News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Arioch paleoart

Started by Arioch, March 16, 2012, 01:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Arioch on May 06, 2012, 01:29:58 PM
Thanks for the compliment! yes, that´s quite what I try to achieve. I think some of this retro elements -specially the bulk- are actually pretty forward-thinking, and were somewhat neglected on this age of paleo art influenced by GSP style. 

And Yutyrannus, what do you mean? the markings on the droma neck look a bit like vertebrae, right but the Utahraptor...?

Well, here is a WIP of the scale chart:

From left ro right: Microraptor, Dromaeosaurus, Deinonychus, Velociraptor, Austroraptor, Utahraptor.
Very cool! And I was talking about those whitish markings on the Utahraptor's neck. But looking at it closer I can tell that they are feathers. By the way may I suggest a tyrannosauroid scale chart?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Arioch

Yeah, why not. Im planning to do more scale charts in the future, and that seems as good as any.

Here´s a more updated version, in fact close to be finished:

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Arioch on May 08, 2012, 02:03:21 AM
Yeah, why not. Im planning to do more scale charts in the future, and that seems as good as any.

Here´s a more updated version, in fact close to be finished:

Awesome scale chart! I especially like the Austroraptor and Utahraptor.

Arioch

Thanks! Finished version:

ZoPteryx

Himmapaan

I could have sworn I'd posted a comment about the dromaeosaurs. That must have been when I was having problems with the forum and my post didn't go through.

Anyway, it looks great! And I like the top hatted gentleman with cane.  ;D

Arioch

Thanks both! I was thinking of including a flying Rahonavis there, then I thought it would look a bit overcrowded...anyway, maybe I´ll still do it later.

Quote from: Himmapaan on May 10, 2012, 10:40:34 AM
And I like the top hatted gentleman with cane.  ;D

Any alternative to that indecent naked waving man is always welcomed! Why the most elegant archosaurs of the Mesozoic should suffer such a company? this gentleman is more suitable for that purpose. :))

Metallisuchus

Personally, I like the paleontologist silhouette with the small pick-axe in his hands, and the Alan Grant hat. You guys know what I'm talking about...

Gwangi

Great work, I would love to see more like that dromaeosaur parade. It seems to me that since I first got interested in dinosaurs both Utahraptor and Deinonychus have shrunk. I seem to remember when Deinonychus was the size of that Utahraptor and Velociraptor was the size of that Deinonychus. I guess I gotta brush up on my dinosaur sizes.

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Gwangi on May 12, 2012, 03:21:21 AM
Great work, I would love to see more like that dromaeosaur parade. It seems to me that since I first got interested in dinosaurs both Utahraptor and Deinonychus have shrunk. I seem to remember when Deinonychus was the size of that Utahraptor and Velociraptor was the size of that Deinonychus. I guess I gotta brush up on my dinosaur sizes.

Gwangi - I thought I was going crazy... So it's not just me. You think even paleontologists exaggerated their size back then as a result of the JP craze? It's like people took JP as a work of non-fiction, lol.

Gryphoceratops

If I'm not mistaken Deinonychus is supposed to be about 9 feet long from head to tail.  The tail is pretty long in itself so its easy to imagine an animal larger than it really is upon hearing that number. 

Arioch

Quote from: Metallisuchus on May 12, 2012, 04:08:50 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 12, 2012, 03:21:21 AM

Gwangi - I thought I was going crazy... So it's not just me. You think even paleontologists exaggerated their size back then as a result of the JP craze? It's like people took JP as a work of non-fiction, lol.

I think the main size difference with this old school deinonychus is in the height. Lenght wise they haven´t changed that much, but the legs of those old reconstructions were way longer than the actual animals, maybe because they were based in outdated material and drawings by Ostrom. Such as this one:

I remember Velociraptor as being always represented more or less with that size, at least in most of my pre- Jurassic park dino books ( I don´t have any that was published after 1990). As for Utahraptor, it might be even bigger than that....

Metallisuchus

Yeah I was just reading something about that on Wiki - that Ostrom's finds weren't very complete, therefore he overestimed Dromie legs.

Arioch

Yes, and the skull was restored without taking in account all the crushing it suffered, hence this allosaur-like shape.

Well, time to show more WIP stuff.:

Small update on the archie:

Baryonyx tackling a small iguanodontid (and showing how useful this big clawed forelimbs can be):

And a request from a member of Hell Creek: an african huntress confronting an allosaur. Doing my best to make it look like the girl has some chance to win. Not sure if the context is wether is a time travelling experience or just an anachronic fight just for the sake of cool.

Gryphoceratops

I REALLY like the updated archaeopteryx.  The feathers look so much more lifelike. 

I don't think the allosaurus was able to bend its neck like that though.

DinoFan45

Your artwork is amazing! I personally think the allosaur/huntress picture is being there for the sake of awesomeness.
"Life will find a way."

Arioch

Thanks both!

Yes the allo needs some revamping, not only the neck but also the tail and maybe head size too.

Yutyrannus

I really like that Baryonyx, can't wait to see it finished.

Lady medusa

Arioch

Thanks guys!  ^-^

Something new after ... over a month of artistic inactivity. Tarbosaurus Bataar chasing a sub adult Saurolophus Angustirostris:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: