You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carboniferous insect nymphs show development of ovipositor.

Started by Halichoeres, April 10, 2019, 04:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

A 'nymph' is an arthropod larva that is relatively similar to the adult; in insects, the term is used for immature stages that won't undergo complete metamorphosis (i.e., won't form a pupa). This paper describes several nymphs from the Carboniferous of Germany, belonging to the extinct order Paleodictyoptera. They seem to belong to the same species in different instars (larval stages), showing how the wings develop, and how the ovipositor develops at the caudal end of the abdomen. Really cool fossils.

Here are some CT scans compared with some photos:

More images in the paper (open access): http://www.geology.cz/bulletin/fulltext/1717_Kiesmuller_190331.pdf
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures