You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Quote from: Sim on February 10, 2017, 12:05:07 AM
I hope you manage to get the Gerrothorax, BlueKrono! :)) :)

Mr. Tokugawa responded very quickly to my email. Of the things I would be willing to give for the Gerrothorax: $26. So excited for its arrival!!! I also ordered the Drepanaspis.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Sim

After you linked to Hirokazu's blog yesterday, I did some searching and that's how I unintentionally found his shop.

Regarding the unique species specimen list, I would suggest the models by him that should be considered for the purpose of the list are the ones we know have been/are available to buy.  So it seems that would mean Gerrothorax and Drepanaspis get removed as BlueKrono mentioned, while Psephoderma and Drepanosaurus get added?

Roselaar

Quote from: Sim on February 10, 2017, 08:25:38 PM

Regarding the unique species specimen list, I would suggest the models by him that should be considered for the purpose of the list are the ones we know have been/are available to buy.  So it seems that would mean Gerrothorax and Drepanaspis get removed as BlueKrono mentioned, while Psephoderma and Drepanosaurus get added?

Sounds good to me. Can you link me towards pics of those models?

Sim

Pics of those models can be seen in his shop: http://www.ne.jp/asahi/fragi/ragi/e.shop.html  If you click on a model it will link to a page with larger photos of that model.  Some of his models have more than one version, but the sculpt appears to be the same so I'm guessing they still count as unique, since in the current unique species list there are figures which are available in more than one colour scheme?

Roselaar

Quote from: Sim on February 11, 2017, 12:12:19 AM
Pics of those models can be seen in his shop: http://www.ne.jp/asahi/fragi/ragi/e.shop.html  If you click on a model it will link to a page with larger photos of that model.  Some of his models have more than one version, but the sculpt appears to be the same so I'm guessing they still count as unique, since in the current unique species list there are figures which are available in more than one colour scheme?

Exactly, it's the sculpt that counts, not the colour. Thanks for the link.  ;)

Adding and removing this week's discussed species now.

Roselaar

Added a decent picture of Canadaspis.

Deleted Thylacoleo.

Roselaar

Eurypterus is off the list. Blame PaleoZoo.

Roselaar

Am I correct in the asumption that Collecta's new Excalibosaurus, Gigantspinosaurus and Regaliceratops are all unique species?

stargatedalek

I've seen bootlegs of the Carnegie Miragaia labelled as Gigantspinosaurus, IDK if those count.

Roselaar

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 19, 2017, 07:09:16 PM
I've seen bootlegs of the Carnegie Miragaia labelled as Gigantspinosaurus, IDK if those count.

That's an interesting dilemma... What do other forum members think about this one?

Halichoeres

I've also seen Carnegie Miragaia knockoffs labeled as Tuojiangosaurus, and Papo Brachiosaurus knockoffs labeled Sauroposeidon, among others. The premise of the list was unique sculpts, correct? I personally think the spirit of that ought to exclude recasts, but it is a debatable point.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 19, 2017, 09:41:48 PM
I've also seen Carnegie Miragaia knockoffs labeled as Tuojiangosaurus, and Papo Brachiosaurus knockoffs labeled Sauroposeidon, among others. The premise of the list was unique sculpts, correct? I personally think the spirit of that ought to exclude recasts, but it is a debatable point.

I feel you're right though, they're basically the same sculpts. If I don't count repaints, then I shouldn't recasts either.

How about busts? Found out there's a Regaliceratops bust on Dans Dinosaurs. It's not the whole animal, but should it still be enough to keep the Collecta figure off the list?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on March 19, 2017, 10:19:59 PM

How about busts? Found out there's a Regaliceratops bust on Dans Dinosaurs. It's not the whole animal, but should it still be enough to keep the Collecta figure off the list?

That's a tough one! How much of the animal is required for it to count? If nobody made a full megalodon figure, but they did make plastic replicas of the teeth, would that count?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

BlueKrono

I would vote no on the knockoffs. One time I saw CollectA Spinosaurus KOs sold by a Chinese seller as "Suchomimus", but that didn't make them Suchs. It was pretty obvious what they were. I would say yes on parts, whether a full skeleton or single tooth. If it's meant to be a certain species by the manufacturer then I would count it as that species. Sometimes just as much research goes into a skeletal or head-only representation as another company's fully fleshed out version.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on March 19, 2017, 10:52:08 PM
I would vote no on the knockoffs. One time I saw CollectA Spinosaurus KOs sold by a Chinese seller as "Suchomimus", but that didn't make them Suchs. It was pretty obvious what they were. I would say yes on parts, whether a full skeleton or single tooth. If it's meant to be a certain species by the manufacturer then I would count it as that species. Sometimes just as much research goes into a skeletal or head-only representation as another company's fully fledged out version.

That's a fact, good point. The Kaiyodo Tarchia skull is on the USL, so I'd say a bust is enough to displace the CollectA. Although I think the bust actually came out over a year ago.

Roselaar

You're right, the Tarchia skull is on the list, so the bust should have been as well (not that it matters any more). As far as the number of parts needed to count for making it to the list, I think I'll draw the line at skulls. They are after all any creature's most defining feature (well, usually). Teeth alone are just to little to go on.

So I can keep the Tarchia skull in. And I'll add the Excalibosaurus and Gigantspinosaurus ASAP.

Any other upcoming 2017 releases that should be on the list? Aside from the vast majority of Mr. Silva's Raptor line? ;)

EDIT: just found there's more to update on the list. Thanks to Paleozoo, Kimberella and Dickinsonia will leave the list. I can safely say Remigolepis, Funisia and Spriggina can be added though. And is there a difference between Charnia and Charniodiscus?

Halichoeres

That sounds like a reasonable line to draw. As for upcoming releases, Colorata is making an Acutiramis. CollectA is making Diplomoceras, Leedsichthys, Australiceras, Parapuzosia, and Baculites, which I think are all unique. The only one that's potentially contentious is the Parapuzosia, because there has been taxonomic confusion between it and Pachydiscus, which has already been made by Kaiyodo. Both CollectA and Colorata are making a Cameroceras, which will knock the Yowie version off the list. That's all I can think of.

BlueKrono

Yeah, who makes unique species teeth anyway?

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 20, 2017, 10:14:27 PM
That sounds like a reasonable line to draw. As for upcoming releases, Colorata is making an Acutiramis. CollectA is making Diplomoceras, Leedsichthys, Australiceras, Parapuzosia, and Baculites, which I think are all unique. The only one that's potentially contentious is the Parapuzosia, because there has been taxonomic confusion between it and Pachydiscus, which has already been made by Kaiyodo. Both CollectA and Colorata are making a Cameroceras, which will knock the Yowie version off the list. That's all I can think of.

Thanks! I need to keep my eyes wide open then this year. :)

DinoToyForum

I'm reviewing the Confuciusornis by PNSO. It isn't in the unique species list, should it be?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: