News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on October 16, 2023, 02:26:17 AMHold on, there are baby models from the late 90s? Do you have pics of the full set?
It's rather hard to find pictures of every single one of the baby dinos together simply because they made so many of them!

These ones are quite a bit bigger than the toob models and often painted to match the adult models.

Fortunately, the models themselves aren't too hard to find online, and many of them have gotten a rerelease, such as that neon green baby T. rex that won't ever go away and is always on store shelves, this year's baby Brachiosaurus repaint, and the Dino Dana baby dino eggs (although they retconned the baby Pteranodon as Quetzalcoatlus for some reason)

Fossilized-Rubber

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard I managed to get a set of the latest toob baby dinos and made a comparison on my collection thread here. Gutted I missed the original toob baby dinos which are much more similar.

Thanks again for your help!
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

crazy8wizard

Yesterday I was browsing Aliexpress and found this box of knockoff dinosaur figures. While I recognize all the rest of these, what is the origin of this sauropod figure?

LucasLiu

Looks like the Safari Ltd Malawisaurus

crazy8wizard

Quote from: LucasLiu on December 06, 2023, 06:36:32 PM
the body sort of does but the arms, neck, and head are completely different

Lanthanotus

Too me it looks based on CollectA's Daxiatitan, with the scattered "pebbles" along the back and the pose of the legs.

crazy8wizard

Found another oddity online, possibly of knockoff origin.

Does anyone recognize it? It's almost certainly a carcharodontosaur of some variety. From the listing it looks to be about the same size as the 1996 Safari Allosaurus, so it's not a huge figure but also not a mini. Any ideas?

Primeval12

Quote from: crazy8wizard on December 06, 2023, 08:23:32 PM
Quote from: LucasLiu on December 06, 2023, 06:36:32 PM
the body sort of does but the arms, neck, and head are completely different

No, that is the Malawisaurus. Looks just like the one I have.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Primeval12 on December 11, 2023, 06:41:09 PMNo, that is the Malawisaurus. Looks just like the one I have.
The knockoff in the photo has a much shorter tail, a completely different head, differently shaped osteoderms, wider shoulders, more splayed fingers, and a more downward curved torso. The knockoff is completely different from the malawisaurus.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: crazy8wizard on December 11, 2023, 06:38:03 PMFound another oddity online, possibly of knockoff origin.

Does anyone recognize it? It's almost certainly a carcharodontosaur of some variety. From the listing it looks to be about the same size as the 1996 Safari Allosaurus, so it's not a huge figure but also not a mini. Any ideas?
Strange, I seen a few resin kits similar to this.

Perhaps the CollectA Mapusaurus?

Flaffy

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on December 11, 2023, 11:04:26 PM
Quote from: crazy8wizard on December 11, 2023, 06:38:03 PMFound another oddity online, possibly of knockoff origin.

Strange, I seen a few resin kits similar to this.

Perhaps the CollectA Mapusaurus?

Can't be, it's anatomy looks way better than the CollectA Mapusaurus.

Fembrogon

Based on a remark I saw either here or on Discord, I did some checking and that carcharodontosaur is 100% a David Krentz Shapeways print of Giganotosaurus:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LMB9PRLWL/giganotosaurus-1-172-krentz-v2?optionId=2064556

Mattyonyx

I had the same thought. Here's how it looks printed:

HubertOp

Hi!
Would anyone be able to tell me the value of this nothosaur/plesiosaur figure from Kinder? Im guessing it comes from the set on the pictures from around 1980, but it doesnt show up among the other dinos. So I'm not even sure of the ID. Is it like super rare or from a different series?

LucasLiu

What is the pachycephalosaurus a knockoff of?

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: HubertOp on December 20, 2023, 03:53:21 PMHi!
Would anyone be able to tell me the value of this nothosaur/plesiosaur figure from Kinder? Im guessing it comes from the set on the pictures from around 1980, but it doesnt show up among the other dinos. So I'm not even sure of the ID. Is it like super rare or from a different series?

Hi! I can (what's the opposite of confirm? Deaffirm?) deaffirm that it's from the same set. The material and finish are very different and this matches the painting of a much later series, probably post 2000.

EDIT:

A search tells me it's a Kinder Surprise toy from 2002, sometimes listed as a baryonyx and sometimes as a plesiosaur/nothosaur, and you're missing the floor plate it came with. The complete set is selling for one euro here where it's labelled as a "loch ness monster". Or 50 rubles here.

Interestingly, it's also on the dinotoyblog youtube channel, sent by Lieberaptor.

Anyway, I found pics of the full set here. I'll rehost them in this post for future forum explorers.

In summary, a cute piece, based on its compatriots, it's almost certainly a nothosaur (or, more likely for 2002, a very badly modelled plesiosaur). Its current list price ranges from one euro to 50 rubles.

My collection is here

Duna

Thanks avatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber I didn't know about that collection, and I couldn't resist to buy it for myself. They have a very appealing retro look along with that wonderful material and paint of Ferrero figures. They are still pretty cheap in eBay, I bought a collection with the cards for 1€. I can't wait for them to arrive.

Libraraptor

So cool you are calling me "Lieberaptor", avatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber  ^-^ However, I do not want to steal love (in German "Liebe") from anyone.  ;D

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: Libraraptor on December 22, 2023, 01:00:10 PMSo cool you are calling me "Lieberaptor", avatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber  ^-^ However, I do not want to steal love (in German "Liebe") from anyone.  ;D

haha I'm so sorry. I looked in the comments of the video to see how your username was spelled, but didn't find it, so I took a shot.

Quote from: Duna on December 22, 2023, 12:34:29 PMThanks avatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber I didn't know about that collection, and I couldn't resist to buy it for myself. They have a very appealing retro look along with that wonderful material and paint of Ferrero figures. They are still pretty cheap in eBay, I bought a collection with the cards for 1€. I can't wait for them to arrive.

WOW. What a steal! I was looking at the ones from 1980s from the OP and they're like £12 each (£7 for ones in need of repair). It was too rich for my blood. I assume you mean the 2002 set - I've just seen it listed on ebay for about £4 and I'm going to do the same. They're full of character.

EDIT: lol looks like I just tried to buy the one you'd already bought from the German seller. They cancelled the order saying it's already been bought.

My collection is here

HubertOp

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on December 22, 2023, 04:42:30 AM
Quote from: HubertOp on December 20, 2023, 03:53:21 PMHi!

Hi! I can (what's the opposite of confirm? Deaffirm?) deaffirm that it's from the same set. The material and finish are very different and this matches the painting of a much later series, probably post 2000.

EDIT:

A search tells me it's a Kinder Surprise toy from 2002, sometimes listed as a baryonyx and sometimes as a plesiosaur/nothosaur, and you're missing the floor plate it came with. The complete set is selling for one euro here where it's labelled as a "loch ness monster". Or 50 rubles here.

Interestingly, it's also on the dinotoyblog youtube channel, sent by Lieberaptor.

Anyway, I found pics of the full set here. I'll rehost them in this post for future forum explorers.

In summary, a cute piece, based on its compatriots, it's almost certainly a nothosaur (or, more likely for 2002, a very badly modelled plesiosaur). Its current list price ranges from one euro to 50 rubles.

Thank you, I was searching the blog but the only Kinder dino was triceratops from the series I mentioned.
Im not becoming a millionare selling this one, but Im not left disappointed, being able to see rest of the series. The finish on these is super interesting, Ive often seen pottery painted like that, but never a dino figurine.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: