News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Who has the best Giganotosaurus

Started by Stegotyranno420, November 29, 2019, 06:13:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has the best Giganotosaurus (repaints and minis not included)

Pnso
Safari Ltd(Carnegie)
Schliech(new)
Schliech(old)
Geoworld
TipToi
Mojo
Schliech(Juvenile)
Vitae
Bullyland
Eofauna
Resaurus(Carnage)
Other(Comment)
Wild Safari
Papo
Mojo(2020)

suspsy

My personal favourite is the Carnegie Collection version, but objectively, I have to vote for Eofauna's.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Loon

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sim on February 13, 2020, 02:50:34 PM
avatar_Brocc21 @Brocc21 avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Schleich makes a juvenile Giganotosaurus which is one of their better figures.

You know the way I read the question was " Is there a Giganotosaurus figure that would work as a ( life size ) juvenile..? "  this explaons so much about my 1:1 obsession.  ;D

Leyster

Quote from: Duna on December 24, 2019, 03:37:37 PM
I think something happened with the Vitae giga sculpt that had finally made it not look as accurate as Eofauna's, not only about the chin. The 3D reconstruction looked good but it had remarkably enlarged legs: tibia, metatarsals, feet ... which at the end made the real figure (which has a more upright pose) look taller and compacted.

Eofauna, on the other hand, did represent perfectly the known parts of the skeleton as the tibia, so their model's legs are shorter, as Scott's reconstruction. The only main difference is Scott's version to the unknown part of the lower jaw, and for me, it's as good as valid his or Eofauna's, as they are not based in real material.

We should be on the moon that the most accurate giganotosaurus figure costs only 26€ without the need to pay 100$ for a nice resin sculpture. Which is really fantastic to make it affordable to most people.
Hrm... No offense, but I do not agree with your reasoning. Here you can see a comparison with Franoys's Giganotosaurus (that is posed with more straight legs than Hartman's)... sadly I butchered the hip area to rotate the leg and the shiluette doesn't fit properly due to different upright pose of the Vitae I wasn't able to replicate

As you can see, the leg fits perfectly (well, more or less, but it's my bad photoshopping skills :( ) with the Vitae model.

Also, I agree that the posterior part of the skull is not based on actual material, but in paleontology one should use the closest relatives to restore the missing parts. By the same reasoning, given that the hand is not known, I might represent Giganotosaurus with only two fingers. So Eofauna's restoration isn't as valid.

Note: please consider that English is not my mother language, so this may result more blunt than I intendend.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Stegotyranno420

Added the new mojo giga. Its not that bad, check the new A @Andysdinosaurreviews  video about the other wave of mojo fun

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: suspsy on February 14, 2020, 01:32:44 AM
My personal favourite is the Carnegie Collection version, but objectively, I have to vote for Eofauna's.
Honesltly i like most of the giganotosaurus figures. Maybe collecta could make a giganotosaurus next year.

Duna

Quote from: Leyster on February 14, 2020, 08:20:49 AM
Hrm... No offense, but I do not agree with your reasoning. Here you can see a comparison with Franoys's Giganotosaurus (that is posed with more straight legs than Hartman's)... sadly I butchered the hip area to rotate the leg and the shiluette doesn't fit properly due to different upright pose of the Vitae I wasn't able to replicate

As you can see, the leg fits perfectly (well, more or less, but it's my bad photoshopping skills :( ) with the Vitae model.

Also, I agree that the posterior part of the skull is not based on actual material, but in paleontology one should use the closest relatives to restore the missing parts. By the same reasoning, given that the hand is not known, I might represent Giganotosaurus with only two fingers. So Eofauna's restoration isn't as valid.

Note: please consider that English is not my mother language, so this may result more blunt than I intendend.
Sorry, I may not have explained well, English is also not my mother language. ;) I didn't mean about the digital version you have photoshopped (fantastic job), that is perfectly proportionate as Eofauna is. I mean about the REAL FIGURE. When they have repositioned-distorted the legs digitally, they are obviously longer than the digital model. Just look at the left leg and compare to the 3D original model.

Ravonium

The Wild Safari version seems to be more popular here than I had gotten the impression it was  :o

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Ravonium on February 19, 2020, 03:09:28 PM
The Wild Safari version seems to be more popular here than I had gotten the impression it was  :o

I think it's a fine figure, not sure on the skull restoration though.

Brocc21

"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Syndicate Bias

Loon

Shonisaurus

By the way, should Collecta not market a giganotosaurus and even the Favorite Soft Model brand? They are the only brands of toy dinosaurs that do not have a giganotosaurus.

On the other hand the best finish is that of Eofauna and honestly the best figure of giganotosaurus next to that of Safari and Carnegie.

But I also like Vitae giganotosaurus very much because of its large size and that of PNSO.

suspsy

CollectA will probably get around to doing a Deluxe Giganotosaurus eventually, what with their Carcharodontosaurus and Mapusaurus (three of them!) toys.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Why even bother making Gigas anymore when the Eofauna one exists
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Leyster

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 28, 2020, 11:55:32 AM
Why even bother making Gigas anymore when the Eofauna one exists
To correct the problems Eofauna's one has.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Shonisaurus

For me the best scientific giganotosaurus are the Eofauna and the Vitae.

The best non-scientific or JP / JW-based giganotosaurus without a doubt that of W-Dragon and Nanmu

Flaffy

SidB

I'm guessing that part of the challenge of weighing this as a "contender" will be its relatively small size, 1/50 ( I'm assuming, like many of their big theropods), versus the 1/32  to 1/35  of most of the others.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: