News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbear

Help, please! Waaaaaaaaaaay back in about 1963, a school friend of mine had a set of dinosaur models. They were all tail-draggers, of course and had such things as a Trachodon, Iguanodon, etc., as well as the usual suspects. They were made of clay or pottery and incredibly well detailed. They must have been fragile, as his Mum would never let us all play with them outside. Does anybody have a resource that might shed light on their manufacturer, please? I'm relying on the fact that there weren't that many manufacturers of quality dinosaur toys/models in those days to help to narrow it down a bit. They might have been French and had a very nice matt finish. The memory of them has haunted me through the years, so now I'm trying pin them down with a view to obtaining a couple. Thanks.

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: stoneage on August 21, 2017, 09:15:51 PM
They were premiums that came in Cracker Jack, Nabisco Cereals and Frito Lay Packages.  See Top of page.  http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/lido.htm

Ah cool, thank you, they are pretty old then. If anybody wants them, let me know.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bigbear on September 01, 2017, 02:25:30 PM
Help, please! Waaaaaaaaaaay back in about 1963, a school friend of mine had a set of dinosaur models. They were all tail-draggers, of course and had such things as a Trachodon, Iguanodon, etc., as well as the usual suspects. They were made of clay or pottery and incredibly well detailed. They must have been fragile, as his Mum would never let us all play with them outside. Does anybody have a resource that might shed light on their manufacturer, please? I'm relying on the fact that there weren't that many manufacturers of quality dinosaur toys/models in those days to help to narrow it down a bit. They might have been French and had a very nice matt finish. The memory of them has haunted me through the years, so now I'm trying pin them down with a view to obtaining a couple. Thanks.

Were they painted? It almost sounds like you could be describing Niels Norvil/Ipsen dinosaurs, except that I'm not aware of any ornithopods from them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

RobinGoodfellow

From France and fragile?
Perhaps are you talking about Starlux?
Here:
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/starlux1.htm
and here:
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/starlux2.htm

Halichoeres

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on September 02, 2017, 05:39:26 AM

From France and fragile?
Perhaps are you talking about Starlux?
Here:
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/starlux1.htm
and here:
http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/starlux2.htm

I thought that at first too, but I think Starlux didn't start making prehistoric figures until the 1970s (http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Starlux_Prehistoric)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

sauroid

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 01, 2017, 02:16:28 AM
AAA made one that large?  I have one about 8" tall.
is this the smaller version (8") AAA Brachiosaurus?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Invicta Hunter

That looks like the Tsukuda UKRD Brachio.

Archinto

Could possibly be Chialu figures from italy. They are made from a composition like material and are very detailed. Right in the timeframe youre talki g about too. Hope this helps! If those are the ones they tend to be pretty pricey.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Archinto on September 03, 2017, 06:34:08 PM

Could possibly be Chialu figures from italy. They are made from a composition like material and are very detailed. Right in the timeframe youre talki g about too. Hope this helps! If those are the ones they tend to be pretty pricey.

..I'm from Italy but it's the first time I hear about Chilau  :-[  Thanks.

http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/chilau.htm

DTF is really precious  ^-^

Halichoeres

Sorry for the terrible picture, but it's from an auction and this is the best zoom I could get. It almost looks like it could be some early tetrapod, or possibly a marine reptile (or, I suppose, a really poorly executed salamander). Does anyone recognize it?

sauroid

i'm pretty sure that's a mini green mosasaurus figure. i have it but just couldn't find the pic somewhere in my files.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

Quote from: sauroid on September 06, 2017, 05:38:03 AM
i'm pretty sure that's a mini green mosasaurus figure. i have it but just couldn't find the pic somewhere in my files.

Thanks very much!

bigbear

Thanks for the replies to date, but no luck yet. I know the Starlux line quite well, but hadn't heard of the other two mentioned until now. The figures I'm looking for must have been around 4 to 6 inches tall, (10cm - 15cm), made of a matt finish, biscuit textured, pottery type material with very little, if any painting. I definitely remember the Trachodon, or beaked dinosaur and a T. Rex, Stegosaurus, etc. They were not on bases. All of them were tail draggers... I'm really digging deep here! The colour was predominantly a buff colour, lighter than terracotta. I coveted them!!! Still do. :-)

Halichoeres

Well, this IS a puzzle. Some of it sounds like Alva:

But they're made of metal.

...or Brim Ful Houss

But I don't think they made any ornithopods.

I am at a loss.

stoneage

bigbear

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2017, 10:21:09 PM

...or Brim Ful Houss

I am at a loss.

The Alva ones look very like I remember 'my dinosaurs' to be! The line-up fits too! I wonder if I mis-remember the colour and feel of them? We WERE hardly allowed to pick them up, as they were deemed 'too fragile' for rough play. I wonder if there were 'knock-off' models made in Europe somewhere? Unless I can re-establish contact with my old school friend, and IF he also remembers these, I think I'm as close as I am going to get! A shame to have to give up, but at least I can look for some of the Alva items now! :-)

Halichoeres

Quote from: bigbear on September 10, 2017, 07:14:13 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 09, 2017, 10:21:09 PM

...or Brim Ful Houss

I am at a loss.

The Alva ones look very like I remember 'my dinosaurs' to be! The line-up fits too! I wonder if I mis-remember the colour and feel of them? We WERE hardly allowed to pick them up, as they were deemed 'too fragile' for rough play. I wonder if there were 'knock-off' models made in Europe somewhere? Unless I can re-establish contact with my old school friend, and IF he also remembers these, I think I'm as close as I am going to get! A shame to have to give up, but at least I can look for some of the Alva items now! :-)

It's certainly possible somebody used the same or similar molds and filled them with pottery rather than tin! I'm glad you have a lead at any rate :)

AcroSauroTaurus

Anyone know who makes this pterosaur? I used to have the whole thing but somehow I only have the head now. It came with armor. I would like to get another one and the rest of the figures.(I believe there was a Triceratops, raptor, and something else...)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Jetoar

it is from ninja turttle figures ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Digibasherx

Quote from: Jetoar on September 15, 2017, 08:55:33 PM
it is from ninja turttle figures ^-^.

Yup, the Pteranodon from their paleopatrol line.  Wow, didn't know these existed,  or rather, these came out when I wasn't into toys. LOL.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: