News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 11, 2019, 01:07:53 AM
Its true that not all closed mouth figures look odd/ bad. I have the Safari yutyrannus and the Battat cryolophosaurus and their closed mouths look fine to me. I guess its in the execution. And the new deinonychus looks good too.

The thing about those figures is that they have Exposed teeth/ are Lipless. Wheres these figures have no teeth exposed, it is very apparent.

My opinon about the figures being discused here are
I cannot say if these balck lines makes them less realistic or not. But they do not ruin the figures for me :)

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Takama on October 12, 2019, 02:59:01 AM
Its true that not all closed mouth figures look odd/ bad. I have the Safari yutyrannus and the Battat cryolophosaurus and their closed mouths look fine to me. I guess its in the execution. And the new deinonychus looks good too.

The thing about those figures is that they have Exposed teeth/ are Lipless. Wheres these figures have no teeth exposed, it is very apparent.

I cannot say if these balck lines makes them less realistic or not. But they do not ruin the figures for me :)

I like the closed mouths and hope we see more closed mouth carnivores in the future! The black lines are slightly distracting though. For comparison, look at the Safari Komodo dragon or horned toad, both with closed mouths. They also have a dark line for the mouth but it's more subtle, and close to the other coloration of the face. Furthermore, they have clear lip tissue sculpted rather than just a straight line across a flat face. I feel the models in this wave should probably look a bit more like that, with some slightly rounded and protruding soft tissue above the dark line, and the line itself painted in a darker version of the primary head color rather than black. And, lots of other Safari lizards have closed mouths and look fine without any line delineation, because the mouth is just delineated by the sculpt.

I think it's going to take a few years for this to start looking "right" as sculptors and artists begin to figure out what works best in terms of dinosaur lips, the same way feathered dinosaur toys had a very rough adolescence. I do have to say though that Safari is already knocking it out the park with open mouthed lipped dinosaurs. Carnotaurus and however you spell this new synonym of Alioramus look great 😊
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Nanuqsaurus

Most of these new figures seem very good to me! Good job from Safari once again, I'm probably gonna get the majority of them. I was kinda hoping on getting some feathering on the Dilophosaurus though, it looks kinda plain without it. The Deinonychus looks absolutely excelent! :D

terrorchicken

Quote from: Takama on October 12, 2019, 02:59:01 AM

ah! you're right, I just looked at my figures on my shelf and I forgot they do have very tiny teeth! I guess the closed lipped mouth dinosaurs concept is still too new, are these new Safari figures the first toy figures to have them that way?

Patrx

Personally, I'm delighted to see the closed-mouth designs. Especially since the teeth aren't sticking out all gnarly-like.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely like many forum members I applaud Doug's work of making carnivorous animals with closed mouths such as shringasaurus and sarcosuchus and carnivorous dinosaurs such as dilophosaurus, concavenator and deinonychus. They give the dinosaur a realistic look. I sincerely believe that these realistic dinosaurs should be given a new image, carnivorous dinosaurs cannot always be with their mouths open, a considerable part of the day would keep their mouths closed like current carnivorous animals.

What I also value of Doug's carnivorous animals is that they all have lips is more scientifically correct although we are not contemporaries of dinosaurs I understand from the latest scientific discoveries that these animals should have lips. Before the vision we had of the carnivorous dinosaurs was a terrifying vision of them and now with the new discoveries it is very far from reality. On the other hand, the qianzhousaurus of Safari with lips has turned out great and although I really like all the new prehistoric animals of Safari 2020 I prefer by far the six Cretaceous creatures over the two of the Jurassic and the beautiful and expected figure of the Triassic shringasaurus.

On the other hand, that "scar" of pachycephalosaurus war has been great and I am glad Doug has made a pachycephalosaurus with a medium-sized size and no scale. Thank you Doug and thank you Safari for everything you are doing with collectors with your beautiful prehistoric works of 2020.

The Atroxious

See, I'm on board with the closed-mouth designs. Always having dinosaurs gaping is weird to say the least. Actually, I remember being confused about why dinosaur toys always had open mouths when I was a little kid. My problem is that I'm just not the biggest fan of lips. I feel like you can make them look passable on some derived theropods, as though going for a sort of proto-beak, but I much prefer the lipless, crocodilian look. I feel like there's a lot of evidence that liplessness was relatively common in archosauria, therefore erring on the side of caution leaves most if not all dinosaurs lipless. I've also always liked the snaggletoothed look of actual crocodilians, so I prefer the aesthetics of exposed theeth as well.

suspsy

I would be thrilled if Safari's next tyrannosaur figure had a closed mouth, especially if it was Tarbosaurus or Zhuchengtyrannus.

A closed mouth machairodont would also be appreciated.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

PrimevalRaptor

I'm very much in favor of the lip covering, it just looks much more natural this way than if the teeth were just freely out there (and even exposing the gums like some reconstructions do) and I'm also a big fan of the closed mouths in general. It's just really refreshing to have dinosaurs, especially theropods that don't look like they're performing at a Metal concert. :D

Shadowknight1

I think the closed, lipped mouth looks fine on Deinonychus, but it looks truly bizarre on Dilophosaurus.  Especially since the lips kinda hide the notch that is Dilophosaurus's second most well known feature aside from its crests.

Imma buy that Deinonychus though.  That sucker is fantastic looking.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on October 13, 2019, 06:25:50 PM
I think the closed, lipped mouth looks fine on Deinonychus, but it looks truly bizarre on Dilophosaurus.  Especially since the lips kinda hide the notch that is Dilophosaurus's second most well known feature aside from its crests.

Imma buy that Deinonychus though.  That sucker is fantastic looking.

If theropods had lips, one consequence is that they would have hidden features visible in the skeleton. This kind of makes them seem more generic, but that's exactly what we see in many modern animals - their appearance in life is usually far less dramatic looking than you might guess from their bones. It's the whole All Yesterday's idea.

For example, here's Jaime Headden's recon of a lipped Masiakasaurus https://qilong.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/dr-masiaka-meet-mr-vicious/
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Duna

Wonderful year for Safari. Magnificent job, Doug. I'll be getting myself yes or yes the edmontosaurus (superb), the deinonychus (the best done by now for me), the pachy (a must also) and the ichtyosaurus. The more I watch that ichtyosaurus, the more I want it, the painting suits perfectly as in dolphins do, the eye is just so life like, perfect size for collecting, looks so smooth  ... I just can`t wait for it. I'll think about the concavenator (really nice) and the dilophosaurus (it has something that does not convince me). Shringasaurus and sarcosuchus may have to wait, I have to make a selection about what to collect.

Halichoeres

I'm not the first to make this observation, but it's pretty great that such good Edmontosaurus and Sarcosuchus models are coming out this year, as it means I won't be tempted to buy the JW versions...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

indy1936

I saw an article recently mentioning that there probably weren't lips in tyrannosaurs. Is there really that much of a consensus on the lips? Not sure if this was it but here:  https://www.livescience.com/58474-new-tyrannosaur-had-no-lips.html

suspsy

Quote from: indy1936 on October 19, 2019, 03:57:33 AM
I saw an article recently mentioning that there probably weren't lips in tyrannosaurs. Is there really that much of a consensus on the lips? Not sure if this was it but here:  https://www.livescience.com/58474-new-tyrannosaur-had-no-lips.html

No, there really isn't a consensus. Ask Thomas Carr and he'll say they didn't have lips; ask Darren Naish or Thomas Holtz and they'll say it's still an ongoing topic of debate; ask Gregory Paul and he'll say they did indeed have lips.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Ok  Safari must still be sending samples out to Youtubers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPb1jRzSU7s

Ravonium

Quote from: Takama on October 19, 2019, 06:24:06 PM

He does say in the video that it's one of many early access samples Safari is sending him.

Also, I found a comment stating that they'll be released on November 1. Is this backed up by anywhere?

MLMjp

It looks a bit goofy, I kinda miss the exposed teeth on this one.

Takama

Quote from: Ravonium on October 19, 2019, 06:34:28 PM
Quote from: Takama on October 19, 2019, 06:24:06 PM

He does say in the video that it's one of many early access samples Safari is sending him.

Also, I found a comment stating that they'll be released on November 1. Is this backed up by anywhere?

From what i no.

Dan of Dans dinosaurs made a picture showing that Only the Pachycephalosaurus will be out in November. the rest will be out in December.

Of course maybe things have changed so who knows

MLMjp

Everyone, I don't know if we new this already but the dinosaur toy blog is on the safari website:
https://store.safariltd.com/

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: