News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo--new for 2019

Started by brettnj, March 29, 2019, 05:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: SBell on July 22, 2019, 07:19:00 PM
Nevermind the figures, I want that display!

DUDE! You and me, BOTH!

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 23, 2019, 11:10:29 PM
DUDE! You and me, BOTH!
It looks amazing. I wonder how they did that water effect, I would love to emulate it.

brettnj

Releasing this month, big t-rex...
http://kaiyodo.co.jp/items/digitalgaragekit/kddk38/

Halichoeres

Oh, good, just what the world needs, another T. rex. Kaiyodo has gotten really boring.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

postsaurischian

Because I pledged for the new Krentz Tyrannosaurus there's no chance this even more expensive model will be in my collection.
  Even if it is a nice sculpt.

ITdactyl

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2019, 08:43:09 PM
Oh, good, just what the world needs, another T. rex.

To people who shop the global market (us?), yeah, it's just another T. rex.  Considering how rare the western brands are in Japan though, the local sentiment is more likely: "finally, a high quality rex".

I also tend to complain that there's a glut of Tyrannosaurus figures - but a quick trip to the mall brings me to reality.  I only have access to Mattel (JP), Schleich, ANIA and Recur.  Unless I'm willing to pay exorbitant import fees, other brands are out of reach.  I've found that the situation is similar in insular Japan.

suspsy

Cool, a new Tyrannosaurus rex! Impressive sculpting, correct positioning of the hands, a skull that isn't shrink-wrapped, an appropriately beefy body, and a decent colour scheme. I'd say this is precisely what the world needs more of!

How big is it?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

I find this image deeply disturbing for some reason...

Bucklander

Straight out of a Hans Giger nightmare. Beautiful, yet deeply disturbing!

mgaguilar

Quote from: suspsy on September 24, 2019, 10:42:23 PM
Cool, a new Tyrannosaurus rex! Impressive sculpting, correct positioning of the hands, a skull that isn't shrink-wrapped, an appropriately beefy body, and a decent colour scheme. I'd say this is precisely what the world needs more of!

How big is it?

avatar_suspsy @suspsy 400mm, so around 15 inches in length?
How expensive is this going to be? It says kit.

CityRaptor

A kit? Okay, that probably means that one has to paint it. Which means that I would have to comission one to do it, as I don't have good enough painting skills for a kit like that. Yeah, that would be expensive and I think I'll pass on that one.

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 23, 2019, 11:10:29 PM

DUDE! You and me, BOTH!

Make that three.

Quote from: Bucklander on September 25, 2019, 01:59:37 PM
Straight out of a Hans Giger nightmare. Beautiful, yet deeply disturbing!

True.
Oh no

stegosauria

Quote from: mgaguilar on September 26, 2019, 05:20:18 AM
avatar_suspsy @suspsy 400mm, so around 15 inches in length?
How expensive is this going to be? It says kit.

15.625 inches if the 400mm is exact. (1 inch is 2.54cm but if I wanna just a quick estimate I just use this: 4inch ~ 10cm)

Halichoeres

Quote from: ITdactyl on September 24, 2019, 09:41:19 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 24, 2019, 08:43:09 PM
Oh, good, just what the world needs, another T. rex.

To people who shop the global market (us?), yeah, it's just another T. rex.  Considering how rare the western brands are in Japan though, the local sentiment is more likely: "finally, a high quality rex".

I also tend to complain that there's a glut of Tyrannosaurus figures - but a quick trip to the mall brings me to reality.  I only have access to Mattel (JP), Schleich, ANIA and Recur.  Unless I'm willing to pay exorbitant import fees, other brands are out of reach.  I've found that the situation is similar in insular Japan.

I get that argument, but I think for most collectors this wouldn't satisfy the demand for a high quality rex anyway. I think relatively few of us build kits in the first place, and this one is over $300 (USD)! I would have guessed that Favorite Co would be more readily available where you are (and certainly in Japan), but maybe their distribution isn't as good as I was assuming. Still, most imports will be cheaper than this model kit.

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 24, 2019, 11:18:09 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on September 24, 2019, 09:19:59 PM

Kinda looks like some sort of Tyrannosaurus city.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0MBBehjHZw

To me it looks more like a Tyrannosaurus amusement park. The print scaffolds remind me of roller coasters.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

CityRaptor

Yeah, that would work, too.

300$? Out of my range.
Oh no

Halichoeres

Well, at least this next thing is less boring than a T. rex kit. Little monochrome Anchiceratops figures, sculpted by Matsumura Shinobu:

CityRaptor

Anyone else thinking of the sick Triceratops from Jurassic Park when looking at these?
Oh no

Halichoeres

Worse and worse.

Both these Tyrannosaurus miniatures and the Anchiceratops seem to be exclusive to a toy fair in Taipei. Which is fine, as I can't imagine demand will be that high.

CityRaptor

Yeah, not getting these, but I think there is clearly a fan base for those Keshi type toys.
Oh no

brettnj

I like the t-rex high-fiving though...

Or low-fiving...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: