News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I do have to say that their Therizinosaurus is the best version of that genus at a decent size.

Mirroraptor

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 31, 2019, 12:53:59 AM
Quote from: Szajmin on December 31, 2019, 12:22:07 AM
QuoteOh man, i forgot.

I think that Quetzalcoatlus, Tupuxuara, Archeopteryx, Iguanodon are also quiute ok, however first two are not dinosaur.

Dimorphodon is maybe to much of a monster.  Pteranodon is classing looking.
I do not know what to think about Therizinosaurus.

There are also few prehistoric mammals (exept maybe for maned smilodon, but maybe its just speculative paleoart), dimetrodon that are accurate (as for papo standards)

Papo Pteranodon has teeth while the real Pteranodon was toothless.
Papo Dimetrodon is very reptilian; the real Dimetrodon wasn't a reptile but an early synapsid (a stem mammal).
Probably Dimetrodon was like this:

And so on; Patrx is right:

Quote from: Patrx on December 31, 2019, 12:41:05 AM
I don't think any Papo dinosaurs are the most "accurate" toys of their genus available.

-

I wouldn't be surprised if those teeth were interpreted as intraoral derivatives like sieve plates. True pterosaur teeth should be attached to the bill, not the inside of the bill. You can think of them as teeth made in the wrong place, or just derivatives in the mouth, no problem with both, I think it is closer to this:

To be fair, PAPO's Tupuxuara and Quetzalcoatlus are impeccable. Dimorphodon's posture was strange and the tail was too short, and Pteranodon was given an unproven sieve plate and a opposite fifth toe. However, PAPO successfully restored the developed forearm endogenous muscles that pterosaurs should have, instead of having a thin forearm like a bird. In general, PAPO's pterosaurs still should be at the top level in this industry.
Finally, is it necessary to distinguish "accuracy" from "popularity"? I think it is questionable. Any product is limited by its time, so it is impractical to demand the old products with the latest viewpoint.
Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 27, 2019, 11:44:28 AM
Understanding of paleontology is in rapidly changing and evolving just like life itself. Those who criticize Jurassic Park may become the new 'Jurassic Park' in the future-who knows? It was just gozippohyappo(ごじっぽひゃっぽ).

tanystropheus

I don't think any Papo dinosaurs are the most "accurate" toys of their genus available.

I would say that Papo has the most "accurate" Gorgosaurus and Chilesaurus in toy form  ;)

tanystropheus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 31, 2019, 12:53:59 AM
Quote from: Szajmin on December 31, 2019, 12:22:07 AM
QuoteOh man, i forgot.

I think that Quetzalcoatlus, Tupuxuara, Archeopteryx, Iguanodon are also quiute ok, however first two are not dinosaur.

Dimorphodon is maybe to much of a monster.  Pteranodon is classing looking.
I do not know what to think about Therizinosaurus.

There are also few prehistoric mammals (exept maybe for maned smilodon, but maybe its just speculative paleoart), dimetrodon that are accurate (as for papo standards)

Papo Pteranodon has teeth while the real Pteranodon was toothless.
Papo Dimetrodon is very reptilian; the real Dimetrodon wasn't a reptile but an early synapsid (a stem mammal).
Probably Dimetrodon was like this:

And so on; Patrx is right:

-

Pteranodon and Dimorphodon are based on the JP universe so it doesn't make sense for them to be too accurate. Papo does have the most accurate Tupuxuara in toy form (sure, it lacks pycnofibres but so does the Sideshow on which it is based). The Quetzalcoatlus is a relatively controversial piece...

tanystropheus

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2019, 02:38:24 AM
I do have to say that their Therizinosaurus is the best version of that genus at a decent size.

Totally agree.

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 31, 2019, 02:55:55 AM
Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2019, 02:38:24 AM

Totally agree.

Also agree. Despite its flaws it's still a nice figure.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Takama on December 31, 2019, 01:28:46 AM
Lets all face the facts

Papo Never Strives for Scientific Accuracy.

any instance where it seems like they are, is pure coincindence.
Yep, the reason the carnotaurus and acrocanthosaurus are so accurate is because they are coincindently monstrous. The thing is papo wont use their talent and skill for scientific accuracy but jurassic park style figurines, which i  do appreciate, but also is slighlty annoyed by. They aim for

avatar_Patrx @Patrx  and avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow  we can't really know exactly how dimetrodon looked, same with basically any other prehistoric animal.
The acrocanthosaurus and carnotaurus are actually some of most accurate of their kind, if not, the most accurate.

Paleontology is always changing, and we may never figure it out.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 31, 2019, 02:49:57 AM

I would say that Papo has the most "accurate" Gorgosaurus and Chilesaurus in toy form  ;)
avatar_tanystropheus @tanystropheus  I mean, those are the only ones in toy form,  :)) :'(. Although gorgosaurus is fairly accurate (if feathers dont exist) but i dont know about chilesaurus

Flaffy

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 31, 2019, 06:04:03 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 31, 2019, 02:49:57 AM

avatar_tanystropheus @tanystropheus  I mean, those are the only ones in toy form,  :)) :'(. Although gorgosaurus is fairly accurate (if feathers dont exist) but i dont know about chilesaurus

I'd argue that the WWD3D Gorgosaurus figures are far more accurate than Papo's attempt.

Loon

And avatar_Jetoar @Jetoar's Chilesaurus is also far more accurate.

Also, I'm so sick of this "paleontology is always changing", "we don't know what they really looked like" baloney. Cuz those are totally legit reasons for not even trying to create something accurate to the modern understandings of these animals.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2019, 07:08:41 AM

Also, I'm so sick of this "paleontology is always changing", "we don't know what they really looked like" baloney. Cuz those are totally legit reasons for not even trying to create something accurate to the modern understandings of these animals.

It's actually exactly like that.  I spend months making a life size dino only to have science change it a few months later. It's the nature of the beast. All of these past paleoartists thought they were making something as accurate to their understanding as possible at the time. Once you accept that you begin to see how truly stressful it is for artists to create something in this field.    The plus side when it comes to toys, we will never run out of things to collect because of it.  It's the journey not the end product because we will never know 100% for certain.  The point is to keep trying.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2019, 07:08:41 AM

Well what if i told you it was bacon and not baloney. >:( Throughout history, what happened in the study of paleontology. It changed! Scientist from 100 years ago will be baffled to see what we think now. and who knows the next 100 years. the only baloney i see is when people dont understand the history of science

Loon

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I understand the time, effort, and research that goes to creating (at the time) accurate models. I should state that I don't disagree withe either the statements I mentioned. I do disagree with their use as shields for reconstructions that place artistic liscense over accuracy, as many Papos do.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Stegotyranno on December 31, 2019, 06:01:04 AM

avatar_Patrx @Patrx  and avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow  we can't really know exactly how dimetrodon looked, same with basically any other prehistoric animal.

Paleontology is always changing, and we may never figure it out.

Of course, I agree with you.
We are talking about extinct animals we never saw.
But it's quite probable that a synapsid doesn't exactly look like a reptile just because it's far more close to mammals than archosaurs.
The point is that Papo creates its figures to be popular not accurate.
Their Tyrannosaurus are heavily "inspired" by JP/JW.
Same for Brachiosaurus/Triceratops/Pteranodon/Pachycephalosaurus/Velociraptor.
Sometimes theropod hands are pronated (just the way popolar culture depicts dinosaurs).
Papo Plesiosaurus has a "swan-like neck" and that's anatomically wrong (but it resembles popular illustrations about Loch Ness monster).
Most of the new figures have extreme or not-natural poses just to be "cool" to the eyes ( Giganotosaurus ?  ;) ).
A couple of years ago Papo' sculptor said that he wasn't that into prehistoric animals but he always use popular images to create figures.
Probably he was thinking about dinosaurs as fairy-tales creatures/movie-monsters, not as real animals.
Papo prehistoric animals may look great but accuracy is the last of Papo' thoughts.
:)

Loon

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 31, 2019, 07:34:30 AM
A couple of years ago Papo' sculptor said that he wasn't that into prehistoric animals but he always use popular images to create figures.

I wonder, has there been a Papo design not based on some form of pop culture?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2019, 07:32:09 AM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon I understand the time, effort, and research that goes to creating (at the time) accurate models. I should state that I don't disagree withe either the statements I mentioned. I do disagree with their use as shields for reconstructions that place artistic liscense over accuracy, as many Papos do.

That's a fine line to tread to be sure. I tend to think of most things as "speculative" but you have to know the artist's intent to really label what your seeing as speculative, creativity, fantasy elements, ect..  They could do an elephant trunk on a sauropod and still be within some plausibility.  Leaving off a Velociraptor's " killing claw" on the foot is just plain wrong. It's all incredibly subjective too.

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2019, 07:38:42 AM

Well..you mean popular art? Or movies, film, ect?   The Apatosaurus was just basically the scaled down version of the Sideshow piece by Jorge Blanco .  I can't place the Cerato or Penta on exact existing media.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 31, 2019, 02:39:37 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if those teeth were interpreted as intraoral derivatives like sieve plates. True pterosaur teeth should be attached to the bill, not the inside of the bill. You can think of them as teeth made in the wrong place, or just derivatives in the mouth, no problem with both, I think it is closer to this:

About Papo Pteranodon, I think the all thing is far more simple:  Papo' sculptor used JP Pteranodon as reference.
And JP Pteranodon has teeth just because it looks more aggressive with them.
That's all..
I'm not an expert about flying reptiles but, as far as I know, "Pteranodon" (from Greek) means "toothless wings".
If you know about more recent studies about teeth on Pteranodon, please post a link, it could be really interesting.

Mirroraptor

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 31, 2019, 08:58:17 AM
Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 31, 2019, 02:39:37 AM

About Papo Pteranodon, I think the all thing is far more simple:  Papo' sculptor used JP Pteranodon as reference.
And JP Pteranodon has teeth just because it looks more aggressive with them.
That's all..
I'm not an expert about flying reptiles but, as far as I know, "Pteranodon" (from Greek) means "toothless wings".
If you know about more recent studies about teeth on Pteranodon, please post a link, it could be really interesting.

Pteranodon in Jurassic Park 3 does have teeth-like oral derivatives, but like PAPO, these things that look like teeth have grown in the wrong place (oral cavity).  Marsh used to think a small tooth fossil unearthed next to the Pteranodon's fossil as Pteranodon's tooth, but later discovered that it was a fish tooth. Beyond that, there is no reason to think that teethless pterosaurs may grow teeth or tooth-like derivatives like ducks. But the idea of fish-eating pterosaurs having tooth-like derivative in the mouth to help them catch their prey is novel and I have to admit that I would like this design.

Mirroraptor

Quote from: Loon on December 31, 2019, 07:38:42 AM

Are there any original report about the interview with PAPO artist? I'm interested in this, but google didn't tell me more.

Andreioli

Another in-hand photo of the Giganotosaurus from Baidu:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: