You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Novice Question: T. rex environment

Started by brontosauruschuck, June 22, 2019, 08:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontosauruschuck

The other day I was mentioning how there was speculation that Tyrannosaurus, if it had feathers, might not have had its whole body covered in feathers since that would be too hot. They asked what kind of environment T. rex lived in. I didn't know offhand.I googled it and acording to EnchantedLearning.com
QuoteT. rex lived in a humid, semi-tropical environment, in open forests with nearby rivers and in coastal forested swamps. The seasons were mild.

I'd like to know a bit more than that. Does anyone know of somewhere (preferably online, since books in English are hard for me to come by) that I could learn more about this?

stargatedalek

Environment of Hell Creek was coastal, lots of marshes. Also had less than mild seasons, probably snow for at least small parts of the year.

Newt

Tyrannosaurus rex is known from the Denver, Ferris, Frenchman, Hell Creek, Javelina, Lance, Livingston, Scollard, and Willow Creek formations, all in north central USA and south central Canada, as well as the McRae, North Horn, and possibly Kirtland formatins in the southwestern USA. Most of these environments conform to the description you gave, but there are some variations; the Scollard, for example, was probably swampier (as indicated by abundant coal) while the Willow Creek was semi-arid (as indicated by a type of deposit called "caliche").

Of course, T. rex probably lived in a broader range of environments than are represented by the places where its remains have been found. Big predators have large ranges, as individuals and as species, as a necessary consequence of their enormous dietary demands. Think of all the places today's largest terrestrial hypercarnivore, the tiger, lives (or lived until recently): not only the wet tropical forests that we think of as its "typical" habitat, but drier tropical scrub in the Indian interior, temperate forest in eastern China and the Himalayan foothills, cold deserts in Central Asia, even the chilly sub-boreal forests of the Amur valley. But only certain environments are likely to preserve fossils of large animals, so we lack direct evidence of the T. rex individuals that almost certainly lived in rugged mountains and windswept steppes.

brontosauruschuck

Thank you both. That was very informative.

HD-man

I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.