News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Arioch paleoart

Started by Arioch, March 16, 2012, 01:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arioch

Yeah, I jumped in the bandwagon like so many people.  ^-^

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on April 30, 2012, 01:23:49 AM
Does his eye look a teensy bit too high?

I think its in the right spot. Maybe because it lacks that huge eyebrow ridge typical in JP inspired T. rexes (and those are everywhere) it may give the impression that its too low. As indicated here, the eyeball and sclerotic ring are located at the very top of the fenestrae.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/119/d/c/head_of_tyrannosaurus___anatomy_primer_by_dracontes-d4xyz3m.jpg

S. Hartman rendition: http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/350/8/e/t__rex_reigns_again_by_shartman-d35000f.jpg, and Raul Martins:  http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hKRKtS1a8Pg/TcKe-NAcuAI/AAAAAAAAIyY/RhrSTOunJac/s1600/tyrannosaurus.jpg show this as well

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on April 30, 2012, 01:23:49 AMAnd even though I know his legs are bent down a little, does his legs perhaps look just a little short?

Sue legs are actually sort of stumpy, its their coelurosaurian proportions (shorter femur, longer tibia) that make them different to carnosaurs like Giganotosaurus.  ;)

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on April 30, 2012, 01:23:49 AMI could be wrong and these are very, very minor issues from my view. And one last computer image question. Is there a way to make the proto-feathers blend in and look more connected to the skin. It almost looks like he's wearing a fur coat. ;) Anyway, like I said at first, I think the overall look of the ol' guy is awesome!

Right. I  hate when the feather coats look so artificially attached too, but this kind of blending effect might be hard to achieve when you´re basically drawing over 3D textures made by other guys, as much as I wanted to do here something similar to what I did with my previous Tyrannosaurus . However, I´ve been updating the picture a lil bit and now its looking a bit better, but still needs more work. I´m going to edit my last post with the pic from DA, but you probalby won´t notice a lot of difference.

And thanks for the compliments! glad you liked it.   :)

Horridus

If they actually put furry tyrannosaurs in the game, it'll annoy a load of people who'll whine that "they don't look scary any more! Waahh!"

Of course, they'll be wrong, and will realise this when they actually play it and have one chase them.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Arioch

Quote from: Horridus on April 30, 2012, 06:54:08 PM
If they actually put furry tyrannosaurs in the game, it'll annoy a load of people who'll whine that "they don't look scary any more! Waahh!"

Of course, they'll be wrong, and will realise this when they actually play it and have one chase them.

Yeah, it sort of annoys me too me that while feathered "Raptors" could look cool to conservative dino nuts,  fuzzy tyrannosaurs are invariably mocked upon (even when they look scary, and I think I managed to make it look pretty dangerous), though not always the pun is serious. Seriously, that´s getting old. But the feedback so far is positive with this one, so, meh.

Gryphoceratops

Even feathery dromies are only recently becoming more accepted for most people (and still some don't).  Just give it time. 

Gryphoceratops

Even feathery dromies are only recently becoming more accepted for most people (and still some don't accept it   *yuck*).  Just give it time.

Arioch

I think its mostly a generational thing. Nostalgia plays a huge role, so the people that grew up in the 80 or 90´s are naturally more reluctant to this concept while this younger generations (10 yo or less) are more exposed to feathered dinosaurs and didn´t experience the JP fever. Hopefully, in a couple of generations the scaly Raptors (or even tyrannosaurs) will be perceived the same way we see Knight dinosaurs today. Despite the efforts of the mainstream media and game developers  ::)

Arioch

Another thing I´ve been working on for weeks:

Dakosaurus andiniensis chasing two ichthyosaurs, and the metriorhynchid Cricosaurus minds its own business in the background.

Horridus

I find that horrible thing very cute for some reason. I think it's the stubby limbs.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Arioch

Quote from: Horridus on May 01, 2012, 07:03:49 PM
I find that horrible thing very cute for some reason. I think it's the stubby limbs.

Or maybe the adorable doll like dead eyes?

Arioch

Minor update: a WIP of Dromaeosaurus albertensis for a dromaosaurid scale chart.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Arioch on May 02, 2012, 09:51:34 PM
Minor update: a WIP of Dromaeosaurus albertensis for a dromaosaurid scale chart.

Is it just me, or do you really like dromaeosaurids?
Also, when do you think you can show us the dromaeosaur scale chart? It sounds like it will be VERY cool!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Arioch

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 03, 2012, 06:17:20 AM
Quote from: Arioch on May 02, 2012, 09:51:34 PM

Is it just me, or do you really like dromaeosaurids?

Well...yes, I do.  :))

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 03, 2012, 06:17:20 AM
Also, when do you think you can show us the dromaeosaur scale chart? It sounds like it will be VERY cool!

Thanks for having so much faith! I probably could be able to show something by sunday or monday.... I have to yet to texturize and paint separatedly 6 dromaeosaurs.

Heres the WIP of another one, Utahraptor. Just the basic shape. Need to add more feathers and puff it up in general:

ZoPteryx

Himmapaan

Thagirion

Quote from: Zopteryx on May 03, 2012, 11:34:19 PM
You can never have too many raptors! :))

Hehe, I was talking about getting a raptor figure today and my husband said this very line to me.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Gryphoceratops

Hm actually I quite like the amount of feathering you have on the Utahraptor as is.  Its larger so it works having a sleeker coat.  Its up to you in the end though I'm sure it will be cool either way. 

Arioch

Thanks people! and Gryph, I probably won´t add too many feathers actually, just some  longer fuzz on the bottom and chest. I won´t even him it tail fan.

Here´s another redesigned Primal Carnage dino, the Triceratops. Sort of speedpainting and a huge transformation and revamping (honestly, you DON´T want to see the original), colors suggested by members of the game forum.

Yutyrannus

Awesome Utahraptor. I'm actually thinking anout drawing one myself. One question: Are those its neck vertabrae?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Metallisuchus

Wow you've managed to let retro styles (wrinkles/skin folds, some reptilian details in the face, bulk etc.) and modern styles coincide in an individual piece. I didn't think that was possible, or at the least, I would have never thought it could work so well. Great work, very original ; )

Arioch

Thanks for the compliment! yes, that´s quite what I try to achieve. I think some of this retro elements -specially the bulk- are actually pretty forward-thinking, and were somewhat neglected on this age of paleo art influenced by GSP style. 

And Yutyrannus, what do you mean? the markings on the droma neck look a bit like vertebrae, right but the Utahraptor...?

Well, here is a WIP of the scale chart:

From left ro right: Microraptor, Dromaeosaurus, Deinonychus, Velociraptor, Austroraptor, Utahraptor.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: