have followed the idea that megoraptorans are allosauroids."

Personally, I think this Fukuiraptor is one of the worst figures CollectA has made in a while.  CollectA has made so many allosauroids, while simply not making anything from the most bird-like dinosaur groups (e.g. dromaeosaurids, oviraptorosaurs, avialans, troodontids) beyond a few not great figures from 2011 or earlier.  Regardless of what megaraptorans are, this Fukuiraptor is reconstructed as an allosauroid, and it's not even an animal that's well represented by fossil remains, as shown in this megaraptoran skeletal comparison: https://www.deviantart.com/getawaytrike/art/Megaraptoran-series-703711797

I think it's right that CollectA makes what they would like to make.  However, I personally feel their representation of dinosaurs is one of the worst I've seen, with how they overrepresent certain groups (allosauroids, ceratopsids, tyrannosauroids) and don't bother with others (dromaeosaurids and other pennaraptorans, ankylosaurids (the group that includes the ones with tail clubs and not nodosaurids).  I'm not a fan of CollectA's prehistoric figures though, so I'm not asking that they do something different, I'm just expressing thoughts I have in relation to how prehistoric animals are represented in figures.

Patrx

Yes, I'm still hoping we might see a pennaraptoran of some sort from CollectA this year - Sim is correct, CollectA do not seem particularly keen on some groups.
Having taken a bit of time to gather my thoughts on these, I'm on-board for at least the Edaphosaurus and the Baryonyx. I'd have to see the Carnotaurus in person before I was sure about it. I like certain things about it, but I'm not, in general, a huge fan of Mr. Geiger's sculpting style and since there is also a new Carnotaurus from Safari, I might just stick with that one.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Wow! That Baryonyx is fantastic!
AND HOORAY FOR COLLECTA RELEASING A MODEL ADVERTISED AS 1:40 THAT'S ACTUALLY 1:40 SCALE!!!!!

Quote from: suspsy on November 16, 2018, 01:16:30 PM
Just received confirmation from CollectA: next week is the final batch of reveals.

Good to know!

Shonisaurus

What I have noticed is that Collecta every year produces fewer dinosaurs. This year for now it is very poor in terms of new revelations not only of dinosaurs but also of current animals (domestic, wild, horses). I do not know it is an appreciation of mine but I am afraid that Collecta's sales are not what we would like (at least as far as I am concerned) or that maybe they are in a bad economic situation. I hope he is wrong but this year is a very low year in figures not only of dinosarios but of animals in general.

suspsy

The Fukuiraptor appears to have been influenced largely by this skeletal restoration in Japan. The exact placement of megaraptorans in the theropod family tree remains an ongoing debate, but I think CollectA's version looks perfectly reasonable. It also looks beautifully sculpted and dynamic.

https://www.dinosaur.pref.fukui.jp/en/dic/Fukuiraptor.html

I think CollectA will get around to doing more pennaraptorans eventually if not this year. I'm not sure if it's just Anthony Beeson alone who decides which animals to make every year, or if it's a committee decision, but if people really want to see better representation of this group or that group, they would be well advised to share such desires with CollectA instead of merely complaining. They really are receptive and appreciative of consumer feedback, provided it's polite and friendly as opposed to overly harsh.

Oh, and it probably bears reminding that CollectA released Beishanlong, Deinocheirus, and Struthiomimus in 2016 and a larger version of Deinocheirus in 2017. Ornithomimosaurs are't pennaraptorans, of course, but they're still pretty darned bird-like. Again, I think it's just a matter of time before they get around to doing more feathered friends. Gigantoraptor could certainly use a brand new Deluxe version!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

To be fair, raptor is a pretty meaningless term even in reference to modern birds as was originally intended. If we were to update the term to modern standards we should be including Toucans (which should have been included even in the old behavioral based definition frankly), as well as pigeons, parrots, songbirds, trogons (IE quetzals), woodpeckers, kingfishers, and rollers by genetics.

At least with extinct dinosaurs it doesn't take much to learn that "raptor" is essentially just something people choose to tack on when they think an animals looks "fast". It's arbitrary, but it's arguably less misleading than it is in modern birds. A lot of people would probably never know hawks and falcons weren't closely related (falcons are directly related to parrots, and hawks to eagles/vultures).

I may not be the biggest fan of excluding their primary feathers but CollectA's ornithomimids are still relevant and worthy of mention in this discussion (I disagree with the idea of wings evolving for display, and therefore with the plausibility of wings existing without primary feathers, but that's another topic).

I would say CollectA has had much better variety lately than they did years ago. Pterosaurs are now spaced two years apart which means an extra dinosaur every second year (though in exchange I get a giant pterosaur), and at least they seem to be limiting themselves to only one ceratopsian a year now.

DragonRider02

I am really hoping in final batch we'll get at least one fluffy dinosaur!

Shonisaurus

For dreaming I wish that if Collecta reveals a new prehistoric mammal is the elasmotherium to compensate the coelodonta antiquitatis of Safari (I doubt they make a paraceratherium that is my favorite mammal, since its predecessor was discontinued this year).

Although obviously it is to advance an event, let's wait until next Friday for new revelations of prehistoric animals.

LeapingLaelaps

WOOHOO! Finally a nice Baryonyx for my collection! I usually don't like CollectA's bases, but the Bary's looks decent, not like a weird blob of putty like some of the others, it looks like it actually has texture. ;D

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 16, 2018, 04:09:48 PM
I would say CollectA has had much better variety lately than they did years ago. Pterosaurs are now spaced two years apart which means an extra dinosaur every second year (though in exchange I get a giant pterosaur), and at least they seem to be limiting themselves to only one ceratopsian a year now.

We didn't even get a ceratopsian from them this year. And my guess is we're not getting one next year either. But we'll all see in a week's time!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Minmiminime

I'm counting three must-haves and two probables from this brand so far this year ^-^ It's a good point about the bases though, I'm sure they'd be able to make them so that the figures were removable, without having to resort to amateur plastic surgery ;)
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Ravonium

My belated opinions on the two new reveals:

Deluxe Baryonx: After Mojo Fun's blunder last year, this is the definite version of Baryonyx in the toy market. While the paintjob is a bit too similar to that of the Carnotaurus, and the stock photo is taken at a bad angle (as is the case with the Carno) I have no other significant issues with it. Apart from the feet, it seems quite accurate, and the sculpt is one of CollectA's best yet. Despite all that, there's one thing about this model that makes it the star of the entire lineup...
Scale: 1:38 based on a 10m long specimen (YES! CollectA has released a Deluxe theropod that is actually approximately 1:40 scale!)

Fukuiraptor: This is, in my opinion, not an awful figure, but definitely the weakest of this year's lineup. The sculpt is up to modern CollectA standards, and they got the bare minimum right in terms of accuracy, but the paintjob is generic (and reminiscent of the Estemmenosuchus), and I agree with others that, due to being poorly known and in an incertae sedis clade, Fukuiraptor is a bad choice of genus.
Scale: Depending on whether you consider the only known specimen to be a juvenile or not, the scale could, based on the 4-6m size range on ED's post, be anywhere from 1:27-1:41

Minmiminime

On closer looks, it's interesting that in catalogue pictures of these newer deluxe theropod models, the catalogue models clearly do not have an articulated jaw. It's as though the original sculpts weren't fully designed to accommodate articulation in the first place, and it's something that's added afterwards, and I do wonder if this was the crux of the Ceratosaurus' issues in this regard...specifically that overbite and jaw closure issue, not to mention the higher contrast of the throat section. I wish they'd dispense with the articulation altogether to be honest, but it ain't putting me off these new beauties ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Minmiminime on November 16, 2018, 07:26:43 PM
On closer looks, it's interesting that in catalogue pictures of these newer deluxe theropod models, the catalogue models clearly do not have an articulated jaw. It's as though the original sculpts weren't fully designed to accommodate articulation in the first place, and it's something that's added afterwards, and I do wonder if this was the crux of the Ceratosaurus' issues in this regard...specifically that overbite and jaw closure issue, not to mention the higher contrast of the throat section. I wish they'd dispense with the articulation altogether to be honest, but it ain't putting me off these new beauties ^-^

Totally agree with you. I would like you to dispense with the theropods and other prehistoric animals Collecta of the articulated jaws, but like you that is not going to be an impediment for you to buy these beauties of PVC sculptures.

Shadowknight1

Honestly, I don't understand this dislike of articulated jaws.  That's the ONE thing that will keep the Papo Allosaurus slightly above the new Safari Allo.  I don't always like my dinosaurs to be screaming all the time.

Also, despite not caring for bases, that Baryonyx is pretty darn cool looking!  Wish I had more space for more dinosaurs.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Gothmog the Baryonyx

If this Baryonyx had been released a year ago, I would have been jumping for joy (although I probably wouldn't be on the forum at all so there's that). It's definitely the second best Baryonyx as far as I'm concerned but it's not perfect. Those hideous spines, and the fact that Bary and Carno share similar colours with each other and this years' Ceratosaurus. Other than that I think it's great. It's far far superior to CollectA's previous offerings in the Baryonyx department, and much nicer than the Papo monstrosity, better also than Mojo's half decent attempt, and nicer (and more accurate) than the Carnegie figure. I do not appreciate the movable jaw though, I would rather they be sculpted with the mouth permanently closed.

Regarding the Fukuiraptor, the first figure of it not made by a Japanese company. Since I didn't bother with any of the Favorite Co. versions, I will probably get this, though i would've preferred they depicted it as a 'generic' coelurosaur rather than as another boring Allosauroid though.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

terrorchicken

oh yeay! more terra-cotta and lime /khaki green!  Collecta's two favorite go to hues for their dinos....barf!  :P

I would have preferred a fukuisaurus since I am having trouble getting the Favorite one at a good price, but I guess 2 iguanodontids 2 years in a row is asking for too much. I like their fukuiraptor though and the baryonyx is a major improvement over their old one. If I cant obtain the Favorite version i definitely will pick this one up.

tanystropheus

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 16, 2018, 11:37:25 PM
Collecta's two favorite go to hues for their dinos....barf!  :P

Favorite's two (Fukuiraptor and Baryonyx) were done better in my opinion  :)

At least, they've eschewed the war/tribal paint.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: