News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Don Glut's dinosaurs

Started by Libraraptor, September 03, 2012, 09:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primeval12

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2012, 09:39:18 PM
Don Glut is also an actor and amateur director. I like his books, and I own many of them, but I find his website to be...distasteful :X

I hate it when those pictures pop up when I google dinosaur toys

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: primeval12 on September 05, 2012, 01:04:17 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2012, 09:39:18 PM
Don Glut is also an actor and amateur director. I like his books, and I own many of them, but I find his website to be...distasteful :X

I hate it when those pictures pop up when I google dinosaur toys
I try to glance down both sides of the street before crossing...or seeing both sides of something. I imagine there are others who hate when they are trying to oogle the women, and the dinosaur pictures keep popping up. Live and let live........
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Don's a great guy though, quite friendly. He let them use his house for the Gary and Eric Dinosaur Shows ..so I've always been envious of his collection from a young age...lol

He and Pete Von Sholley had a band that did dino music..that's where my signature is from. ;)  It's also found on the Dinosaur Valley Girls film he wrote and directed... ;D

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 05, 2012, 01:41:33 AM
Don's a great guy though, quite friendly. He let them use his house for the Gary and Eric Dinosaur Shows ..so I've always been envious of his collection from a young age...lol

He and Pete Von Sholley had a band that did dino music..that's where my signature is from. ;)  It's also found on the Dinosaur Valley Girls film he wrote and directed... ;D
And yes,you guessed it,it was R-rated,for reasons you would expect from seeing his site.Or so I've been told.Really,no bulls**t I swear! ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Seijun

Quote from: Takama on September 05, 2012, 12:50:13 AM
Quote from: Seijun on September 05, 2012, 12:47:24 AM
I love and hate looking at that man's collection. Love for the dinos, but hate for the fact that his collection is so much more awesome than mine, lol. However, I have to be careful about looking at his collection at work during break. I don't want people to get the wrong impression about me *cough*

same deal with me at college

But you are a guy, so you at least have a good excuse..
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on September 05, 2012, 02:12:49 AM

And yes,you guessed it,it was R-rated,for reasons you would expect from seeing his site.Or so I've been told.Really,no bulls**t I swear! ;D

Oh yeah..I own the deluxe dvd version of it..lol It features an Allosaurus as the main character had to have it.. ;D  Yeah an R rating is about right...nothing any adult couldn't see in  a ton of other films though. It also features some really nice stop motion dinos by Thomas Dickens including Big Bad Al.. ;D

Some pics of Thomas's Dinos :

You can find more on his FB page here : http://www.facebook.com/ThomasDickens.Mesozoic.biz

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 05, 2012, 04:18:10 PM
Quote from: John on September 05, 2012, 02:12:49 AM

Oh yeah..I own the deluxe dvd version of it..lol It features an Allosaurus as the main character had to have it.. ;D  Yeah an R rating is about right...nothing any adult couldn't see in  a ton of other films though. It also features some really nice stop motion dinos by Thomas Dickens including Big Bad Al.. ;D

Some pics of Thomas's Dinos :

You can find more on his FB page here : http://www.facebook.com/ThomasDickens.Mesozoic.biz
It was also one of the only two movies that I know of in which a Carnotaurus appears.Basically,one was a Disney movie,and the other more of a "Skinemax" feature. ;D
What a combination huh?
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Libraraptor

What a funny, interesting debate I started! Even worth being outtaken as an extra thread! So, yes, I´m of mixed emotions too. He´s a versatile guy, but those girls are annoying, nor because I do not like nice girls, but because it´s such a strange combination of erotica and prehistoria. Irritates me, I admit.

Jetoar

I like them  ^-^. Allosasurus is scary. If i see this dinosaur face to face, I will think that it is a devil  ;D.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Seijun

Personally, I think its wonderful. One can look at it several ways.
- He has found a way to capture two completely unrelated passions together in the same images in a way that is both unique and entertaining.
- There is certainly no denying that it keeps his collection photos looking 100% recognizable at a mere glance (sort of like a trademark or watermark).
- They show anyone who happens to stumble into one, that people who are interested in dinosaurs and dinosaur collecting are not all lonely nerds and that we can live lives that are just as exciting as anybody else's.
- Each photo has a little bit of something for everyone! (I almost wish I was a guy, so I could enjoy them in their entirety)
- Finally, its makes a great conversation starter.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

mnemosaurus

Quote from: Seijun on September 05, 2012, 07:10:46 PM
Personally, I think its wonderful. One can look at it several ways.
- He has found a way to capture two completely unrelated passions together in the same images in a way that is both unique and entertaining.
- There is certainly no denying that it keeps his collection photos looking 100% recognizable at a mere glance (sort of like a trademark or watermark).
- They show anyone who happens to stumble into one, that people who are interested in dinosaurs and dinosaur collecting are not all lonely nerds and that we can live lives that are just as exciting as anybody else's.
- Each photo has a little bit of something for everyone! (I almost wish I was a guy, so I could enjoy them in their entirety)
- Finally, its makes a great conversation starter.
I completely agree - it seems like you have exactly worded my thoughts :)

The only thing I can add is that this unique/entertaining/untasteful or wathever feeling anybody has about the combination of pin-up girls and dinosaur toys, that it's also surprisingly funny (at least, to me), because it's so very very weird. 

Simon

Let's not over-think this, folks.  Personally I find the site distasteful - even if he had pieces I was interested in viewing, the crass way he chooses to "present them" would prevent me from wanting to go there.

You also have to wonder just what kind of a weirdo he is, looking at that presentation.  The two subjects aren't related.

amargasaurus cazaui

I see it as one big anatomy class. Wheres the problem? Your own signature presents a scantily dressed lady amongst dinosaurs right? Isnt that kinda umm, just what you are criticizing? Each his own I think.......
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Seijun

Quote from: mnemosaurus on September 06, 2012, 07:18:13 AM
The only thing I can add is that this unique/entertaining/untasteful or wathever feeling anybody has about the combination of pin-up girls and dinosaur toys, that it's also surprisingly funny (at least, to me), because it's so very very weird.

Agreed. More than anything, I just think it's funny.

Himmapaan

Of Don Glut himself, I can laugh at or ignore easily enough. I'm pretty indifferent on the whole. But some of the stereotypes thrown up in this thread are pretty absurd.  :P

tyrantqueen

QuoteI see it as one big anatomy class. Wheres the problem? Your own signature presents a scantily dressed lady amongst dinosaurs right? Isnt that kinda umm, just what you are criticizing? Each his own I think.......
Would you still be okay with it if it was scantily dressed men in lurid poses instead?

QuoteI try to glance down both sides of the street before crossing...or seeing both sides of something. I imagine there are others who hate when they are trying to oogle the women, and the dinosaur pictures keep popping up. Live and let live........
It seems unlikely that people would be going on the site to just rubber neck the girls. There are plenty of other sites that cater to that kind of audience. If you know what I mean :-X

I don't see why those women are necessary. The dinosaur models are the things that are supposed to be the objects of interest. Women are not objects.

I also find it a bit creepy considering how old he is *yuck*

Seijun

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 06, 2012, 03:11:28 PM
QuoteI see it as one big anatomy class. Wheres the problem? Your own signature presents a scantily dressed lady amongst dinosaurs right? Isnt that kinda umm, just what you are criticizing? Each his own I think.......
Would you still be okay with it if it was scantily dressed men in lurid poses instead?

*raises hand* I would be ok with that...

(in fact I was going to suggest to my fellow female collectors that we make a version of Don's site which caters to women)

IDEA! For our next DTF photo contest, let's make the theme "dino collectors gone wild" and then turn the entries into a calender, and then sell the calender to raise awareness about our plight, and, and.. Anyone? No?  :-\

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Seijun on September 06, 2012, 06:03:26 PM

*raises hand* I would be ok with that...

(in fact I was going to suggest to my fellow female collectors that we make a version of Don's site which caters to women)

IDEA! For our next DTF photo contest, let's make the theme "dino collectors gone wild" and then turn the entries into a calender, and then sell the calender to raise awareness about our plight, and, and.. Anyone? No?  :-\
I doubt such a venture would be popular in this male orientated hobby :X

amargasaurus cazaui

It seems unlikely that people would be going on the site to just rubber neck the girls. There are plenty of other sites that cater to that kind of audience. If you know what I mean :-X

I don't see why those women are necessary. The dinosaur models are the things that are supposed to be the objects of interest. Women are not objects.

I think this is precisely the point. People go to his site for various reasons, and each gets what they want from the whole.It is a matter of what you choose to see or interpret. If he chooses to portray men in this fashion, I think that is right as well. This is why you have options and choices which sites to block and avoid as well as ones to view. It is a matter of choice.You stated the dinosaur models are the things that are supposed to be of interest...according to whom? He clearly stated these are women colleagues and actresses he knows from his real life that also are featured throughout much of his work. These are people to him, wether you or I agree how he poses them or pictures them.
  Finally the aspect of his age and being creepy...I see a double standard. The women are there posing and such because they wished to be. I somewhat doubt he held them at gunpoint. They were either willingly be paid for their efforts or had no problem helping the "creepy" old man out , in which case, it is still their choice.
   As I said, live and let live. There are far worse problems in the world that could be dealt with. Although having said all that I do find the dusty not well maintained dinosaurs a sad comment to collecting gone wrong. I wish he had invested just a little of his money to respect the collection a little better before picturing, that part does bug me badly for some reason.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 06, 2012, 07:24:27 PM

I think this is precisely the point. People go to his site for various reasons, and each gets what they want from the whole.It is a matter of what you choose to see or interpret. If he chooses to portray men in this fashion, I think that is right as well. This is why you have options and choices which sites to block and avoid as well as ones to view. It is a matter of choice.You stated the dinosaur models are the things that are supposed to be of interest...according to whom? He clearly stated these are women colleagues and actresses he knows from his real life that also are featured throughout much of his work. These are people to him, wether you or I agree how he poses them or pictures them.
  Finally the aspect of his age and being creepy...I see a double standard. The women are there posing and such because they wished to be. I somewhat doubt he held them at gunpoint. They were either willingly be paid for their efforts or had no problem helping the "creepy" old man out , in which case, it is still their choice.
   As I said, live and let live. There are far worse problems in the world that could be dealt with. Although having said all that I do find the dusty not well maintained dinosaurs a sad comment to collecting gone wrong. I wish he had invested just a little of his money to respect the collection a little better before picturing, that part does bug me badly for some reason.
I am aware those women probably chose to do that job of their own accord. So what? It still doesn't change my opinion of the site. It still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.
This is a forum where we are supposed to share opinions. And I am sharing mine :/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: