News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Youtube & COPPA

Started by DinoToyForum, November 26, 2019, 01:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Right. I'm seeing little mention on a lot of the channels I watch, but news of this is spreading slowly.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Hey! Just saw this and mention of me. So, it seems like a lot of YouTube channels discussing this issue have let fear get the better of them. The fact of the matter is, the press conference by the FTC stated that channels could be fined UP TO $42,000 if found to be in violation of the law. I recommend anyone who is worried take a gander at this link: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2019/11/youtube-channel-owners-your-content-directed-children

These two passages tend to tell it how it is. For dinosaur *toy* review channels, I am uncertain. But you could definitely try, since it should be covered under what they state on their website.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

DinoToyForum

Quote from: E.D.G.E. (PainterRex) on November 27, 2019, 10:25:11 PM
Hey! Just saw this and mention of me. So, it seems like a lot of YouTube channels discussing this issue have let fear get the better of them. The fact of the matter is, the press conference by the FTC stated that channels could be fined UP TO $42,000 if found to be in violation of the law. I recommend anyone who is worried take a gander at this link: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2019/11/youtube-channel-owners-your-content-directed-children

These two passages tend to tell it how it is. For dinosaur *toy* review channels, I am uncertain. But you could definitely try, since it should be covered under what they state on their website.

Thanks for you thoughts. If the subject matter is dinosaurs etc in general, as your channel is, then I guess you're on safe ground. On the other hand, there's a strong correlation between kids and dinosaurs in pop culture and society in general. Ultimately, Youtube will the final arbiter, and who can be confident about what 'they' or their bots will think?

I think any content about toys in particular will fall at the first hurdle as per that bullet point list ("The subject matter"). If the subject matter is toys then I can see that being categorised as "directed to children" whether we agree or not. You said "you could definitely try", but isn't that a mighty big risk if it goes wrong?

Takama

Im just going to lay this out there.

If they feel you misslabled your videos. and they give you a fine.

They will Fine you FOR EVERY VIDEO DEEMED NOT KID FRIENDLY ::) which will add up

I never uploded anything to youtube other then a few museum videos but i removed everything because i dont want to risk it.

Honestly, i would not be surprised if we see the end of Youtube.

DinoToyForum

I don't think that's likely. The more I think about it, the more I expect we will see some clarification from Youtube before the new year confirming that content intended for general audiences is not at risk. And half of Youtube will breathe a sigh of relief. Time will tell.

Ravonium

The thing I've taken home from this is that video-sharing is pretty much in an opposite situation to streaming services right now; one market has too much competition and the other doesn't have enough.

Ikessauro

I myself have set my channel as "Not made for kids" at least for now. I love making videos for YouTube and revenue coming from AdSense isn't enough to pay even my internet bill, but I do the videos for the love of collecting. What concerns me the most is losing the ability of being recommended, shared, have comments etc. That kills a channel. If you mark your videos as for kids, it automatically will have those things removed from your disposal.

If that happens to my channel, I'd rather stop making videos altogether than continue making them for nobody to see. So, I will not mark my channel for kids and I'll see what happens.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Ikessauro on December 02, 2019, 01:32:20 PM
I myself have set my channel as "Not made for kids" at least for now. I love making videos for YouTube and revenue coming from AdSense isn't enough to pay even my internet bill, but I do the videos for the love of collecting. What concerns me the most is losing the ability of being recommended, shared, have comments etc. That kills a channel. If you mark your videos as for kids, it automatically will have those things removed from your disposal.

If that happens to my channel, I'd rather stop making videos altogether than continue making them for nobody to see. So, I will not mark my channel for kids and I'll see what happens.

After watching the following update from Youtube about COPPA, which answers some relevant questions, I'm thinking of setting my channel back to "Not made for kids".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdIlQ9kq4F4

DinoToyForum

Whilst, at the same time, many dinotubers are announcing their departure from Youtube altogether. e.g. B @BionicleSaurus is moving to Instagram Video.

What havoc COPPA is causing!

Andysdinosaurreviews

Personally,  I would stay strong and mark it as "not for kids". That's what I'm doing. At first I wasn't sure, and even started planning for ways to still get my videos out there, but after the most recent string of youtube/coppa videos came out, I've decided to just stay strong and stick with the "not for kids" tagline. I wouldn't want to see your channel disappear and it deserves to be seen. That's just my opinion though.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on December 28, 2019, 12:54:56 AM
Personally,  I would stay strong and mark it as "not for kids". That's what I'm doing. At first I wasn't sure, and even started planning for ways to still get my videos out there, but after the most recent string of youtube/coppa videos came out, I've decided to just stay strong and stick with the "not for kids" tagline. I wouldn't want to see your channel disappear and it deserves to be seen. That's just my opinion though.

Thanks for your thoughts A @Andysdinosaurreviews

In the end, I decided to set certain videos as made for kids (the songs), but most of the channel - reviews, unboxings, etc. - as not made for kids. Because, honestly, that's the truth. We will see what happens...

Andysdinosaurreviews

Glad to hear it. Definitely a good choice. Straight from YouTube's mouth, they said "just be honest" and just like me, we know our audience and who we are targeting. Anybody with half of a brain should have no problem looking at either of our channels and clearly seeing that we don't target children.

DinoToyForum

Yeah, I think we are doing the right thing.

BTW, you are very welcome to create a thread on the forum to promote your channel and videos. At the very least put a link in your signature. :)

Libraraptor

It was the right decision.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Libraraptor on December 30, 2019, 07:58:39 AM
It was the right decision.

Let's just hope Youtube don't shut us down if they disagree.

Sim

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 30, 2019, 12:02:52 AM
[...]

In the end, I decided to set certain videos as made for kids (the songs), but most of the channel - reviews, unboxings, etc. - as not made for kids. Because, honestly, that's the truth. We will see what happens...

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum, do you think it would be worth re-uploading the Top 10 'Raptor' Dinosaur Toys video, since you uploaded it as a "for kids" video?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on December 30, 2019, 02:35:08 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 30, 2019, 12:02:52 AM
[...]

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum, do you think it would be worth re-uploading the Top 10 'Raptor' Dinosaur Toys video, since you uploaded it as a "for kids" video?

That video is already set as "not made for kids".  :)

DinoToyForum

The restrictions are now in place for "made for kids" videos. Which means some of my videos no longer have a comment section. However, the comments haven't been deleted, and if I change a video's setting to "not made for kids" then all the old comments reappear.

EmperorDinobot

What this toy reviewer I know does is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEs2U7ICv08&list=PLOx-mPdaMuNTIBh9soWlfOVJk32wjXnep&index=1

First a banner saying that it's for 13 and older, and then he verbally states the former.

Tylosaurus

Well I deleted all my YT Content I want nothing to do with this COPPA garbage, even my videos were not aimed at Children, I don't have a su of 42.000 EUR per video  if I would be reported for their nonsense  YT days are over for me tbh.
And the EU is to blame for this overrated thing, too may useless rules, YT was fine back int he old days when it wasn't part of that strange Google+ thing.

Everything has to be as complicated as possible these days, it's useless.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: