News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Tyrannosaurus rex: An Iconic Figure (Image Heavy Thread)

Started by RobinGoodfellow, January 26, 2019, 12:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoreplicas

Great job on this collestion of pics, you should be an archivist!
When you see all these variations together like this it's really clear just how much of a pop culture icon old rexy has become. There's a few credible reconstructions out there but they seem to get lost in the swamp of more toy-ish depictions. Without the dominance of Godzilla-esque, JurassicPark-ised abominations, public understanding of Tyrannosaurus as a real animal would be much better.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 28, 2019, 08:35:46 AM..well, with more than 200 figures available, I hope this thread clearly shows that there are enough T rex for every collector and we don't need more..  ;)

You're probably correct but I doubt the flood of rex toys and models will be ending anytime soon because most are produced to meet the demands of mass markets rather than the more refined tastes of collectors. I think species representation has improved over the past few years though.

Anyway, I have a few of my own (fairly unique I hope) T. rex products and hopefully I can sell a few more this year.

suspsy

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 28, 2019, 08:35:46 AM
Quote from: Brocc21 on January 27, 2019, 07:43:10 PM
My mom asked why I keep getting new T.rex figures when I already have ten. Well you can't really get enough of the tyrant lizard king.

..well, with more than 200 figures available, I hope this thread clearly shows that there are enough T rex for every collector and we don't need more..  ;)

Nope! On the contrary, these images have only further convinced me that we need more T. rex figures. Better, more up-to-date ones to counter all the outdated ones. There will never be enough. ^-^

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

mgaguilar

avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow this is SPECTACULAR.
Jesus, of course Tyrannosaurus has had this comprehensive of documentation in the toy/figure/sculpture world.
I am hoping that avatar_suspsy @suspsy 's statement is correct, and that newer and more accurate figures (Rebor's "accurate" model, Safari's new release in a couple years, another less-feathered CollectA, etc.) will be good timestamps for this period of understanding.

Uncle Rex

A LOT of work was required to compile this list. Thanks - it was well worth the effort. T Rex is still the king.

BRONSON

Superb list, many I have not seen nor heard of before and many I had forgot about from my childhood, here's a well known one from my younger years, it was available for over 20 years I think, and I built it twice, Airfix T rex kit, I dont think I saw it on your list.

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/airfix/animals/tyrannosaurus-rex-p-800.html

PhilSauria

Excellent piece Robin!, thanks for taking the time and effort to put it all together. Really liking these very well illustrated overviews, both of brands and species. And you clearly have a major image archive to draw from here.

Somehow I just don't see an end to the releasing of new Tyrannosaurus figures so prepare to do an updated version of this post further down the track (or not) but they look like they're just gonna keep on. It's iconic status is just too firmly entrenched in the public psyche.

Shonisaurus

By the way Robin How many tyrannosaurus figures do you have? Between figures of resin, vinyl and PVC you must have at least between fifty and seventy figures.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Strick67 on February 02, 2019, 03:30:47 PM

..just an informed collector..  :P

Quote from: BRONSON on February 02, 2019, 09:04:47 PM
Superb list, many I have not seen nor heard of before and many I had forgot about from my childhood, here's a well known one from my younger years, it was available for over 20 years I think, and I built it twice, Airfix T rex kit, I dont think I saw it on your list.

** New Pictures Added on pg.1 **

:)

BRONSON

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 04, 2019, 08:44:07 AM
Quote from: Strick67 on February 02, 2019, 03:30:47 PM

..just an informed collector..  :P

Quote from: BRONSON on February 02, 2019, 09:04:47 PM

** New Pictures Added on pg.1 **

Oh excellent, better than the quick search pics I found, the first kit I had was a duff one, there was warping on the two halfs of the head so that it wouldnt join, my mum filled in the slip that used to be inside the box and posted it, and I thought they might send me the part but they sent a whole new kit, I painted my first one gloss bottle green pmsl, but I was 6 at the time.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Thank you avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow for your hard work, there are so many figures, toys and models of this animal.
At this point, if they didn't make another figure of Tyrannosaurus rex for 10 years, there would still be more T. rex figures than any other.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

frank08

Sooooooooooooo many! I will be getting the Toyway Tyrannosaur in case you want me to provide the pictures. Oh, you already have a picture, but can I still put the Toyway Rex on here?
"How many kinds of dinosaurs would it take to keep a giant carnivore (Tyrannosaurus) well fed? Just about all of them, Torosaurus meat is one of T. rex's personal favorites"- Ben Stiller Prehistoric Planet

And check my art here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8741.msg259622#new

Here is my collection: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8763.msg260287#msg260287

And here are my favorite figures: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8756.0

CityRaptor

A lot of those Kenner Rexes are actually Hasbro ones. Basically everything shown there with Hasbro on the packaging is a Hasbro Rex, since they shut down Kenner before JPIII and fired everyone but the Star Wars guys, who then worked on that line. ( Ironic since it was the flop of the Episode 1 toyline that lead to this decision. )
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

frank08

"..well, with more than 200 figures available, I hope this thread clearly shows that there are enough T rex for every collector and we don't need more.."

That's the truth. I only get T"rannosaurus figures when they are especially good. Like with the Battat Rex, Safari Rex (not the feathered one), and the Toyway Rex. I might be getting the Feathered rex from Safari but only if I see it and like it.
"How many kinds of dinosaurs would it take to keep a giant carnivore (Tyrannosaurus) well fed? Just about all of them, Torosaurus meat is one of T. rex's personal favorites"- Ben Stiller Prehistoric Planet

And check my art here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8741.msg259622#new

Here is my collection: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8763.msg260287#msg260287

And here are my favorite figures: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8756.0

frank08

Quote from: suspsy on February 02, 2019, 04:14:06 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 28, 2019, 08:35:46 AM
Quote from: Brocc21 on January 27, 2019, 07:43:10 PM
My mom asked why I keep getting new T.rex figures when I already have ten. Well you can't really get enough of the tyrant lizard king.

..well, with more than 200 figures available, I hope this thread clearly shows that there are enough T rex for every collector and we don't need more..  ;)

Nope! On the contrary, these images have only further convinced me that we need more T. rex figures. Better, more up-to-date ones to counter all the outdated ones. There will never be enough. ^-^

Nice point! Instead of mass producing outdated figures, we should instead make accurate figures and leave it at that.

Duna

Hello and congrats for the wonderful compilation! :)

I think it's missing David Krentz's "Regina Mundi", for me the best tyrannosaurus figure nowadays. :)

And Nanmu's Tyrannosaurus "Alpha".

And Rebor's Grab n Go.

And the Safari mini Carnegie (Safari Authentics). And the toob mini version.

And PNSO new Wilson.

And the whole UKRD company:

1991:

1992:

1992 bendable:

1993:

And also the Spanish companies from the 90s:

DANONE
Jurassic Park 1993:

Miniland:

YOLANDA:
1989 "Cabosaurios":

1992 Jurassic Park Tombola:

EL CIGARRAL (80s):

Thank you!

Halichoeres

It would be easier to list the companies that haven't made one!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

RobinGoodfellow

I stopped upgrading this thread on February 2019.
After that, lots of new T rex were added to the list.
To be honest, I did the list just for fun; but I discovered that keeping it upgraded would be an endless work.
Every year more Rexes hit the market..
Simply too much.
And I lost my interest for that overproduced animal.  >:D

Feel free to complete the list if somebody wants..

Halichoeres

Same. I haven't bought a new version since 2017 and have no plans to start now. I did demote the original Wilson to the 'to trade away some day' box, and promote the Battat to its place, but I already had the Battat in the closet.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

T Rex is without doubt the most famous dinosaur, so I don't imagine the flood of figures will stop any time soon..  Added to that the way it is reconstructed changes every several years as new finds, new ideas and new analysis of existing fossil evidence changes the way science views the way it looked in real life.

Rex went from a towering tail dragger, to a lean and mean speedy killing machine, to being covered in feathers to today's view of it being obese and somewhat lumbering and I imagine a decade from now it will look notably different again.   A collection that represents all of those reconstructions is interesting, but it's not the way I collect my dino figures.  I only keep figures showing the most up to date appearance of each extinct animal in my collection.  The others get sold, stored away carefully or used for spare parts in any custom work I do.

I find this approach keeps my collect as 'accurate' as possible and saves display space and is a bit easier on the pocket book.  But before I boot a figure out of the collection the evidence for the new reconstruction of it has to be overwhelming and generally accepted by paleontologists...otherwise, i'd be swapping out figures with every new idea that comes along and that would become head spinning..

I haven't yet bought into Rex's current image of it being super heavy built/fat (not an efficient way to go through life if you're a predator), nor did I buy into the caked in feathers look for Rex (no fossil evidence).  My view is still of the somewhat 'shrink wrapped' Rex of the 90's, although I agree it was not a 30mph runner....I never did believe that one.

I still love Rex...she'll always be my favourite dino.  :)

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Have you seen the gastralia? Tyrannosaurus was very wide. It is not obese, but muscular and powerful. Tyrannosaurus will not ever been seen as less wide than it is now. There will be other changes, but not so many now.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: