News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO—New for 2020

Started by suspsy, January 30, 2020, 03:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrorchicken

Quote from: Remko on January 01, 2021, 07:06:06 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on January 01, 2021, 06:57:09 PM

I actually think the upright stance works really well on cryolopho. Like it got spooked by something and its jumping back. Or its in the middle of a fight with another smaller dino. OTOH they totally bothched  that similar stance on the giganto. It doesn't look natural on that  figure at all. (I think I already mentioned this in a previous thread but just thought like sharing it again) O:-)

But yeah Papo does need to cut back on some of these dynamic poses. Its getting to be a bit overdone.

The Dilophosaurus by Papo is the most believable. The Cryolophosaurus and especially their Giganotosaurus are modeled in completely impossible poses.
They are, after all, Tetanurans, literally meaning "stiff tails". The long tails weren't just for show, they were needed to counterbalance the animal when walking. They could not move in ways as shown on the figures.
Jurassic World 2 had this wrong with Raptor Blue as well, but then again, the Jurassic Park/World movies long ago stopped caring for any form of scientifically accuracy...

oh I didn't know that about the tails. I only knew that was true of raptors. I dont know if its enough to deter me from getting the figure. I like the paint and sculpt too much! Its a Papo though, so I guess I could just excuse its inaccuracy to its Papo-ness. :P

Dromaenychus

Speaking of upright bipedal dinosaurs, Amazon has a new listing for Domingo the Carnotaurus:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RY3SLZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Qa28Fb3E4BC34?psc=1

Sim

While on YouTube I found this review of PNSO's new Tyrannosaurus.  The reviewer refers to several explanations by Zhao Chuang, including I think, that the visible scales on this T. rex's body can actually represent "islands" of smaller scales which are too small to see.  It's an interesting review!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnssKFew5x0

Sim

I wonder if PNSO's new Tyrannosaurus has a chest that's wide enough?

(Image origianlly posted by Bread)

Here's Scott Hartman's Sue skeletal for comparison.  Is the difference because the PNSO T. rex is based on a different specimen?

SidB

Quote from: Sim on January 10, 2021, 04:15:31 PM
While on YouTube I found this review of PNSO's new Tyrannosaurus.  The reviewer refers to several explanations by Zhao Chuang, including I think, that the visible scales on this T. rex's body can actually represent "islands" of smaller scales which are too small to see.  It's an interesting review!

I was quite taken by the "islands of scales" concept too. Seemed to be a reasonable justification for the largeness of these apparent "scales."

SidB

Quote from: Sim on January 10, 2021, 04:29:32 PM

Here's Scott Hartman's Sue skeletal for comparison.  Is the difference because the PNSO T. rex is based on a different specimen?

Definitely a strong possibility. Also, maybe a larger chest would add extra weight that would decisively imbalance the figure.

suspsy

Quote from: Sim on January 10, 2021, 04:29:32 PM

Sue is considerably larger and beefier than AMNH 5027, so it probably is just that.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Remko

I don't think the entire paleontological debate about scales and posture for the new T. rex figure is meant for this particular topic...

Anyway, with this discussion, we already mostly missed the release of the Carnotaurus, and now we have another figure. And an ankylosaurid as well, "Bart the Pinacosaurus". Although Bart is a strange name for a Mongolian dinosaur...   :))

https://youtu.be/GdlUWaZikiI

Gothmog the Baryonyx

R @Remko the Carnotaurus and Pinacosaurus are mentioned in the 2021 thread due to arbitrary reasons
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Remko

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 10, 2021, 08:27:03 PM
R @Remko the Carnotaurus and Pisanosaurus are mentioned in the 2021 thread due to arbitrary reasons

Ah, good point. Missed that topic.  ;)

Mattyonyx

Quote from: SidB on January 10, 2021, 04:38:17 PM
Quote from: Sim on January 10, 2021, 04:15:31 PM

I was quite taken by the "islands of scales" concept too. Seemed to be a reasonable justification for the largeness of these apparent "scales."

I made a comment as Paleo-Nerd under the video (which I loved, just to be clear), because I think that there was some misunderstanding around the whole "island of scales" thing. In his answer, DinosDragons himself stated that "in general the scalation is probably too big".

Sim

avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx, I read the comments in question.  Is it not possible the "scales" on the figure represent "islands" bigger than the ones described in the paper, which would contain the skin impressions described in the paper?

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on January 10, 2021, 07:38:31 PM
Sue is considerably larger and beefier than AMNH 5027, so it probably is just that.

Thanks avatar_suspsy @suspsy.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Sim on January 10, 2021, 09:49:00 PM
avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx, I read the comments in question.  Is it not possible the "scales" on the figure represent "islands" bigger than the ones described in the paper, which would contain the skin impressions described in the paper?
As I said in the comments, The "islands" themselves would measure 5 mm or even less, so I don't think they can be visible on a 1:35 model. Also, with the current data available, the idea of bigger island scales would be quite a stretch.

Over9K

Heads up for those with Winter Wilson on the way...

Use that chest support. The front foot on mine completely folded after 2 days. The hot water trick fixed it, but yeah... it's a tripod and it needs that support. Watch for the back foot to lift off the ground...

SidB

With this historic mail logjam and slowdown, hopefully my Winter Wilson gets to me before the end of winter. But thanks avatar_Over9K @Over9K for this advice.

Dinoxels

I have a friend who received Winter Wilson and he stands so well that he can stand on one leg! It's honestly nuts. 
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

SidB

Quote from: Dinoxels on January 13, 2021, 10:03:40 AM
I have a friend who received Winter Wilson and he stands so well that he can stand on one leg! It's honestly nuts.
Well, I guess that I'll take Winter Willy anyway I can get him. I've seen so many variations on the perennial theropod free-standing or not issue that I think that I've  come to grips with the "curse of the theropods"!

Carnoking

I just got my Winter Wilson and the jaw is defective. Anyone know a tried and true way of getting in touch with PNSO?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: