News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Phylogeny of phytosaurs

Started by Halichoeres, December 10, 2018, 03:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

This new study analyzes morphological data from various phytosaurs under a few different methods to try to figure out their interrelationships, using Euparkeria as an outgroup. It's a little messy! I didn't realize this, but a 2016 analysis found them to be stem-crocodiles, although more often they're recovered as stem-archosaurs. This study doesn't really address which of those is true, but it gives some hint as to how the various phytosaurs are related at any rate. Here's the consensus tree (resolving only nodes that are present in every method they used). It's got a lot of polytomies, an indication of lots of ambiguity in the data.

The paper is fairly readable and is open access: https://peerj.com/articles/5901/
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Thanks for posting this! Phytosaur taxonomy is such a mess. They've been lumped and split and relumped and resplit so many times...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on December 10, 2018, 03:52:24 PM
Thanks for posting this! Phytosaur taxonomy is such a mess. They've been lumped and split and relumped and resplit so many times...

No kidding. Which is why I'm so glad Safari put the whole species name on their "Rutiodon" (Machaeroprosopus) validus!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.