You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Promyrmister, a 100 million year old freeloader

Started by Logo7, April 27, 2019, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new genus of clown or hister beetle from the Cretaceous has been described from 100 million year old amber from the amber mines of Myanmar. It has been given the new name Promyrmister kistneri ("Kistner's before ant hister"). The genus name originates from its relationship with stem-ants and its classification as a hister beetle, while the species name originates from Dr. David H. Kitner, an expert on social insect symbionts. This new genus represents the oldest known myrmecophile, suggesting that hister beetles have been living amongst ants since their origin. In the modern day, hister beetles are heavily armored and are able to produce pheromones and chemicals that disguise themselves in an ant colony and pacify the ants within, allowing them to live amongst ant colonies. In fact, hister beetles are so specialized to live amongst ants that they will die if they are seperated from an ant colony. Promyrmister appears to have these same features, suggesting that it led a similar lifestyle. It is believed that Promyrmister went extinct after the extinction of stem-ants, which it relied on for its survival, leading to hister beetles evolving to associate with colonies of modern ants to prevent their own extinction. Here is an image of the specimen in amber as well as a link to the paper that described the new genus.

Paper (open access!): https://elifesciences.org/articles/44985

Halichoeres

This is a cool find! I'll add it to the "insects in Burmese amber" thread, if you don't mind.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ravonium

Nice find. I had never heard of this group of beetles prior to reading this thread  ;)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.