News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

New forum - questions and suggestions

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 01:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

This thread is for questions, queries and suggestions about the new forum.
You can also consult the help section here: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?action=help

Takama

every time i make a reply it takes me back to the menue of topics in the section im in.

normaly i like to see my posts to see if something could be modifyied

also,  i cant spellcheck, or at least i havent found the button yet

is this all due to it being in its early stages?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on March 13, 2012, 02:10:08 AM
every time i make a reply it takes me back to the menue of topics in the section im in.

is this all due to it being in its early stages?

These are all things that I'm sure can be done.
Now that we are getting feedback like yours, we can begin to cater the forum to suit everyones needs.

Takama

in case you did not notice, some of us started constructing this forum with thereads that came from the original version.

alright if we continue to do so?  :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Takama on March 13, 2012, 05:45:36 AM
in case you did not notice, some of us started constructing this forum with thereads that came from the original version.

alright if we continue to do so?  :)

Yes, That is great. Ideally I would like to import all of the topics in bulk myself, but the old forum doesn't provide access to the database. So if you want to import specific posts, please do!

The BB code works here as well as there, so they can be copied easily.

DinoToyForum

I've activated a spell-check facility. The button is next to the 'post' and 'preview' buttons under the area where you compose a message.  :)

DinoToyForum

I think I've changed this now so you go to the post page after replying.

Himmapaan

At the moment, when I try to quote a post, I'm taken automatically to the quick reply box, rather than to the standard reply mode (with all the handy buttons :D). It wasn't so previously. Has something occurred with the installation of the quick reply box, perhaps?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Himmapaan on March 13, 2012, 04:47:16 PM
At the moment, when I try to quote a post, I'm taken automatically to the quick reply box, rather than to the standard reply mode (with all the handy buttons :D). It wasn't so previously. Has something occurred with the installation of the quick reply box, perhaps?

Yes, I believe so. You should still be able to go into the standard reply box by clicking the 'reply' button. I don't know why 'quote' sends you to the quick reply. I'm sure there's a settings box I ticked or shouldn't have. ;D I'll see if I can change it.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 13, 2012, 05:04:50 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on March 13, 2012, 04:47:16 PM

Yes, I believe so. You should still be able to go into the standard reply box by clicking the 'reply' button. I don't know why 'quote' sends you to the quick reply. I'm sure there's a settings box I ticked or shouldn't have. ;D I'll see if I can change it.

Fixed I think. But the quick reply is now collapsed by default.  :o

Himmapaan

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 13, 2012, 05:11:17 PMFixed I think. But the quick reply is now collapsed by default.  :o
Alas, no! ;D

Ah, yes, I tried again and it is now!

Dan

I had to enter the random figures and solve basic arithmetic problems before sending a PM. Is this something that will occur every time we send a message? My fragile mind yearns for an easier way.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Dan on March 13, 2012, 10:14:49 PM
I had to enter the random figures and solve basic arithmetic problems before sending a PM. Is this something that will occur every time we send a message? My fragile mind yearns for an easier way.

I don't know! Let me know if it happens again and I'll seek a way to make life easier.

I did set up some basic math questions for the registration process. Without them, spambots were already getting through. But I didn't know they were to be called upon for PMs.

Thundercharge

Maybe I missed it, but can I change my time zone to the one I'm in (US - Eastern)?

Click sig for my collection! :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Thundercharge on March 13, 2012, 10:41:03 PM
Maybe I missed it, but can I change my time zone to the one I'm in (US - Eastern)?

It's a bit difficult for me to answer these questions because the forum functions differently for me as an admin, I see different buttons - maybe I should create a second account so I can log in as a regular member and see how it works from a general perspective. However, I believe that members can personalise the functionality of the forum (and over rule the default settings) by modifying their profiles. I took a screencap of your profile - do you have access to the following area, or is this only visible to me? I've highlighted the time offset area.

Dan

The PM issue doesn't seem to occur with any other messages after the first. A bit weird, though it could discourage members from using the PM system if they fear it's always going to be a "hassle".

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Dan on March 13, 2012, 11:58:13 PM
The PM issue doesn't seem to occur with any other messages after the first. A bit weird, though it could discourage members from using the PM system if they fear it's always going to be a "hassle".

Thanks for the update. At least it is a one off. It must be an extra barrier to spambots that may find their way through the registration process. Spambots like to do their dirty work in the PM area where the moderators can't see, edit or delete them.  :-\

Thundercharge

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 13, 2012, 11:14:12 PM

It's a bit difficult for me to answer these questions because the forum functions differently for me as an admin, I see different buttons - maybe I should create a second account so I can log in as a regular member and see how it works from a general perspective. However, I believe that members can personalise the functionality of the forum (and over rule the default settings) by modifying their profiles. I took a screencap of your profile - do you have access to the following area, or is this only visible to me? I've highlighted the time offset area.
Ah, I was able to find that! It did the trick, thanks! :)

Click sig for my collection! :)

ZoPteryx

Himmapaan

Quote from: Zopteryx on March 14, 2012, 04:37:10 AM
How do I put this picture in my sig?
http://museumpublicity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Platecarpus.jpg

In the signature box of your profile edit, enclose it within the [IMG] [ /IMG] code (without space) just as you would when you post a picture. :)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.