News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Balaur's Dinosaur Art

Started by Balaur, September 08, 2012, 09:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAllosaur

Wow, you sure do these fast!
Are you going to try my style soon?
Part-time genius!

Balaur

I already have, with my Yutrannus, I will post pics soon.  ;D

TheAllosaur

Part-time genius!

tyrantqueen

The Liopleurodon is very nice, you got the colouration spot-on (heh)

Here's some constructive crit for the hadrosaur, and your artwork in general. It is a good idea to study the bones and muscles of the particular animal you are trying to draw, google image is your friend in this aspect (and I don't mean copying other artist's work, but looking at references does help)

For example- here is a hadrosaurus-

You can see the muscles and tendons bulging beneath the skin, and it helps to make a more convincing and life like animal. It is very important to study how muscles and bones appear beneath skin, and how they affect surface anatomy.

Studying real life animals from photographs is a very good (if not better) idea too.
Otherwise, keep it up.

Balaur

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 09, 2012, 05:31:22 PM
The Liopleurodon is very nice, you got the colouration spot-on (heh)

Here's some constructive crit for the hadrosaur, and your artwork in general. It is a good idea to study the bones and muscles of the particular animal you are trying to draw, google image is your friend in this aspect (and I don't mean copying other artist's work, but looking at references does help)

For example- here is a hadrosaurus-

You can see the muscles and tendons bulging beneath the skin, and it helps to make a more convincing and life like animal. It is very important to study how muscles and bones appear beneath skin, and how they affect surface anatomy.

Studying real life animals from photographs is a very good (if not better) idea too.
Otherwise, keep it up.

Thanks! I drew that hadrosaurus before I leanered more detail. I am off to draw a ceratopsian doing something unusual...

TheAllosaur

Cool! Love weird dinosaur ideas!
Part-time genius!

Balaur

Quote from: TheAllosaur on October 10, 2012, 12:10:52 AM
Cool! Love weird dinosaur ideas!

But this is more bizzare than you can imagine...

TheAllosaur

now i'm excited, i really want to see this!
I love your signature. That is clever. :)
Part-time genius!

Balaur

Quote from: TheAllosaur on October 10, 2012, 01:12:07 PM
now i'm excited, i really want to see this!
I love your signature. That is clever. :)

Glad you dealt with it.  :)

alexeratops

How's the progress on the ''Cerotopsian''? ???
like a bantha!

Gryphoceratops

What are you using for reference on the ceratopsid?  I know it was mentioned above to reference other artist's work but particularly with ceratopsids this can be dangerous.  There are a LOT of incorrect reconstructions out there in particular with the limb anatomy and a few other things. 

Balaur

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on October 11, 2012, 02:27:56 AM
What are you using for reference on the ceratopsid?  I know it was mentioned above to reference other artist's work but particularly with ceratopsids this can be dangerous.  There are a LOT of incorrect reconstructions out there in particular with the limb anatomy and a few other things.

The Dinosaur revolution model is damn accurate, not sure how accurate. Just to get over your worries, my Triceratops DOES NOT have pronated hands. Again, my Triceratops DOES NOT have pronated hands. It also has the correct number of toes. Don't worry on the limbs.  :)

Gryphoceratops

The front limbs/arms should be more sprawled.  Lots of people miss that and is really what I was getting at.  Looking forward to seeing it!

Balaur

My Zuni Basin Tyrannosauroid. It took a week to make him. Enjoy!  ;)

Balaur

Balaur

Sorry for fuzzy blurry picture. I'll post pics tommorow after I get some sleep. My favourite dinosaur ever, Troodon, brooding his clutch of eggs while his mate is out hunting for mammals or lizards. :)

TheAllosaur

Ohhh! I like the bushy tail! Very good!
Part-time genius!

Balaur

Quote from: TheAllosaur on October 17, 2012, 01:46:49 PM
Ohhh! I like the bushy tail! Very good!

Thanks. Here is a better picture.

We have found evidence of parental care in Troodon and that inspired me to draw one like this! School starts soon! Have to go! Wish me luck!  ^-^

ZoPteryx

Great work on the feathery dinos Balaur!  I really like the Yutyrannus. :)

Balaur

Quote from: Zopteryx on October 18, 2012, 05:43:38 AM
Great work on the feathery dinos Balaur!  I really like the Yutyrannus. :)

Why thank you!  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: