News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

This list needs an overhaul. I already deleted Sinoceratops, Zhuchengtyrannus and Yinlong, thanks to Favorite. I know I can safely add Protolindenia (is it verified that's what it is?) and Redondasaurus. But know I understand there's a few more PNSO figures than I might add as well. Anyone care to tell me what else I'm missing?

Plus, anyone got good pictures of the Rebor Protolindenia and Favorite Redondasaurus I can use? Any help will be appreciated of course. :)

Halichoeres

Rebor confirmed that it's a Protlindenia. Here's a picture (as always, you have permission to use any of my photos for the unique species thread):

I'm guessing you want to hold off on the Beasts of the Mesozoic series until they actually ship. I think PNSO adds:

Chungkingosaurus
Glyphoderma
Himalayasaurus

and removes:

Proceratosaurus

The Kanna Dinosaur Centre Spinosaurus Expo figure included a Lepidotes (labeled as such), which is the only Lepidotes I'm aware of.

Also I noticed there's a Sinornithoides on the reference list. I don't know the Dino Art version, but there was also one in the Go Diego Go series.

Finally, Favorite also added a few Paleozoic critters:

Canadaspis
Marrella

and removed:

Olenoides

Please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken on any of these!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

I think PNSO also toke Nyctosaurus off the unique list.

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 07, 2016, 08:05:13 PM

The Good Dinosaur alone is responsible for at least 4 different Nyctosaurus figures, plus there's one on Shapeways and there was one in the Go Diego Go line. So it's not on the list in the first place.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

tyrantqueen

Dan LoRusso also sculpted a female and male Nyctosaurus a long time ago.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 07, 2016, 10:43:02 PM

The Good Dinosaur alone is responsible for at least 4 different Nyctosaurus figures, plus there's one on Shapeways and there was one in the Go Diego Go line. So it's not on the list in the first place.
My bad, I wasn't aware of any of those except the Disney ones, or that Shapeways figures counted. What of Thingiverse and Sketchfab? All of Thingiverse and some of Sketchfab are available for free download and can then be printed via Shapeways or 3D Hubs.

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 07, 2016, 11:13:26 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 07, 2016, 10:43:02 PM

My bad, I wasn't aware of any of those except the Disney ones, or that Shapeways figures counted. What of Thingiverse and Sketchfab? All of Thingiverse and some of Sketchfab are available for free download and can then be printed via Shapeways or 3D Hubs.

Man, I have no idea how to decide what counts. Some of the stuff on the list is virtually impossible to get now.

Roselaar

Blimey, there's more work for me in store than I figured! :)

Thanks for the pics, Hali. They'll come in handy! Incidentally, what specific company (if any) produced that Expo Spinosaurus set?

I'm hesitant about adding things that can be Shapewayed, since in that manner basically anything goes. I'm considering taking Shapeways figures off the list entirely for that reason. Also saves me the trouble of keeping track of what people have to offer over there, since I'm quite sure there's scores of species I missed.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on September 08, 2016, 11:08:45 PM
Incidentally, what specific company (if any) produced that Expo Spinosaurus set?

It's these guys: http://www.dino-nakasato.jp/shopbrand/ct14

I think they're made in-house at the Kanna Dinosaur Center (Nakasato), but the Spino was an Expo exclusive.

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2016, 03:44:57 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on September 08, 2016, 11:08:45 PM
Incidentally, what specific company (if any) produced that Expo Spinosaurus set?

It's these guys: http://www.dino-nakasato.jp/shopbrand/ct14

I think they're made in-house at the Kanna Dinosaur Center (Nakasato), but the Spino was an Expo exclusive.

'Kanna DC' it is then. :)

If anyone's got decent pics of the Canadaspis and Marella from Favorite I may use, please share. The PNSO figures have decent enough stock photos I can appropriate.

Roselaar

Roselaar

Roselaar

But Ostafrikasaurus is in. By Hasbro, of all companies!

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on September 14, 2016, 07:36:01 PM
Yeah, but it's in the Brawlers line. Not exactly an accurate figure!

Roselaar

Quote from: SBell on September 15, 2016, 01:31:28 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on September 14, 2016, 07:36:01 PM
Yeah, but it's in the Brawlers line. Not exactly an accurate figure!

But still! Who would ever have expected Hasbro to give us anything beyond A-status dinosaurs for whatever line? Their last truly daring figure in that regard is the Tapejara, which was released in late 2001... Crappy figure or no, somewhere between those hopeless screw-ups who designed the JW stuff was a designer with a little more love for dinosaurs than all the rest of them...

Sim

Has Sinornithosaurus been made more than once?  It's not on the list, but I only know of the Safari toob one.

Roselaar

Quote from: Sim on September 18, 2016, 06:35:44 AM
Has Sinornithosaurus been made more than once?  It's not on the list, but I only know of the Safari toob one.

I was told it has been, I just also don't remember any other figures than that one. Probably a Shapeways figure or something obscure as that. It's hard keeping track of those.

Sim

For what it's worth, searching for "sinornithosaurus shapeways" on Google images doesn't show any Sinornithosaurus figures.  I also searched this thread for "sinornithosaurus" before I made my previous post, and there were no results...

Roselaar

Quote from: Sim on September 18, 2016, 02:34:13 PM
For what it's worth, searching for "sinornithosaurus shapeways" on Google images doesn't show any Sinornithosaurus figures.  I also searched this thread for "sinornithosaurus" before I made my previous post, and there were no results...

I might have my Sinosaurs mixed up then. Sinornithosaurus, Sinraptor, Sinosauropteryx, Sinornithoides, Sinornithomimus... there's just quite a bunch of these Chinese dinosaurs, is there?

Anyone know of a different Sinornithosaurus then? Otherwise I might add it after all.

Halichoeres

For what it's worth, DeMarco's Dinosauriana lists one apiece for Sinornithoides, Sinornithosaurus, and Sinosauropteryx, although that doesn't reflect the new Colorata Sinosauropteryx. I'm certainly not aware of any others.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: