News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nessie = Dinomania?

Started by BlueKrono, April 25, 2019, 02:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

As someone who has studiously traced the inspiration for the Marx dinosaur set, I found this article interesting.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-might-know-idea-loch-ness-monster-really-came-190049072.html
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Gwangi

The Books Abominable Science by Loxton and Prothero and Hunting Monsters by Darren Naish both touch on this a fair bit. Incidentally Spicer saw the monster in 1933, the same year that Kind Kong was released. King Kong with its depictions of prehistoric animals (including a long-necked aquatic reptile and semi-aquatic Brontosaurus) was just as popular in 1933 as Jurassic Park was in 1993. Coincidence? I think not.

stargatedalek

This probably explains the design of the famous hoax, but what about the descriptions predating it? None of them describe a plesiosaur of course, rather a nondescript large animal in the water.

I assume the reigning Greenland shark theory still holds there?

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 25, 2019, 05:15:25 PM
This probably explains the design of the famous hoax, but what about the descriptions predating it? None of them describe a plesiosaur of course, rather a nondescript large animal in the water.

I assume the reigning Greenland shark theory still holds there?

The usual; waves, boat wakes, native fishes, birds, maybe even seals. I've heard about the greenland shark theory (River Monsters) but I'm not buying it, seems far fetched to me. Really nothing extraordinary occurs in Loch Ness, it's the same stuff that happens in freshwater lakes around the world, there isn't anything biologically exciting there.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.