News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

ID request from someone who emailed me. I promised to repost it here: "I love your website.  More importantly, my kiddo loves your website.  He also is obsessed with the mosasaurus from Jurassic World. For Christmas, he got the Jurassic World mosasaurus with submarine, which he loves.   He also has the large Jurassic world T Rex and Indominus Rex.  However, as between the three, the mosasaurus toy is not to scale and is smaller than the others. (That is not the case in the movie.)

However, we came across this picture on the internet which appears to show a toy mosasaurus which is larger than the large Indominus Rex toy.  In other words, it appears to be to scale to the Dino's in the movie. He has a birthday coming up soon, so I would like to surprise him with this huge mosasaurus.  Unfortunately, I have searched high and low and cannot find the toy.

All I find are 2 or 3 videos that appear to be the same person showing those Dinos.  (See picture and link below.)  I am hoping you may know where I might find the mosasaurus dinosaur pictured below. 

You are my last hope.  Any ideas?   Please advise.  I look forward to hearing back.

"

Roselaar

It's a large Mosasaurus produced by a Mexican toy company that specializes in bootlegs (they also copied the Bad Boy I-Rex, but made it look cooler). I'd refer that person to JPtoys, there's more details on it over there than I can provide here.

I do know that the toy is not of high quality, the material it's made of degrades easily.

Viking Spawn

Looks sweet whatever it is!   :o

Victoria's Cantina

On the JP Toys Forum we call that one the Mexican Mosasaurus. There was also a version of the Indominus that's available there, which is basically a knockoff of the Hasbro Bad Girl version. We call that one the Indominus Mex.

Megalosaurus

This was discussed in this thread:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4147.0

You can get it, but shipping may cost more than the figure itself.

Any way, you should contact the company, give your address and ask for a shipping cost.

http://www.dinomania.com.mx/
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

SBell

I am in need of help with Identifications on the ATF site--instead of re-posting it here, I'm going to link (since I don't think any are directly prehistoric) because I need as many eyes as possible; the fish are 'creative' in many ways!

http://animaltoyforum.com/index.php?topic=205.msg13987#msg13987

Thanks for any help!

Libraraptor

Hm, not really my cup of tea... But that Tursiops is no Tursiops. The fin is vertical. One could say it´s an Ichtyosaur, then :)

SBell

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 14, 2016, 04:40:18 PM
Hm, not really my cup of tea... But that Tursiops is no Tursiops. The fin is vertical. One could say it´s an Ichtyosaur, then :)

That one has shown up many times. Given the fins, it's more likely a very poor ichthyosaur. Or a really poor shark. Not much else fits (kind of has the body shape of the Yowies Helicoprion!)

;D :o

AcroSauroTaurus

Amargasaurus cazoui, I was wondering if you could identify what species this Psittacosaurus bust I made a few years ago could represent, and I might make molds of it. So if you're interested then I can let you know when I have the models made. Ignore the horrible paint, I was just testing a coloration for it.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Georassic

I'm hoping a more knowledgeable mind can tell me who made this Scelidosaurus...I searched both the forum and the googleverse, and the only Scelidosaurus figures I could find reference to are the CollectA Deluxe and the Invicta.  Have I discovered a new "species?"  ;)
Also, can someone tell this layman if it is a good representation of Scelidosaurus?
Can anyone ID this fellow?
thanks
geo

DinoLord

I don't know who the manufacturer is, but beyond bearing a passing resemblance it's not particularly true to the actual animal. The limbs are rather clunky-looking and he seems to be missing his elbows. The torso could be a tad longer and the armour less homogenous. See Scott Hartman's skeletal for reference:

Halichoeres

According to "Dinosauriana," it's from Oriental Trading Company (the sculpt is identical, although yours looks a shade bigger). I daresay it's at least as good as the CollectA Scelidosaurus, though nobody's made a really good one yet that I know of.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on March 13, 2016, 03:43:51 AM
Amargasaurus cazoui, I was wondering if you could identify what species this Psittacosaurus bust I made a few years ago could represent, and I might make molds of it. So if you're interested then I can let you know when I have the models made. Ignore the horrible paint, I was just testing a coloration for it.

I just not noticed this post and was able to get a look at the bust you are referring to....given that it appears to be a rather "stylized" type sculpt, I would think it would pass for about any of the major species known that did not have intricate eye or nasal horns. I would stay away from Sibiricus as it had unusual horn placements on its face.....To my eyes it best resembles P.Lujiatunensis, as my opinion goes.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Georassic

Quote from: DinoLord on March 15, 2016, 01:49:38 AM
I don't know who the manufacturer is, but beyond bearing a passing resemblance it's not particularly true to the actual animal. The limbs are rather clunky-looking and he seems to be missing his elbows. The torso could be a tad longer and the armour less homogenous. See Scott Hartman's skeletal for reference:

Thanks, DinoLord, and Tim too! I got this guy in an ebay lot, and I was hoping I'd stumbled on some rare find. DinoLord is right, it has just a "passing resemblance" to Hartman's drawing. To the "toys for donation" box it goes!
BTW, I have the Collecta Deluxe Scelido. It seems like it's generally held in low esteem among collectors. Aside from the spikes on its shoulders, what are the main inaccuracies/critiques?

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 15, 2016, 07:00:29 AM

I just not noticed this post and was able to get a look at the bust you are referring to....given that it appears to be a rather "stylized" type sculpt, I would think it would pass for about any of the major species known that did not have intricate eye or nasal horns. I would stay away from Sibiricus as it had unusual horn placements on its face.....To my eyes it best resembles P.Lujiatunensis, as my opinion goes.

Ok, thanks Amargasaurus! I knew already that it wasn't P. sibiricus(although thats my favorite Psittacosaurus sp.) And since it was basal ceratopsian themed, I knew you were the person to ask! Also, if I were to make molds of it, would you be interested in one?
I am the Dinosaur King!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Georassic on March 15, 2016, 06:28:05 PM
Quote from: DinoLord on March 15, 2016, 01:49:38 AM

Thanks, DinoLord, and Tim too! I got this guy in an ebay lot, and I was hoping I'd stumbled on some rare find. DinoLord is right, it has just a "passing resemblance" to Hartman's drawing. To the "toys for donation" box it goes!
BTW, I have the Collecta Deluxe Scelido. It seems like it's generally held in low esteem among collectors. Aside from the spikes on its shoulders, what are the main inaccuracies/critiques?

To be honest, my main problem with it is just that it's ugly and boring. As far as accuracy, the head is definitely too large. The spikes on the shoulder and throat are probably wrong (someone else probably knows more about that than I do). The metacarpals are too short. It's probably too beefy overall. But mainly I just think it's ugly. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on March 15, 2016, 06:36:07 PM

Ok, thanks Amargasaurus! I knew already that it wasn't P. sibiricus(although thats my favorite Psittacosaurus sp.) And since it was basal ceratopsian themed, I knew you were the person to ask! Also, if I were to make molds of it, would you be interested in one?
My suggestion would be prior to casting take a bit more time with the frill and extend it back to be more ...noticeable although flat, and extend it down the sides of the back of the skull, as there should be four fenestrae or openings visible in the outline of where it is located. That one aspect of the sculpt is a bit ...troublesome despite its somewhat stylized nature.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 17, 2016, 01:32:22 AM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on March 15, 2016, 06:36:07 PM

My suggestion would be prior to casting take a bit more time with the frill and extend it back to be more ...noticeable although flat, and extend it down the sides of the back of the skull, as there should be four fenestrae or openings visible in the outline of where it is located. That one aspect of the sculpt is a bit ...troublesome despite its somewhat stylized nature.

Well, its an older sculpt that I did a few years ago, and I wasn't as good as I am now, but I'll see what I can do to it.
I am the Dinosaur King!

EmperorDinobot

My friend found this and would like to know what it is.

LophoLeeVT

i have it in a different coloration
it is a triceratops made by tomy.
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: