News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fishy encounter (of the prehistoric kind)

Started by Bokisaurus, September 02, 2012, 06:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

I was adding a post on the STS, and decided it could fit here too! I was doing some posts of primitive non-bony fishes, but I decided to first post some lobe-fin models that I forgot earlier. This includes a few less-fishy animals that were in the transition from 'fish' to 'amphibians'. And which give a clear idea of why categories like 'fish' and 'amphibian' can be so awkward when the transitional forms are considered!

SARCOPTERYGII—lobe-fins
OTHER EXTINCT LOBE-FINS--TETRAPODOMORPHA
Osteolepiforms

Kaiyodo recently released a few Paleozoic models, and they fit in here nicely as a little update on their original one.

To scale with 1:24 swimmer.
Clockwise from bottom Left: Kaiyodo Dinotales S6-A Eusthenopteron; The new one! Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Paleozoic series Eusthenopteron on base ; Shapeways 3D-printed Hyneria; Kaiyodo Dinotales S6-B Eusthenopteron

Stegocephalians

A group that I skipped before (other than Tiktaalik)—these animals represent late stages of the Tetrapodomorpha, a paraphyletic group of fish-transitioning-to-land animals. Some of the latest are very amphibian-like, while early ones are more fishy. Except for a few very derived forms...as a group their forms are found in various parts of the world from the late Devonian up to, in a few forms, the late Carboniferous (or late Pennsylvanian, if you use the USGS terms).

To scale with 1:10-ish swimmer.
On land: Starlux Ichthyostega
In the water, L-R: Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 2 Acanthostega; Yujin NHK Miracle Planet Acanthostega off of its black base; Yujin Gashapon re-issue/repaint of Acanthostega

To scale with 1:20-ish guy.
L-R: Prehistoric Panorama Ichthyostega; Kaiyodo CapsuleQ Great Leap Forward series Ichthyostega

To scale with 1:30-ish guys.
L-R: Shapeways grey Crassigyrinus; Play Visions 'prehistoric amphibians' Crassigyrinus; Shapeways grey Crassigyrinus

Despite the much more aquatic niche of Crassigyrinus, this animal is actually relatively derived among the stegocephalian tetrapodomorphs.

So until next times, when the weird extinct ones like Placoderms, Acanthodiians and Agnathans make their appearance! I'll give it at least a few days!

***BONUS MESSAGE as I'm doing this, I thought I'd mention fish that I'm looking for--the Panini lamprey and the new Yowies pupfish. Just throwing that out there!***

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SBell

BlueKrono

It was in a children's magnetic fishing game in the gift shop at Gatorland in Florida. I did a double-take when I saw that unmistakable shape in a blister pack with other fruity-colored modern fish.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 23, 2016, 01:22:58 PM
It was in a children's magnetic fishing game in the gift shop at Gatorland in Florida. I did a double-take when I saw that unmistakable shape in a blister pack with other fruity-colored modern fish.

that is such a weird choice for that kind of set!

BlueKrono

Isn't it though? All of the others were cartoony-looking goldfish type moderns.

Halichoeres

@BlueKrono: I notice you have no megalodon. Too much like a boring old modern shark?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Halichoeres - Yes, to me Megalodon is visually indistinguishable from a great white (and that would be a nearly never-ending addition to what was supposed to be a prehistoric fish-only collection). Cretoxyrhina was even pushing it, bit since it came in the toob along with the others I thought I'd include it.

Halichoeres

A new fish: this weird flying fish from Schleich's advent calendar (also included in the big expensive volcano playset).

To my eye it looks like a Potanichthys. Missing the anal fin, but that's only noticeable from some angles.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 26, 2016, 07:27:09 PM
A new fish: this weird flying fish from Schleich's advent calendar (also included in the big expensive volcano playset).

To my eye it looks like a Potanichthys. Missing the anal fin, but that's only noticeable from some angles.

I wondered if it was based on a real animal. Not sure if I can convince myself to buy even the advent calendar. That's $50 I can find better companies to spend on!

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on September 26, 2016, 07:51:51 PM
I wondered if it was based on a real animal. Not sure if I can convince myself to buy even the advent calendar. That's $50 I can find better companies to spend on!

It looks like it was directly copied from the holotype description. I only spent $30 USD (about $40 Canadian) on this set, but Schleich collectors being what they are, I am confident I will be able to recoup all or most of that by putting the EXCLUSIVE!!!! raptor and compy on eBay down the road.

Flaffy

Really tempted to get the fish, but I'm not willing to dish out $40-$50 on a Schleich set.
May as well spend my money on the 2017 Safari releases, or even get another raptor from David.

BlueKrono

It sure does look like a Pota rather than a modern flying fish.

SBell

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 26, 2016, 07:58:03 PM
Really tempted to get the fish, but I'm not willing to dish out $40-$50 on a Schleich set.
May as well spend my money on the 2017 Safari releases, or even get another raptor from David.

I'm with you--$50 buys a lot of cool things! Maybe teh advent calendars will go on clearance in January or something!

Unless...anyone out there want the dinos and not the fish (and maybe the frog and an ammonite)? ;)

Silvanusaurus

That's easily the most tasteful prehistoric Schleich figure I've seen all year.

Flaffy

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 27, 2016, 08:22:19 AM

In my book, this precious little fishy is easily my favourite and best Schleich figure I've seen.

SBell

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on September 27, 2016, 08:23:11 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 27, 2016, 08:22:19 AM

In my book, this precious little fishy is easily my favourite and best Schleich figure I've seen.

Not gonna lie, still tempting...apparently, Schleich should stick to fish. They all should.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on September 27, 2016, 08:42:07 PM

Not gonna lie, still tempting...apparently, Schleich should stick to fish. They all should.

Speaking of Schleich's fish, although I think their Dunkleosteus is the best of this year's full-size models, I still don't think it's great. I suspect that if the average collector knew as much about arthrodire anatomy as they do about theropod hands, they would be much less kind to the Schleich Dunk.

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 28, 2016, 06:02:19 PM
Quote from: SBell on September 27, 2016, 08:42:07 PM

Speaking of Schleich's fish, although I think their Dunkleosteus is the best of this year's full-size models, I still don't think it's great. I suspect that if the average collector knew as much about arthrodire anatomy as they do about theropod hands, they would be much less kind to the Schleich Dunk.

I enjoy it as a prehistoric fish. I prefer the Safari and Favorite models as better representatives of the 'kind of protocercal' morphology and 'kind of heterocercal-lunate' morphology of Dunkleosteus hypotheses. The Schleich is at least a good start (judging by the scutes, they could make a decent sturgeon...)

SBell

Check out my son's newest Ancient Fish! From the Favorite Vinyl line...

That is next to the Favorite Softmodel coelacanth (and a tiny Colorata one, and a Safari diver). It is ridiculous!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: