You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Chilesaurus isn't the only herbivorous theropod.  Besides some birds, other herbivorous theropods are therizinosaurs and very surprisingly the ceratosaur Limusaurus.

BlueKrono

Birds, sure. But that Limusaurus is pretty cool - only discovered 8 years ago. I wonder if Elaphrosaurus was too. They never found a skull. Fascinating stuff... that's what I love about this forum. Thanks for the info.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Roselaar

Quote from: Sim on July 06, 2017, 03:27:53 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on December 21, 2016, 06:07:05 PM
Quote from: Takama on December 21, 2016, 07:24:26 AM

Quote from: Roselaar on December 17, 2016, 02:44:32 PM
Added those five new species. Deleted Ambulocetus, Lythronax, Palaeoloxodon, Pycnonemosaurus, Xiphactinus and Utahceratops.

Have Coahuilaceratops, Glyptotherium, Iberomesornis, Maledictosuchus, Pachycrocuta, Wendiceratops, Xenocheryx, Pentecopterus, Rubeoceratops, Repenomamus, Zhanghenglong and Chilesaurus been done before?

This was done by Lu Feng Shen

Yeah, that's the one I found on DD, which I thought was the only one. But now that another one will be commercially available soon, I won't bother to add it to the list.

Well, it's been over six months since this was posted, and no other Coahuilaceratops figure is being released anytime soon, so perhaps this Coahuilaceratops figure should be added to the unique species specimen list?

Guess you're right, I'll add it soon.

Roselaar

Trouble: Photobucket is now blocking links as well, so all the pics in the USL are dead... Uploading new pics is currently out of the question, I gotta find a new free image hosting site and save the aold stuff first.

Roselaar

Mr. Hammond, I think we're back in business!

The USL links from Photobucket have all been replaced. The list is now fully up and running again. It took a while, but it was worth the effort.

I also took the time to upload Coahuilaceratops. ;)

Halichoeres

The images load so much more quickly than the photobucket links used to do! And with much less obtrusive advertising.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 09, 2017, 06:14:57 PM
The images load so much more quickly than the photobucket links used to do! And with much less obtrusive advertising.

Isn't it awesome?! I can highly recommend Postimage.org. At least until they follow Photobucket, but from the backlash PB created, that's not likely to happen soon.

Sim

Great job Roselaar! :)

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 06, 2017, 06:14:17 PM
Birds, sure. But that Limusaurus is pretty cool - only discovered 8 years ago. I wonder if Elaphrosaurus was too. They never found a skull. Fascinating stuff... that's what I love about this forum. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, Limusaurus is very cool!  It's a very strange and fascinating dinosaur.  It's really interesting how even though they all evolved to be herbivorous theropods, Limusaurus, Chilesaurus, and therizinosaurs are very different from each other.

BlueKrono

Yeah, but you know convergent evolution. Bats, birds and pterosaurs...
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Sim

Yes, it's a good point that convergent evolution can result in very different-looking animals.  Convergent evolution can also result in features that are very close anatomically though, such as the tail fins of ichthyosaurs, mosasaurs, and metriorhynchids, which are all formed by the tail curving down to make up the lower fin lobe with a fleshy upper fin lobe.  Taking similarity due to convergent evolution further, I get the impression that some of the early ichthyosaurs (e.g. Cymbospondylus, Thalattoarchon, Grippia) would overall have looked a lot like mosasaurs.  Anyway, I mostly meant I found the differences between those kinds of theropods interesting as they show rather different forms of how a theropod can be herbivorous, but looking back now I can see I didn't phrase it well.

BlueKrono

Collecta marine critters toob - I know Leedsichthys is one, and probably some of those nautiloid-lookin' things.

Roselaar

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 15, 2017, 02:28:48 AM
Collecta marine critters toob - I know Leedsichthys is one, and probably some of those nautiloid-lookin' things.

You sure about Leedsichthys? I can't imagine nobody bothered to do that one before. It co-starred in a WWD spin-off after all.

The cephalopods definitely are USL material. Now all I need is good pictures of the lot.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Roselaar on July 15, 2017, 11:01:35 AM

You sure about Leedsichthys? I can't imagine nobody bothered to do that one before. It co-starred in a WWD spin-off after all.

The cephalopods definitely are USL material. Now all I need is good pictures of the lot.

I do not think anybody has; I would be surprised if there was one and I was unaware of it. I vaguely remember someone mentioning it as a first timer when the set was announced. I'm sure our fish guys Halichoeres and Sbell would be all over that information.

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 15, 2017, 01:36:47 PM

I do not think anybody has; I would be surprised if there was one and I was unaware of it. I vaguely remember someone mentioning it as a first timer when the set was announced. I'm sure our fish guys Halichoeres and Sbell would be all over that information.

Malcolm Mlodoch made a Leedsicthys for the FaunaCasts line, but I don't think it ever actually got produced. And at any rate, that would have been a super niche product. The CollectA is almost certainly the only one ever mass-produced. There aren't even any on Shapeways.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 15, 2017, 04:36:31 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on July 15, 2017, 01:36:47 PM

Malcolm Mlodoch made a Leedsicthys for the FaunaCasts line, but I don't think it ever actually got produced. And at any rate, that would have been a super niche product. The CollectA is almost certainly the only one ever mass-produced. There aren't even any on Shapeways.

[edited]
Touché. Leeds has never been offered on the FaunaCasts page on Dan's Dinosaurs for as long as I've been aware of the site, but I found this page on it. So yes, I guess it stays.
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=125.0

Roselaar

So, which ones of the species in the new Collecta marine life toob can I add to the list? Baculites, Diplomoceras and Australiceras? But not Leedsichthys?

Also, Cameroceras and Xiphactinus are off.

ZoPteryx

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the models by Vitor Silva has been included on the USL, though I'm not sure if they're still available.

http://vitorsilvapaleoartista.blogspot.com.br/2015/01/colecao-paleo-brasil-miniaturas-venda.html

If included, the following would be removed from the list:
Prionosuchus
Oxalaia
Tupandactylus
Mesosaurus (or added because I think the current one is more likely an old school Knightian mosasaur)
Sacisaurus

And the following would need to be added:
Prestosuchus
Baurusuchus
Brasilotitan
Purussaurus
Eremotherium
Anisopleurodontis
Pampaphoneus
Tiarajudens
Candelaria
Dinodontosaurus
Batrachomimus
Paraphysornis
Paracalmonia
Dalmanites
Metacryphaeus
Burmeisteria
condont sp. (not ID'd to the genus level, so not sure if they count)
Toxodon (?)

He also made a Leedsichthys at one point, and many other unique fish, but I don't know if any are available for purchase.

http://vitorsilvapaleoartista.blogspot.com.br/2017/03/leedsichthys.html

BlueKrono

Wow, what a treasure trove! I'm glad I know Portuguese.

Halichoeres

I thought at least one of his pieces used to be on the USL, but I might be remembering wrong. Did he make a reclining Oxalaia, or was that someone else?

I'm eyeing one or two of these, so if anybody in the States wants to do a joint order and save on shipping, get at me.

Sim

The model currently listed as Mesosaurus in the USL seems to actually be a Kaiyodo Tylosaurus, the one seen in Dan LoRusso's photo here: https://www.facebook.com/TheDinosaurStudio/photos/a.177835332367475.1073741837.166381366846205/183778921773116/?type=3&theater

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 28, 2017, 02:17:29 AM
I thought at least one of his pieces used to be on the USL, but I might be remembering wrong. Did he make a reclining Oxalaia, or was that someone else?

The reclining Oxalaia that's currently representing this genus in the USL is said to be "Guilherme Bilinski Art"...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: