News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Juvenile Brachiosaur

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 16, 2012, 05:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hmm. Not as much help as I had hoped then...though it does look close. The shorter neck, larger head and all...seems like what we have been discussing for a juvi Brachio.

I've been looking for hours..anyone found a " fly-over " shot ? Couldn't find anything from Hartman on his site.  I really need to know how wide the shoulders are compared to the hips.

Tylosaurus

Been look'n around for ya found these pictures, thereby hoping to give you some idea for the looks of a baby Brachiosaurus :)

It seems the necks are a bit on the long side I guess:

Their shoulders and crests are also less developed, thus smaller in shape. What you could do is take  a full scale Brachiosaurus and compare it in size with this Europasaurus:

Then try to find out the scale of the Europasaurus if it were a Juvenile Brachiosaurus.

Use it as a scale, with the results to this you can try and scale down the limbs and crests and other parts within the body needed for your model's result.
It's a workaround but it is a way of getting the job done, just an idea :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Thanks !

It seems a lot of recreations are just scaled down adults really.  I've seen those replicas in person actually..at the Dinosaur World park in Cave City, Kentucky..though it was in the snow at the time...lol

They look okay but they are a little outdated I'm afraid..bu t I do love retro-Dinos. ;)

Tylosaurus

yeah they are down scaled, but also less developed , instead of a crest your baby Brachy would have a bump on it's head instead :), it's body would be much more slender than an adult, since juveniles have to be fast and agile to run from enemies, just a guess there.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 21, 2012, 05:59:19 PM
yeah they are down scaled, but also less developed , instead of a crest your baby Brachy would have a bump on it's head instead :), it's body would be much more slender than an adult, since juveniles have to be fast and agile to run from enemies, just a guess there.

Yeah that bugs me as well. I'm not sure just how wide the shoulders, hips and ribs would be.  I may just have to take a shot in the dark..there aren't many fossils of Brachiosaurs to really work from it seems.

I have seen these models in the past..each one has an obvious flaw of course :

This one is closer to what I'm aiming for :

Of course I'll make the front feet correct on mine..or as close as I can.

This model is relatively thin :

Not sure if that right though..I've seen a lot of art with really wide ribbed sauropods.

Tylosaurus

hah niiice finds man, you could give him a saddle too xD you'd only need a ladder to get up there though

dutchdinolover

Quote from: brontodocus on March 21, 2012, 03:22:26 PM
I'd say that's rather Europasaurus holgeri. :)

Mmm, that's what I was afraid fore... But id would still be a young Europasaurus: approximately 2m. But it is not as useful as i hoped it would be :(

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dutchdinolover on March 21, 2012, 07:57:11 PM
Quote from: brontodocus on March 21, 2012, 03:22:26 PM
I'd say that's rather Europasaurus holgeri. :)

Mmm, that's what I was afraid fore... But id would still be a young Europasaurus: approximately 2m. But it is not as useful as i hoped it would be :(

No worries. Your trying to help and I appreciate it !  ;D

Here is progress today :

Didn't get as far as a I wanted because it decided to pour down rain for a bit. :/

Tylosaurus

hmm interesting approach there Blade-of-the-Moon 8) You could use cane rods to support the neck, cane is also flexible, which can also be used for the tail section. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 22, 2012, 01:18:02 AM
hmm interesting approach there Blade-of-the-Moon 8) You could use cane rods to support the neck, cane is also flexible, which can also be used for the tail section. :)

One could..I tend to prefer treated wood and wire for durability of course..and some weight is needed with the strong wind we have around here.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Tried to get the legs on the Brachio today..met with only some success. Figuring out the dimensions is really slowing me up. I'm still not sure I have the back at the right height...it still feels a little too tall to me. What do you guys think ?

Tylosaurus

I inspire your creative idea's mate, makes me wonder has one of your dino's scare the mailman once?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 23, 2012, 01:01:11 AM
I inspire your creative idea's mate, makes me wonder has one of your dino's scare the mailman once?

Our mailwoman loves em' ...she's been meaning to bring her grand kids by bet they'll really enjoy it. ;D

She wasn't even afraid of my klowns..seemed very interested. :)

Tylosaurus

haha that's awesomesauce man :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

I guess I'll add the feet pieces and then see if it still looks too tall. If so I'll trim it down again. :/

ZoPteryx

With it next to the boat, it looks like your about to make the Loch Ness Monster! ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Zopteryx on March 23, 2012, 05:02:54 AM
With it next to the boat, it looks like your about to make the Loch Ness Monster! ;)

Don't think I haven't been tempted..there are Dragons and such flying around in my brain as well. ;)

I did notice that if I make the back end the front I'm well on my way to creating a large Stegosaurus is I so chose..but " Mary " has to be built first. :)

I looked at it again a bit ago and think I will knock 8-10" off it..just seems way too high.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I asked this question in my art thread but it may get a better answer here .

I've been asking around and it seems the argument of how high the neck could be isn't as settled as I had thought.  I've been told the " S " shape like in the older WS figure is considered right and the neck down like in the new WS figure and new Carnegie is incorrect ..anyone know which is right ? I'm close to the point of no return.

Tylosaurus

I hope this is useful Blad-of-the-Moon :)

http://carnivoraforum.com/topic/9329443/1/

As you can see, the neck of the juvenile Brachiosaurs is a bit more bent forwards than normal, as both drawing show.

Here an odd picture but it shows a juvenile Brachiosaurus with a much slender body than the adults, might also be resourceful:

So yeah I reckon that the neck should be placed in a forward position, just a guess heh.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Thanks for the help !

Hmm..there are some problems with the Brachs in those images..the feet and such..the necks do look a bit odd bit forward like that. :?

The ones in that last pic remind me of early William Stout art of sauropods...very thin.

I believe I'm going to have to add a couple more feet onto the neck..so I might go a little more vertical with it unless there is reason to do otherwise.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: