News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO 2021 Hopes and Dreams

Started by stargatedalek, February 22, 2020, 02:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: Antey on November 13, 2021, 02:27:28 PM
As I understand it, the only argument (apart from speculation) is that modern animals have lips. Hence theropods must have them. I am glad that PNSO has a different point of view.  ;D

Speculation is most definitely an argument. And you might want to read up on this more.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/the-lip-post1%3fformat=amp
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

As I understand it, the only argument (apart from speculation) is that modern animals have lips. Hence theropods must have them. I am glad that PNSO has a different point of view.  ;D
As I understand it, the only argument (apart from speculation) is that modern big cats have fur. Hence smilodon must have them.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

TaranUlas

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 13, 2021, 03:10:05 PM
As I understand it, the only argument (apart from speculation) is that modern big cats have fur. Hence smilodon must have them.

As I understand it, the only argument (apart from speculation) is that modern reptiles have scales. Hence mosasaurs must have them.

Sim

Quote from: Bread on November 11, 2021, 07:57:31 PM
Yeah GR Toys has for sure mastered lips. That leads me to my next point, I'd worry if PNSO mess up on constructing lips on their therapods, plus an issue with jaw articulation.
Although there are a lot of recent customs on Wilson with the addition of lips that look spectacular. Curious if PNSO will ever add lips, but we'll see I guess.

avatar_Bread @Bread, PNSO gave lips to their Yangchuanosaurus and Giganotosaurus, perhaps their Mosasaurus too - I don't know about the last one.  The lips worked well on the Yangchuanosaurus but not on the Giganotosaurus which had lips that were wider than the upper part of the skull for some weird reason.

Halichoeres

I'm pretty pleased with how 2021 has gone, although I was pessimistic given the large number of theropods early in the year.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Quote from: Sim on November 13, 2021, 06:09:20 PM
Quote from: Bread on November 11, 2021, 07:57:31 PM
Yeah GR Toys has for sure mastered lips. That leads me to my next point, I'd worry if PNSO mess up on constructing lips on their therapods, plus an issue with jaw articulation.
Although there are a lot of recent customs on Wilson with the addition of lips that look spectacular. Curious if PNSO will ever add lips, but we'll see I guess.

avatar_Bread @Bread, PNSO gave lips to their Yangchuanosaurus and Giganotosaurus, perhaps their Mosasaurus too - I don't know about the last one.  The lips worked well on the Yangchuanosaurus but not on the Giganotosaurus which had lips that were wider than the upper part of the skull for some weird reason.
I always forget they had lips on certain older museum line figures. I just know they had loose jaw articulation, but they were so heavily shrink wrapped that I would have rather taken no lips if it meant less shrink wrapping.

Sim

I don't think the Yangchuanosarus was too shrink-wrapped.  And my one didn't have a loose jaw, the articulation worked fine.

Bread

Quote from: Sim on November 14, 2021, 03:06:31 PM
I don't think the Yangchuanosarus was too shrink-wrapped.  And my one didn't have a loose jaw, the articulation worked fine.
In person the figure is heavily shrink wrapped. Especially the around the skull of the figure. I would even argue that it is one of the most shrink wrapped figures made by PNSO.

Antey

Leaving the subject of lipped theropods, you better tell me why the local patrons have such a hatred for PNSO? Completely children's toys from "old manufacturers" invariably turn out to be higher in their personal ratings. They find fault with the slightest flaws in PNSO and do not notice the terrible performance of their favorites. It seems that the matter is in some personal psychological motives.

suspsy

By "local patrons," do you mean people here? If so, then colour me befuddled, because I haven't seen any hatred expressed for PNSO.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Quote from: Antey on November 17, 2021, 07:41:48 PM
Leaving the subject of lipped theropods, you better tell me why the local patrons have such a hatred for PNSO? Completely children's toys from "old manufacturers" invariably turn out to be higher in their personal ratings. They find fault with the slightest flaws in PNSO and do not notice the terrible performance of their favorites. It seems that the matter is in some personal psychological motives.
Quality of detail does not equate to quality of design, nor to scientific accuracy. Everyone has different priorities and a lot of the active members here have a strong preference towards scientific accuracy, something PNSO has a mixed track record with, hence there is a lot of people talking about the figures flaws.

You might prefer quality of detail and say the PNSO Tyrannosaurus is the best, someone else might prefer scientific accuracy and say the Beasts of the Mesozoic is the best, someone else might prioritize accuracy but dislike articulation, and so say the Wild Safari is the best.

Bread

There is obviously criticism but not at all any hatred. I buy their products, but I acknowledge that there are some scientific faults with some figures. I provide some minor nitpicks as do others. I don't see what you are getting at, plus it seems like you may be insulting members?

Edit: I also want to note that whenever there is a new reveal, a majority of us scream with excitement, exaggerating as this may just be me ;D

TaranUlas

It's for several reasons that have nothing really to do with psychological motives or otherwise:

1. PNSO is much more expensive than the likes of Collecta and Safari (Who I'm presuming this comment is really about because I don't know which other toy companies people get really excited about here.) A Collecta or Safari figure will at most run me 5-25 dollars individually so my expectations for it are automatically lower. If the paint isn't great on my Safari figure, I can live with that because I didn't spend that much to begin with. By contrast, PNSO charges 28-67 dollars for their models. The increased price will automatically bring higher expectations both in regards to accuracy and quality. I see the same thing in Transformers, which I also collect. A flaw that would be annoying on a 20 dollar figure becomes much more of a problem on a 200 dollar figure.

2. PNSO has an odd approach to scientific accuracy. Sometimes you will get a beautiful figure that is perfectly accurate to the fossils and sometimes you will get a figure with a speculative feature or outdated concept. This is especially odd for a company that prizes itself on scientific accuracy and can leave people annoyed that they can't seem to decide which direction they are going.

Both of these together are why people can complain a good bit about PNSO. The price is high, meaning that inaccuracies, bad paint jobs, and bad sculpting stand out that much harder. If they were released as Schleich figures for 12.99, I wouldn't care at all about those things and most other people wouldn't either. Because it is 29-67 dollars though with 3 weeks shipping and high shipping costs... It's much more of an issue when those things happen.

EDIT: I would strongly recommend that you refrain from the implied insults. It's rather unamusing, hurtful for some, and is just rude since you can get across the same basic idea with a few politely stated words rather than insults. It works better that way.

Libraraptor

Look, avatar_Antey @Antey, when I first came here 13 or so years ago, I was happy to have found a well-meaning place where we all agreed on: "Tastes are different. It is that simple. We enjoy our hobby and ourselves and desist from imputations and deriding each other. Things have become much more complicated for everybody, since the virus and capitalism have everyone freak out to a certain extent - me explicitly included. Sometimes I have the feeling forums like these or social media generally seem to be seen as the only way for  to whoop it up by many people.

People here sometimes try to poison the climate of good communication or to even hurt others. Presuming psychological motives are at the bottom of preferences for certain figures, brands or lines is completely pointless. Firstly we all do things out of psychological motives, secondly collecting dinosaur toys and figures and models in itself is already an interesting psychological  issue which I donĀ“t find bad at all. And in the end please let us return to discussions on a factual level. In this thread and all the other threads.
Thank you.

Lynx

Hatred? When?
Sure, PNSO gets criticism when criticism is deserved, but as far as I know, nobody on here has expressed full-on hate for the brand. And usually, people point out the big things, not "oh, I don't like the slight curve this neck is making"
However, when it comes to figures they are aiming to make realistic, of course, people are going to call out the inaccuracy that may pop up on it. And in case you have not noticed, people do notice the flaws of their favorites. They might not criticize their favorite figure or brand as much as others, but that's what all people do with their 'favorites'. I love Rebor (much more than PNSO) but I still give out criticism when it comes to stuff I don't particularly enjoy (such as the Yutyrannus.) The same goes for the majority of people on here with their favorites.
I find you're bringing unnecessary drama and making false assumptions.
An oversized house cat.

Shonisaurus

I love both PNSO and other Chinese brands like Nanmu Studio or W-Dragon, I don't hate PNSO but I have stopped buying their figures, firstly because they impose customs duties on me, secondly because they are not sold in European stores except for the exceptional and dear everythingdinosaur company but unfortunately the pound is much higher than the euro and between buying the figure and between the shipping costs my poor budget goes, and third the prices (which are what they are worth) of the PNSO figures They have become very expensive, I know that the price represents the beauty of the product one hundred percent but as I have already pointed out in the second reason I cannot afford many luxuries and I resort to other more affordable brands such as Mojo, Collecta, Papo, Schleich or Safari and for the third reason they are dedicated to constantly issuing new figures, that is, they are in constant revelation of new laudable and plausible figures since they represent an enrichment and great satisfaction for the collections. But obviously many members of DTF cannot afford to buy all these figures and now ... with customs taxes in my case I cannot make these expenses, quite unfortunately I have to charge higher and higher taxes on electricity / gas , water, telephone to allow me the luxury of getting into debt in precious, capricious and attractive figures such as the PNSO figures but that do not stop being a whim and in my case I am not a spoiled person nor a fool in spending hundreds of euros to the month as a fourth reason, I do not have enough space to house so many figures, I have a reasonably acceptable house but not a winter palace metaphorically speaking to place innumerable figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals and I honestly do not want to separate myself from my dinosaurs youth and vintage models that I recently bought years ago from Battat, Play Visions, UKRD (the latter I picked up thanks to Duna an m forum member) or Invicta.

As a postscript to my message, the PNSO dinosaurs are super cool and beautiful and I like them wildly but I have to prioritize what I have to spend on first or which companies I should choose if they are cheaper and many of them detailed in their figures such as Papo or scientifically accurate like Safari or Collecta or economic companies that make cool dinosaurs like Schleich or Mojo or buy Eofauna figures that thanks to the fact that they belong to my nation I can afford to collect them all since I have local stores that do not pay me shipping costs by spending a figure of acceptable money. PNSO makes precise and unpublished figures in the collection but they are very expensive for my pocket, their figures are immense like Nick the ceratosaurus for example or the PNSO ophtalmosaurus that I bought and that I do not know where to place it and its revelations are constant and excessive and Between the excessive number and the price (and I sincerely hope that it continues so that many DTF members buy those figures with enthusiasm and because they can afford that healthy and enriching hobby) a server has stopped buying and if I buy it will be selective, that is to say dinosaur or prehistoric animals that I do not have in my collection such as the machioreceratops, sinoceratops (I have only Favorite and the Nanmu), livyatan, helicoprion, zhuchengtyrannus, tarbosaurus or torvosaurus (theropods that I have in my collection but which are still rare figures among the collectible figures.

I love PNSO and the vast majority of DTF members love PNSO like other brands like BoTM to take another example and I think your statement is not fair.

GojiraGuy1954

Idk what youre talking about a lot of the people here like to lick the mud off of PNSO's boots
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Takama

Colurosaurs,   I Really want more Colurosaurs, the only one they made in there Main line is The Microraptor that comes in Two pieces.

Specific ones i want are

Utahraptor
Archeopteryx
And Yi

I also want more Sauropods. And no PNSO, I dont Want all the Extra Clutter with my Dinosaur Collectible. Just a Booklet and a model is fine like with the rest of the line ::)

Sim

For coelurosaurs in their main line they made the tyrannosauroids too, but it would be good if PNSO represented the main unrepresented types.  As I described in the PNSO 2021 thread I'd like PNSO to make Linheraptor and Velociraptor with neat feathering.  Sauropodomorphs lack representation from PNSO too, but if they are going to make them lipless I'd prefer they had their mouth open so I can pretend they have lips.

Antey

Returning to the main topic - here on the forum information about the new ceratops flashed, judging by the "spy" photos, this is either a Triceratops or a Torosaurus. I understand that I will incur more curses on myself, but the updated Doyle is what I would like. The new Wilson needs a new rival from Hell Creek. I wouldn't mind dromaeosaurids though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: