News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

sauroid

@EmpDinoBot:
looks like a knock-off (action fig version) of the collectA trike
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

EmperorDinobot

Well it  roars and is articulated and smells of vintage.

Roselaar

That is definitely Collecta inspired. And pretty neat!

darylj

can anyone tell me about some of these?
i know the pteranodon is jp, the dimetrodon is carnegie, and the baryonyx.
but ive no idea about the egg hatching raptor?
or the little guy with egg on his head?
or the mammoth?

http://postimg.cc/image/e7otfqqsh/

Splonkadumpocus

Quote from: SBell on June 05, 2013, 03:40:13 AM
They are often given rather imaginative identifications! The scuted one is often thought of as Ornithosuchus or a similar animal (only crurotarsans have plates like that) but soemone did find an old drawing or painting that showed a dinosaur that inspired the figure.

That was me. The illustration is by Dougal Dixon for a 1980s dinosaur book reviewed here. It's supposed to be a Megalosaurus, and both the pose and texture in the illustration match up well to the figure.

CityRaptor

Quote from: darylj on June 12, 2013, 11:04:06 PM
or the mammoth?

The "hatching Raptor" is the AAA Baby Allosaurus.
The little Mammoth looks like Bullyland.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

Quote from: darylj on June 12, 2013, 11:04:06 PM
or the mammoth?

The Mammoth and the green Camptosaurus next to it are Paninis.

Dilophoraptor

This is a small Rubber Protoceratops from late 1990's to early 2000's that Ive had for quite awhile.

It is about a Penny and a half long. its in the Typical Protoceratops pose of its time. it was a toy that was found in Vending Machines.

At least to the Extent of my memory it was a Vending Machines. It came from a Plastic Egg that had two rows of bumps on one side of the egg, Both Animal and egg where Differently colored from others, the Egg split in have, I'll get a picture of the Egg if I can

ive been wondering what they are.

Blackdanter

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 11, 2013, 07:24:08 AM

Eyes glow yellow and roars. Mom brought it from Goodwill, and I love it. What is it?

It's Chap Mei (known as Jimei in Asia). It's one of the rarer Chap Mei figures.  ;)

Roselaar

That's Chap Mei? It hardly looks like the other Chap Mei dinosaurs at all. Is it an older figure or something?

Blackdanter

Quote from: Roselaar on June 17, 2013, 08:38:36 PM
That's Chap Mei? It hardly looks like the other Chap Mei dinosaurs at all. Is it an older figure or something?

No, it's not that old (two or three years maybe) but I believe it's nolonger in production, perhaps because it's pretty much a copy of the Collecta figure. It's part of the range that included an electronic Styracosaurus, Kentrosaurus and Tyrannosaurus. As far as I know it wasn't distributed outside of Asia, probably because of copyright issues. But yes, it's definately Chap Mei (although in Asia Chap Mei is largely unknown as the brand is recognised as Jimei ................. Chap Mei seems to be the international trading name).

docronnie

Very informative and interesting.... Thanks Blackdanter!

There are some electronic toys here at the department store that looks like Chap Mei dinos, but not labeled as so.  Will check on them next time I see them. :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

critcho

I picked up some models in Ibiza recently and wondered if anyone knew anymore about them?

To me the Styracosaurus, Dilophosaurus and Stegosaurus are LOOSELY modelled on Battat.

All of the models have a clear join and are hollow plastic. I have included a label attached to each but having checked the website, this seemingly offers little and is probably just a supplier.

I am just guessing however, and would welcome any information that anyone may have.

Thanks!

sauroid

i also have them but there's no info about the brand whatsoever. they are the better/decent Chinasaurs out there.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

critcho

Thanks for the quick response, I have seen a couple of the dilophosaurus in mixed lots on ebay since coming back but no more information at all. Do you know of/have any models different to those which I have bought?

sauroid

i have two color variants of the Styracosaurus, i also have the stego and akylosaur. i'll try to dig up the others from the same "series".

Dilophoraptor

i remember geting a Stego and a Dilo, and others probably at Toys 'r Us. but i think it was one of those Animal Planet bags.

Ikessauro

If I'm not mistaken they are made by Toy Major.

sauroid

yes they are indeed Toy Major, except the other "variant" Styracosaurus, which is only marked by the dino's Genus and made in china on the belly.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: