News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO—New for 2020

Started by suspsy, January 30, 2020, 03:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

I'm mostly piping up to defend the rod. To me it's one of the least obtrusive solutions possible to the problem of making a bipedal figurine stable. You can keep the feet the natural size, you don't have to drill any holes in the figure, there is no base to get in the way of diorama-making or just turning the figure over in your hands to appreciate the anatomy. I think it's easy to forget that if you took an actual factual theropod dinosaur, shrank it down, and froze it, it wouldn't be able to stand up indefinitely either! Remaining upright on two legs requires constant minute adjustments.

Of course, I'm still not going to buy the new Wilson. I haven't bought a new Ty***nosaurus since 2017 and it would take a genuinely amazing figure to get me to change that. This is a pretty decent offering but doesn't rise to that standard.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

Agreed, a clear support rod is a great solution and I hope more producers of bipedal dinosaur figures go in that direction in the future

Quote from: Faelrin on December 20, 2020, 04:57:21 PMI'm guessing the Beasts of the Mesozoic ones will be the first in line to have the tiny scales and lips aesthetic unless something pops out before them?
So it would seem. Unfortunate, in my opinion, since articulated figures don't really "work" in my collection.

cooksonia

I'm obviously not up with my Wilson's. Let me see, there was original Wilson 1, then a repaint, then this one?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 20, 2020, 06:09:30 PM
I'm mostly piping up to defend the rod. To me it's one of the least obtrusive solutions possible to the problem of making a bipedal figurine stable. You can keep the feet the natural size, you don't have to drill any holes in the figure, there is no base to get in the way of diorama-making or just turning the figure over in your hands to appreciate the anatomy. I think it's easy to forget that if you took an actual factual theropod dinosaur, shrank it down, and froze it, it wouldn't be able to stand up indefinitely either! Remaining upright on two legs requires constant minute adjustments.

Of course, I'm still not going to buy the new Wilson. I haven't bought a new Ty***nosaurus since 2017 and it would take a genuinely amazing figure to get me to change that. This is a pretty decent offering but doesn't rise to that standard.
This.

I talk a lot about how I don't like bases because most of them are big blocks of dirt. But discreet aesthetically pleasing options like this have always existed.

Remko

Quote from: cooksonia on December 20, 2020, 07:22:43 PM
I'm obviously not up with my Wilson's. Let me see, there was original Wilson 1, then a repaint, then this one?

If I'm not mistaken, there was an original "Wilson" figure, then you had the dark one with the base. After that a repaint and slight modification of the sculpt being number three. This would be the fourth installment of "Wilson".

Over9K

I've got no problem with the rod, or it's purpose... I just think it's wrong of PNSO to not show it in promo images. PNSO acknowledges that the figure cannot stand indefinitely by including the stand, and then hides this issue and their solution in promotional photos. Retailers aren't mentioning the stand in their descriptions of the figure either. I think the Amazon ad is the only one I've seen that mentions the stand.

Say what you want about REBOR, at least they were really clear about their GNG T.rex coming with a chest stand, showing it in many of their promotional images.

SidB

Quote from: Remko on December 20, 2020, 07:31:19 PM
Quote from: cooksonia on December 20, 2020, 07:22:43 PM

If I'm not mistaken, there was an original "Wilson" figure, then you had the dark one with the base. After that a repaint and slight modification of the sculpt being number three. This would be the fourth installment of "Wilson".
That's right, R @Remko .

SidB

Then, there's always "Wilson" from Cast Away with Tom Hanks.

ceratopsian

The rod is explicitly mentioned by Everything Dinosaur in their blog introducing the model.

It is also there in one of the PNSO promo photos. That is not a photo that has been shared much though.

Quote from: Over9K on December 20, 2020, 08:11:11 PM
.......... Retailers aren't mentioning the stand in their descriptions of the figure either. I think the Amazon ad is the only one I've seen that mentions the stand.

Bread

I've got no problem with the rod, or it's purpose... I just think it's wrong of PNSO to not show it in promo images. PNSO acknowledges that the figure cannot stand indefinitely by including the stand, and then hides this issue and their solution in promotional photos. Retailers aren't mentioning the stand in their descriptions of the figure either. I think the Amazon ad is the only one I've seen that mentions the stand.

Say what you want about REBOR, at least they were really clear about their GNG T.rex coming with a chest stand, showing it in many of their promotional images.
I don't think there should be such a fuss over a promotional ad not including a clear rod. Both companies show that their figures are able to stand for some time without the rod. The rod being thrown in to allow future stability. Also, if I recall, the first promo images of Rebor's GnG Tyrannosaurus did not include a rod, but again I have no issue with that (I believe it was the 4 color variants photos).

suspsy

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 20, 2020, 09:04:25 PM
The rod is explicitly mentioned by Everything Dinosaur in their blog introducing the model.

It is also there in one of the PNSO promo photos. That is not a photo that has been shared much though.

Yeah, PNSO isn't going out of their way to display the rod, but they're not hiding it either. It's a far cry from say, announcing a planned product only to give up on it completely months or years later.

Anyway, as I mentioned in another PNSO, I'd love to know when the Zhuchengtyrannus will be revealed. And the Parasaurolophus as well. No interest in getting that one, but I am curious to see what it's like.

And when are they gonna reveal some pterosaurs finally?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

This is an official promotional image, and it clearly shows that a support stand is included for extended periods of display. Could it be made clearer by having a picture of the actual stand with the real figure? Yes. But I definitely wouldn't call this "hiding". A silhouette is perfectly fine and does the job.
Also, what non-official retailers choose to include or exclude in their descriptions is not the fault of PNSO.

fresh from PNSO's official store

and if you really want to make a fuss out of this by comparing it with Rebor, then as far as I can tell only 2 promo images explicitly show display stand out of like, 10 promo shots. Then does this mean that Rebor is deliberately hiding the support stand?

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Flaffy on December 21, 2020, 01:37:23 AM

This is an official promotional image, and it clearly shows that a support stand is included for extended periods of display. Could it be made clearer by having a picture of the actual stand with the real figure? Yes. But I definitely wouldn't call this "hiding". A silhouette is perfectly fine and does the job.
Also, what non-official retailers choose to include or exclude in their descriptions is not the fault of PNSO.

fresh from PNSO's official store

and if you really want to make a fuss out of this by comparing it with Rebor, then as far as I can tell only 2 promo images explicitly show display stand out of like, 10 promo shots. Then does this mean that Rebor is deliberately hiding the support stand?

I agree! I don't know what the big deal about this at all, I don't understand. The figure clearly can stand without support, but probably not as stable like 99% of biped theropods figures.
I would rather have the rod included as an option.
For me, there is nothing more frustrating than a figure that can't stand or not stable that you end up having to improvise 🤦🏻‍♂️

Syndicate Bias

This is a needless discussion that leans on grasping for air just for the sake of arguing. I'd prefer if we moved on to discuss what their next figure will be. ^-^

On a side note they're pretty clear about the rod so I don't see any issues here either.

Bread

For now, I can say this is the last 2020 release for PNSO. I would even consider it the start of 2021, due to the fact most of us will not receive it until next month or so. I am excited to see possible future bases or dioramas made using this Tyrannosaurus and any other recent PNSO figures.
Also, previously mentioned by others, questioning the release of Zhuchengtyrannus, I would hope this is not cancelled, as well as it will have a clear rod for stability. Hopefully this clear rod will be for all future bipedal figures, makes them more affordable.
Great year for PNSO ;D

JimoAi

So the tyrannosaur in the picture with the pachyrhinosaurus, parasaurolophus and nodossaur isn't a trex? I though they would make a t rex in the same line as the new Spinosaurus and sinoceratops

Carnoking

Bread makes a good point, I could see this being the last of the 2020 reveals from PNSO. I made a comment, either on this thread or another, I don't remember there are so many PNSO threads to keep track of now, but I said something along the lines of how it felt weird to reveal this figure now instead of closer to the end of their upcoming reveals since it appears to be an intended breadwinner. But if it's the last to come from 2020, then I suppose revealing it now would make sense!

Anyway, I certainly hope to see the parasaurolophus soon. The other two hadrosaurs have been so gorgeous, and I hope the parasaurolophus is just as lovely if not more so!

JimoAi

Quote from: Carnoking on December 21, 2020, 04:36:31 AM
Bread makes a good point, I could see this being the last of the 2020 reveals from PNSO. I made a comment, either on this thread or another, I don't remember there are so many PNSO threads to keep track of now, but I said something along the lines of how it felt weird to reveal this figure now instead of closer to the end of their upcoming reveals since it appears to be an intended breadwinner. But if it's the last to come from 2020, then I suppose revealing it now would make sense!

Anyway, I certainly hope to see the parasaurolophus soon. The other two hadrosaurs have been so gorgeous, and I hope the parasaurolophus is just as lovely if not more so!
What I've heard is that pnso is revealing a figure a week until February. Don't know if it's true or not

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That's why they shouldn't be an unnecessary split between  2020 releases and 2021 releases, they are the same batch, amd as far as I in the UK is concerned, only the Microraptor was actually released in 2020, even if Everything Dinosaur gets the shipment with Lambeosaurus, Corythosaurus, Borealopelta, Tuojiangosaurus, Spinosaurus, Atopodentatus and Pachyrhinosaurus in tomorrow, none of them will arrive with customers until 2021 anyway
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Dinoxels

No one seems to have posted these in hand images of the "Winter Wilson", so here you go:

Sorry for picture spam  :P
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: