News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on October 16, 2017, 03:33:26 PM
Saw this Plesiosaur ( Elasmosaurus ? ) couple of times recently.
Any idea what brand is it and if it is nice to have ?
Thanks.

Well I might be wrong but I guess it is  AAA. I owned it but somehow lost it.  The head is a mess.

Archinto

I seen a pair of these dinosaurs from this particular set for sale recently. They are both uncommon looking. Probably from some unbranded toy company sometime in the late 80's early 90's . Probably local grocery store fauna from the good ol days!

Cool model. From ones Ive seen they have no makers mark. Its most likely a recast of some earlier figure, that was altered for this companies needs. it was super common back then to see this. Probably from a box of Chinese made Dinosaurs at the dollar store. Ive seen the bronto from the same set and it looks like it was recast and altered from the old rubber Dormei/UKRD purple/green brontosaurus.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Roselaar

Yeah, old AAA Elasmosaurus. There's a later release in dark green.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It was a really fun toy to play with, the neck is very "bendy"

PhilSauria

I have this one and I can attest to the fact that it is indeed very bendy. My specimen sits up on a shelf at about head height an if you walk past in a hurry it bobs up and down in mock attack. Not that those rubbery teeth would do much harm. At one stage I was grabbing just about any marine reptile that I could find and seeing this one on eBay for a low price I thought, why not. Not what you'd call 'Museum Quality' but a bit of fun anyway.

BrontoScorpio

Thank you all for your answers.
I think this one will fit the lower shelve - with all the big hardy guys ...

DinoToyForum

Hi, I recently received these figures as part of a lot of random miniatures, from Germany:

The two on the left are part of the same set and their markings are similar:

The Allosaurus? is marked: "MADE IN CHINA B3"
The Corythosaurus? is marked "MADE IN CHINA B6"

The ankylosaur is marked "CHINA"

The Pachycephalosaurus is marked "CHINA (c) 1993 1 PACHYCEPHALOSAURUS CE"

The Velociraptor? has no markings but a distinctive style

Perhaps these are familiar to German collectors?

Archinto

The two with the A# markings are from better quality bag sets of dinosaurs, often sold in the cheaper section with other educational toys and chinasaurs. I've got several of these as well as the smaller B series which are vending machine size. The pachy looks like it's from one of those sets of many figures put out under the name of Animal Planet, often sold at toys r us by where the other big rubbery major trading co. figures are. This little raptor is sort of jp looking, but I can't say I've seen it before. The little anky looking one looks like a copy of the old panini figure.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Archinto on October 29, 2017, 08:24:36 PM
The two with the A# markings are from better quality bag sets of dinosaurs, often sold in the cheaper section with other educational toys and chinasaurs. I've got several of these as well as the smaller B series which are vending machine size. The pachy looks like it's from one of those sets of many figures put out under the name of Animal Planet, often sold at toys r us by where the other big rubbery major trading co. figures are. This little raptor is sort of jp looking, but I can't say I've seen it before. The little anky looking one looks like a copy of the old panini figure.

Thanks for your thoughts. I dont have any marked #A, mine are marked B#, so these are presumably the smaller versions? Do you know what other species are in these sets? Photos anyone!?

I'll look up Animal Planet and see if I can find a match.

The ankylosaur is rather different from the Panini figures, so I think any similarily is coincidental. It does look really familiar though, I just can't place it.

The purpleraptor is a mystery!

Sim

I've never seen the two figures on the left before, but I recognise the other three as figures I had when I was little, although the ankylosaur and Pachycephalosaurus might have had different colourations.

The Pachycephalosaurus looks like a mini version of a UKRD Pachycephalosaurus model.  I don't know if this mini version is also from UKRD though.

I think the purple "Velociraptor" was part of a volcano playset that also included a brown tripod Tyrannosaurus and perhaps a couple of other figures.

I remember having that ankylosaur figure, although I think mine was unpainted, but I don't know who it was produced by.  I agree with Dr Admin that it doesn't look like any of the figures from the Panini series.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on October 30, 2017, 05:26:51 PM
I've never seen the two figures on the left before, but I recognise the other three as figures I had when I was little, although the ankylosaur and Pachycephalosaurus might have had different colourations.

The Pachycephalosaurus looks like a mini version of a UKRD Pachycephalosaurus model.  I don't know if this mini version is also from UKRD though.

I think the purple "Velociraptor" was part of a volcano playset that also included a brown tripod Tyrannosaurus and perhaps a couple of other figures.

I remember having that ankylosaur figure, although I think mine was unpainted, but I don't know who it was produced by.  I agree with Dr Admin that it doesn't look like any of the figures from the Panini series.

I've looked up volcano playsets but can't find a match. Do you have any other details? Year, country, others in set?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Libraraptor on October 16, 2017, 06:20:12 PM
Thanks.

Well I might be wrong but I guess it is  AAA. I owned it but somehow lost it.  The head is a mess.

If it is AAA then it isn't marked as such. The only marking it has is "MADE IN CHINA".

Joey

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 04, 2017, 08:36:57 AM
Quote from: Libraraptor on October 16, 2017, 06:20:12 PM
Thanks.

If it is AAA then it isn't marked as such. The only marking it has is "MADE IN CHINA".
It isn't AAA, because a quick google search reveals that AAA's "plesiosaur" (aka this toy) had a much more 'crocodile like' head and this one has a more 'snake like' head. They also had an Elasmosaurus which is an actual genus unlike this one.

Joey

Oh yeah and also the take away is that this toy is a AAA knock-off plesiosaur

DinoToyForum

Quote from: JoeytheDeinocheirus on November 04, 2017, 09:49:47 AM

Does anyone have the official AAA one for comparison?

Roselaar

I have the one pictured above and it says AAA on the belly.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Roselaar on November 04, 2017, 12:10:01 PM
I have the one pictured above and it says AAA on the belly.

I have the one pictured above, too, but no visible AAA mark. My figure is a bit beaten up though, so maybe it was worn off? Are you sure yours isn't the long snouted version (maybe their is no such version, I only found one image online and it is distorted)?

Joey

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 04, 2017, 10:42:39 AM
Quote from: JoeytheDeinocheirus on November 04, 2017, 09:49:47 AM

Does anyone have the official AAA one for comparison?
You can search up 'Dinosaur Collector Site A' they have the whole list of AAA dinosaurs with pictures.

Jetoar

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 29, 2017, 01:59:11 PM
Hi, I recently received these figures as part of a lot of random miniatures, from Germany:

The two on the left are part of the same set and their markings are similar:

The Allosaurus? is marked: "MADE IN CHINA B3"
The Corythosaurus? is marked "MADE IN CHINA B6"

The ankylosaur is marked "CHINA"

The Pachycephalosaurus is marked "CHINA (c) 1993 1 PACHYCEPHALOSAURUS CE"

The Velociraptor? has no markings but a distinctive style

Perhaps these are familiar to German collectors?

Raptor is for this set. I have it

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5543/11492071224_de059421a2_b.jpg
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Sim

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 03, 2017, 06:33:33 PM
Quote from: Sim on October 30, 2017, 05:26:51 PM

I've looked up volcano playsets but can't find a match. Do you have any other details? Year, country, others in set?

The playset I was thinking of is the one Jetoar showed in the previous post.  In the photo, you can see the brown Tyrannosaurus I was remembering behind the fence.  I did some Internet searches earlier on to try to identify that set but didn't find anything on it, so I'm glad Jetoar posted that!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: