News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Over 270 New Species Discovered in 2018!

Started by suspsy, December 27, 2018, 04:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Just a heads up, the figure in the title of the article and this thread is misleading when talking about palaeontology (and actually, when talking about biology in general), as it counts extant species (and for some reason minerals). Further down in the article, it says only 36 of these new species were extinct (and even when you only count living things, the figure isn't over 270).

suspsy

The title would only be misleading if I had said that they were all extinct animals, which I clearly did not do. And 36 new species is most definitely a great year in paleontology.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Fortunately, many of the 270 species of animals are still alive on Earth with us.

Neosodon

Given that there is an estimated 9 million species on the planet, 270 doesn't sound like allot. The discoveries themselves are certainly fascinating and nothing to downplay. But in terms of quantity it doesn't seem that impressive.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Halichoeres

Quote from: Neosodon on December 27, 2018, 09:27:42 PM
Given that there is an estimated 9 million species on the planet, 270 doesn't sound like allot. The discoveries themselves are certainly fascinating and nothing to downplay. But in terms of quantity it doesn't seem that impressive.

The article makes clear that that's just new species with which people associated with this particular museum were involved. If you added in workers from other museums, universities, etc., the number is certainly in the thousands.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.