News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

'Himmapaanensis'

Started by Himmapaan, March 17, 2012, 04:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sepp

Wow, that smallest brush is just tiny! You're so talented, you must have hands fit for a surgeon!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hehe ! Looks like one of your favorite characters. ;D

You'd be surprised how good it feels to chew an itch every once in awhile.. ;) :lol

Himmapaan

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 10, 2012, 08:43:07 AM
Hehe ! Looks like one of your favorite characters. ;D

You'd be surprised how good it feels to chew an itch every once in awhile.. ;) :lol

It is! It's Gibran, if anyone else remembers him... Here he is completed.

His colours seem richer and subtler in the original to me, if that makes any sense at all.

Arioch

That´s really brilliant, man!  :D

But...I have to ask, why the forelimb nails?

Himmapaan

Quote from: Arioch on April 10, 2012, 08:02:37 PM
That´s really brilliant, man!  :D

But...I have to ask, why the forelimb nails?
Because they have them. ;) Scott Persons pointed this out to me himself when I submitted the Olorotitan & Tarbosaurus race for his art request. The 'hadrosaurs have no hand claws' thing is a mistake. Hadrosaur hands have unguals which supported claws. I mentioned this on my old thread on V.1 at the time, too. :)

Arioch

Interesting. Do you have a link or some copy of Persons posts, or his source ? the thing is, in theory the shape of unguals tell us that they are meant to support keratinous sheaths, like a hoof. But I´m curious to see this other theory.  :)

Himmapaan

His sources, I'm sure, constitute part of his PhD studies.  ;D The Dave Hone article I linked to is the easiest one I could find online. If you like, I suppose I can dig up Scott's emails and forward them to you... But they don't include links if that's what you're after.

I must say I'm rather amused by the fact that all the other hadrosaurs I'd drawn since the race have had claws but you never remarked on any of them.  ;D

Arioch

That would be nice, but I don´t want to bother you too much... :-\ Does he have a blog or something? Maybe I could do my own research...

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 10, 2012, 08:56:38 PM

I must say I'm rather amused by the fact that all the other hadrosaurs I'd drawn since the race have had claws but you never remarked on any of them.  ;D

I guess their beauty just dazzled me...!

But now that you mention it, I think I remember a little conversation we had about this....hmm, old times...

Blade-of-the-Moon

I actually noticed those myself just now and was going to point it out..I suppose looking at the head nibbling the foot makes you pause and wonder.  I recall my juvi Para doesn't have them  after one of our discussions on here ended with the conclusion they were like sauropod feet.

..now I need to add some.. lol ;D

Weaver

Niroot, I love Gibran the Olorotitan. He's so pudgy and just... adorable.

Speaking of brushes. In a attempt, a very stupid one, to see how different inking with a dip-pen versus a brush is, my opinion of you has soared. I'm more than impressed now. That is a hard technique (even with the smallest of my old Grummbacher brushes) and you do it so masterfully that it looks effortless.

0onarcissisto0

If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Himmapaan

I hope the ':P' is not you being sardonic, Jeb.  :P ;D 

Thank you for everyone's kind words. This has become another favourite of mine, though I know it may not be such a hit with most, what with him being a mere youngster and not one endowed with vulgar teeth and claws.  :P

Himmapaan

I went drawing at the Natural History Museum today.

Flamingo metacarpals. The label says 'European Flamingo,' though perhaps it should be more properly 'Greater Flamingo'; Phoenicopterus ruber roseus.

Shoebill. Balaeniceps rex.

Sumo

Beautiful pieces as usual! Shoebills are such interesting birds, and you've captured its expression perfectly. (I miss the NHM... you're so lucky to get to go there whenever you have time!)
The little Oloro is just adorable!
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

postsaurischian

:D :D

I'm deeply in love with Shoebills!
If a Shoebill ain't a Dinosaur I'm going to eat a broom!!!

Himmapaan

Thank you both!

The cabinet containing the various wings were next to those of the feet. Whilst drawing the flamingo metacarpals, I lost count of the number of times the small children who came to look at the feet ask their parents if they belonged to dinosaurs. I so wanted to exclaim 'yes, they do!'

Oh, Ingunn, I remember you asked a little while ago about the Roelandt Savery painting of the Dodo at the NHM. I have a photograph of it if you'd like to see it.  :)

Himmapaan

Blade-of-the-Moon

DinoLord

Very nice! I regret not seeing the one with all the DTF members in it earlier. If you ever continue it or redo it make sure to include a Giraffatitan.  :D

Himmapaan

Haha, Chris, thank you for such an exuberant response.  ;D

Andrew, I'd included you in that first version as an Utahraptor; that's what you said you were once. But I'll change you into a Giraffatitan next time if you wish (not a Brachiosaurus?).  ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: