News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Cake tops would be my best guess too, definitely not by Hasbro.

Archinto

I dont think they are cake toppers. I looked up the official sets of those and they come with a t rex thats proportioned well and a park gate. These figures are solid rubber.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Dilopho

Sorry to interrupt your search Archinto but does anyone know what the heck this animal is?

It's absolutely adorable but it was sold to me in that Carnegie lot I posted about and I really can't tell what it is.....a sea iguana perhaps? I don't think it's a dinosaur.

Archinto

Looks like a dinosaur more than a lizard. Whats it made of? Looks almost like a resin material. Ive seen a lot of figures like this that arent made for accuracy as much as they are for aesthetics and cute knick knack status. Id bet it was labeled as a baby allosaurus or something along those lines, even despite the four fingers.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

stargatedalek

Plastic makes me think AAA, in which case it may well be meant as a lizard.

Dilopho

It has no markings whatsoever.

Archinto

Aaa marks their stuff religiously. Whats it made of? It doesnt look like plastic to me.

Dilopho

Quote from: Archinto on September 20, 2016, 06:42:57 PM
Aaa marks their stuff religiously. Whats it made of? It doesnt look like plastic to me.
It feels very hard and the egg is very hard and smooth, like some weird pebble.
It feels kind of like an ornament but you can tell it is supposed to be for kids.

Archinto

It looks like hard stone/porcelain like resin to me. if it isnt made of plastic, and is made of a stone like material, then your guess is good as anyones as to who manufactured it. It reminds me of a figure you could buy at a fair booth where they sell neat trinkets and cute figurines. The make of it looks similar to the baby t-rex figure in my collection thread I have thats laying on its back. Figures like these will typically be marked with a sticker on the bottom, and naturally those get worn or peeled off over time.

Archinto

Looks like a custom playset someone put together. The dinosaurs arent old vintage and look to be painted. Its meant to look and feel like an old marx playset. Kinda neat. Someone really put time into it.

Dilopho

Quote from: Archinto on October 01, 2016, 05:26:00 AM
Looks like a custom playset someone put together. The dinosaurs arent old vintage and look to be painted. Its meant to look and feel like an old marx playset. Kinda neat. Someone really put time into it.
It's a nice job! But you can do it yourself, too, all the figures are common-to-find (but still pretty good quality) chinasaurs!

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dilopho

sauroid

you could be the resident DTF chinasaur expert. :D
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Dilopho

Some of them are based on marx, a bit. The plesiosaur looks original.  ;)

SBell

I see JaRu dinos and D&D monsters for sure. The plesiosaur is weird--it could be a nessie souvenir!

DinoToyForum

I want it, but shipping to the UK is silly. I wondered if it was rare and worth the $30 total I'd have to spend to get it, of if It is widely available if one knows where to look...

Archinto

Looking at the other figures, that looks like an 80's ish figure lot. Id bet that plesiosaur is not new. I have a good photo memory and I cant say Ive ever seen one of those, or others styled like it. Chances are likely that its no longer in production

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: