News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

New forum - questions and suggestions

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 01:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Weird, nor me. Sorry about that! And thanks for sharing the picture, that's very helpful.

Judging from the position, it looks like it could be one of the ads going wrong, but based on the code, it seems to be code related to the forum itself. Does this happen all the time, or just occasionally? What browser are you using and do you have some sort of anti-ad software installed?

Ikessauro

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 13, 2013, 06:32:47 PM
Weird, nor me. Sorry about that! And thanks for sharing the picture, that's very helpful.

Judging from the position, it looks like it could be one of the ads going wrong, but based on the code, it seems to be code related to the forum itself. Does this happen all the time, or just occasionally? What browser are you using and do you have some sort of anti-ad software installed?

I am using Firefox 24.0. No, I don't have any anti-ad software right now. It started a few days ago, doesn't happen all the time, usually at least once a day, sometimes more.

amargasaurus cazaui

That almot looks like a java code issue....have you made sure you browser is updated with the latest java update?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

sauroid

just try using another browser like Chrome
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 13, 2013, 09:13:35 PM
That almot looks like a java code issue....have you made sure you browser is updated with the latest java update?

I don't use java on the forum. Perhaps there is some java in the ads, I don't think so, though. I'd be interested to know if anyone else sees similar errors...

Ikessauro

Quote from: sauroid on October 13, 2013, 09:23:02 PM
just try using another browser like Chrome

Nah, I can't get used to it. I've been a Firefox user for so long that Chrome didn't work out for me when I tried to change, even after using it for a few months. Anyway, I'm gonna reinstall java and see what happens. Thanks all for the help.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 13, 2013, 09:11:28 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 13, 2013, 06:32:47 PM

I am using Firefox 24.0. No, I don't have any anti-ad software right now. It started a few days ago, doesn't happen all the time, usually at least once a day, sometimes more.

Thanks for the info. I upgraded the forum to the newest software version today, maybe that will help. Let me know if it stops, or if it is still persists.

amargasaurus cazaui

The error he pictured does look browser based, so lets hope the update solves his issue.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

Is it me, or is the forum having a lot of down time lately? :-[

amargasaurus cazaui

I have experienced no downtime whatsoever myself and I come and go night and day, so it might be a localized issue...not sure

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 17, 2013, 10:01:37 AM
Is it me, or is the forum having a lot of down time lately? :-[

I think you are right, just for a few minutes here and there. I have been informed that this is because we are on a shared server that is overpopulated with other sites. I have therefore arranged to migrate the blog and forum to a dedicated server in the new year, as did the ATF earlier this year. It'll cost more but will be more reliable and faster too. I could have done this this month but purposefully wanted to delay in case something went wrong in the process, as can easily happen, I didn't want to risk the forum/blog going down entirely over the holiday period. :-\ hopefully our current situation carries us into the new year without too much inconvenience!

radman

Any chance we could add a "like" or 'dislike" button to posts, like on FB?  Sometimes, I'll have posted a reply on a particular thread already, and don't want to keep saying the same thing when a new pic or response is added, but might still want to show that I like/dislike it.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: radman on December 17, 2013, 02:05:13 PM
Any chance we could add a "like" or 'dislike" button to posts, like on FB?  Sometimes, I'll have posted a reply on a particular thread already, and don't want to keep saying the same thing when a new pic or response is added, but might still want to show that I like/dislike it.

It is a good idea, I'll look into whether it is possible...

Edit - is this the mod you are looking for? http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3029 Anyone else interested in this forum mod? I can give it a try if so...

Edit 2 - Ah, looks like I have to pay for the pro version if I want to enable 'likes' for individual posts. I don't think I'm willing to pay for this feature, though I'll keep looking to see if there is anything freely available that does the same job...

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a neat idea. I've seen some other forums implementing it.

It does make us a bit like fb though..where you tend to see a post, like it and move on so quickly you don't think about it much. Instead of stopping , reading and leaving an interesting comment. 

Our forum doesn't have a double posting rule or anything so threads can keep being updated by their creators without someone posting a comment before them.  So that's not an issue.

Honestly a good comment inspires exchanges which leads to discussion and that is the basis for a good forum I think.

tyrantqueen

I think a "like" button is a very good idea...but I think it would be best to avoid adding a "dislike" one. People might start abusing it somehow, i.e. disliking someone else's posts all the time just because they don't like that individual (people can fall out with each other and do that sort of thing) Let's just keep things positive :)

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 17, 2013, 05:29:28 PM
I think a "like" button is a very good idea...but I think it would be best to avoid adding a "dislike" one. People might start abusing it somehow, i.e. disliking someone else's posts all the time just because they don't like that individual (people can fall out with each other and do that sort of thing) Let's just keep things positive :)
"Like"
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

I wonder which toys are going to be featured in the 2014 banner 8)

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 23, 2013, 12:17:44 PM
My picks would be: Papo Dilophosaurus, CollectA Carcharodontosaurus and Icthyovenator, Safari Monolophosaurus, Papo Archaeopteryx, and probably one of the ceratopsians- but I don't know. There are so many (seemingly) great relapses this year.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 23, 2013, 12:17:44 PM

I think that's a topic worthy of its own thread, if you'd like to do the honours? :)

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

-Peter Benchley

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.