You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Body modification, balance, and substances were

Started by Lizerd, November 07, 2018, 02:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizerd

So while my Bataat Rex wraps up (mostly a repaint with a body modification to reduce shrink wrapping) I was wondering if I could have some help on body modification. First and foremost is to add mass to reduce a shrink wrapped image, but that creates balance issues. So are there any tips or tricks for keeping stability? Also if using resin or apoxie, what is the risk of injury or other side effects? Any answers are welcome.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Doug Watson

Quote from: Lizerd on November 07, 2018, 02:58:43 PM
So while my Bataat Rex wraps up (mostly a repaint with a body modification to reduce shrink wrapping) I was wondering if I could have some help on body modification. First and foremost is to add mass to reduce a shrink wrapped image, but that creates balance issues. So are there any tips or tricks for keeping stability? Also if using resin or apoxie, what is the risk of injury or other side effects? Any answers are welcome.

What I have sometimes done with problematic pieces is run a heavy wire through both legs up until you hit thick material. There are three ways to do it.
If the legs are thick enough and straight enough you can sometimes drill straight through from the bottom of the foot with a bit the right diameter and long enough. I often use coat hanger wire because it is stiff, and readily available but you can use whatever you have access too. Coat hanger wire is also thick enough to put a thread on the end with a dye if you want to use a nut to attach it to a base or you can seat in below the surface of the foot and cover the hole with epoxy putty. I use Magic Sculpt. I also run mixed 5 min epoxy into the hole before putting the wire in for extra support.
If the leg has too much of a bend there are two ways to do it. Heat the leg in hot water and bend it straight. Cool it in the straight position then drill your hole. Put your wire in then reheat the leg and bend it at the joint in the position you want, you are also bending the wire at this point so will require some effort.
If that doesn't appeal to you and you are confident in your sculpting skills use a Dremel tool and carve a straight channel up the back of the leg deep enough to embed the wire. Set the pre-bent wire in the leg with 5 min epoxy and then fill in the channel with the epoxy putty of your choice and re-sculpt the detail. Again you can either leave excess wire sticking out of the foot to attach to a base or finish the bottom of the foot off with epoxy putty. You may still encounter problems with the toes bending under the weight if you don't attach it to a base but you can fix that by running smaller wires through the toes using any of the methods above.
I worked for the museums for 17 years using two part liquid epoxies and putties and I have continued to use both materials for the last 21 and I have only known one person in that time who had a skin sensitivity to it. Everyone else was fine. What I do to reduce exposure is wear latex examination gloves to knead the two part putties then I take the gloves off while I sculpt. Home Depot here in Canada sells them by the box. Always read and follow the safety instructions such as using it in a well ventilated area, don't eat while using it or put your hands in your mouth, etc.. I sculpt in a 10' x 16' room with no exhaust and I don't have issues but not everyone is the same.

Doug Watson

I forgot to mention if you are drilling the leg it is preferable to use a variable speed drill with a trigger control or a Dremel with a foot operated speed control because the act of drilling will heat the plastic and if it isn't supported or you are using too high a speed the bit can twist the leg right off. Even if you are using a speed control always use your free hand to support the length of the leg and drill at a slow enough speed. You can also drill in short bursts and back the bit out and let it cool between bursts.

Or get an adult to do it and when he or she screws it up cry until they buy you another one. >:D Also you can practice on a cheap knock off that is all they are good for.

Lizerd

Thanks for the information! Sadly I just finished the Rex with feathers that look like bedhead, kinda realistic though :D. I definetely will try to take a look into these though and will find some funny knock off model and screw it up... then throw a temper tantrum involving a lizard, 5000 chocalate chips, and a walrus   >:D
As for epoxy a huge thanks, as I have a phobia of toxic chemicals and really don't like testing things on myself. Now to bungle up a model and try stuff with power tools and epoxy!
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.