News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Segnosaurus puppet based on old drawing?

Started by Funk, December 01, 2019, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funk

I was just googling some images of Segnosaurus, and stumbled upon photos of a life sized puppet used for a theatre show in the UK, and noticed it was very similar in colouration and pattern of feathers and scales to a restoration of the dinosaur I uploaded to Wikipedia ten years ago. Am I kidding myself or is that based pretty closely on the drawing, down to some pretty tiny details that are not found on any other restorations of Segnosaurus? If so, I'm fine with it and only think it's cool! I was thinking the people here with their eyes for tiny details and colour variations between toys would be able to judge...

The puppet: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/jurassic-surprise-for-the-shoppers-of-norwich-1-5119778?fbclid=IwAR3ek9NIPTj8K68_sDmEeB9hfVocwDrUij3_HzZPigaI4p-MTAdIR-PeZLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH7VtHJtOSc
My old drawing:

It was also used on a bootleg poster compiled from Wikipedia images sold outside Walking With Dinosaur shows years ago, so maybe there's a connection?

Loon

I mean, the colors are slightly similar; but, other than that, the placement's all different and even the design isn't similar.

But, I gotta say, that's a much better walk-around Segnosaurus than Lucky.

Funk

I'd think so too, if it wasn't for the details of the head which are a give away I think; it has the exact same border for where the feathers stop, almost the same scalation pattern around the eyes and snout, and it even has the bluish area around the eyes. Coupled with the red feathering with darker stripes and sienna skin I have a hard time seeing it as a coincidence. No other Segnosaurus restorations have this combination of features. Sure, they are not identical (you'd expect that they just needed some image from Google to build it on and then took various liberties), but the similarities are hard to explain as coincidence.

Patrx

Yeah, I think there are some borrowed elements here; the scales on the face and blue around the eyes in particular. Especially seeing as your recon is so readily available and doubtless turns up toward the beginning of any Internet search for Segnosaurus.

Funk

There is also the fact that it only has three toes, whereas therizinosaurs had four forward pointed toes... In my old drawing, I drew it so that only three toes are visible on each foot (the intention was that one toe is overlapped). So if they had used other reconstructions as basis, or actual fossils, I doubt they would have ended up like that...

Justin_

It looks very close to your drawing to me. I think people assume any image on Wikipedia is public domain.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Justin_ on December 03, 2019, 07:08:27 PM
It looks very close to your drawing to me. I think people assume any image on Wikipedia is public domain.
Unless it was later uploaded by another party and marked as public domain incorrectly, it is public domain.

https://www.google.com/search?q=segnosaurus&tbm=isch&tbs=sur%3Afmc&client=firefox-b-d&hl=en&ved=0CAEQpwVqFwoTCPDumpCgmuYCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAC&biw=1169&bih=896

Funk

It was CC licenced from the beginning I'm pretty sure.

Funk

I finally managed to track down the website of that theatre that featured the puppet, and this is apparently the sketch the puppet was made after, but it looks almost less like the final puppet than my old drawing, especially in the head, proportions, and feather/scale distribution?

https://dinosaurworldlive.com/2018/03/world-puppetry-day-puppet-master-qa/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.