News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

"...Congratulations to Mojo for being "Most Improved!"
I will be going from totally skipping this line, to purchasing all of the new 2013 mammals, and looking forward to new mammals in the future.  (Dinosaurs still need major work though!)"

I couldn't have put it better myself.

"Jeers to Carnegie for 'Most dissapointing'"

I'm going to have to disagree here,the Concavenator is very nice!

"Cheers to PAPO for 3 sweet additions, they might be 'Best in Show' for 2013 for me."

Their Dimetrodon in my opinion will be the best thing Papo has ever released.

"Cheers to Wild Safari for 'most consistent'"

It's the Dimorphodon that is the "best in show" for me!

Cheers to Procon for 'good effort'

I have to say,I love what I see of the "deluxe" Papasaurolophus. :)

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Aram-Rex

The paint on the Dimetrodon is mindblowing! This year is my year. Really. 2 things that I most eagerly wanted to see from Papo since I started collecting, was a wooly rhino and a Carnotaurus. Can't believe It's finally happened. :) :) :) :)

Coke

Fantastic! Now i'm really glad for this Papo's new releases. I can't wait to have them in my hands.

;D

Patrx

Oh, man. I really like the looks of the new Dimetrodon, despite its innacuracies.  :o

tanystropheus

Anyone know what a Dimetrodon is supposed to look like?--A quick google search seems to reveal a vast spectrum of phenotypes for this animal.  Some representations appear more stylized (especially, with respect to the sail) than others. There are illustrations that even make Dimetrodon appear Edaphosaurus-like.

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 17, 2012, 10:55:00 PM
Anyone know what a Dimetrodon is supposed to look like?--A quick google search seems to reveal a vast spectrum of phenotypes for this animal.  Some representations appear more stylized (especially, with respect to the sail) than others. There are illustrations that even make Dimetrodon appear Edaphosaurus-like.
It's just like with illustrations of any prehistoric animal,it's best to look at the proportions of the skeletons to get a better idea of what it'sproportions should be.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Seijun

I like the new Papo dimetro and carno, however the position of the carno bothers me. That "butt flying in the wind" pose is too extreme for my tastes. My eye was not drawn towards to front of the animal, but to the back, and it should be the other way around.  :-\
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Balaur

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 17, 2012, 08:06:04 PM
Agh!  :o

Papo Dimetrodon  8)

Yay!  :)

Carnotaurus. Yay!  :)

Woolly rhino! Yay! :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Seijun on December 17, 2012, 11:33:48 PM
I like the new Papo dimetro and carno, however the position of the carno bothers me. That "butt flying in the wind" pose is too extreme for my tastes. My eye was not drawn towards to front of the animal, but to the back, and it should be the other way around.  :-\

Well, it would certainly allow for an interesting demonstration of affection between the Carnegie Carno and the Papo Carno...I would imagine that the jaws would be kept closed or something to that effect (this would contrast starkly with the Sideshow Carno which is clearly chasing prey, apparently)

Jetoar

Carnotaurus and Dimetrodon. They are amazings I like all  ^-^
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gwangi

That Papo Carnotaurus looks to be right up there with the Allosaurus...a must have. The Dimetrodon too, I think I'm looking more forward to non-dinosaurs this year than I am actual dinosaurs.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I really like the pose of the Dimetrodon, looks like Strasser's to me. Tt's colors and details are excellent. I think perhaps the upper skull should be taller but I'm not 100% sure there. 

How long have we been wanting a Carno by Papo ? Seems like FOREVER ! Well we finally got one !

It's clearly based on the Sideshow Carno , pose, colors, but maybe a bit more armored ala the Disney DINOSAUR version.  The pose is a tiny bit off putting. I wouldn't mind at all if pivoted at the hips and would allow a higher front end posture.  I'm sure some clever customizers will fix that it's so simple to do.

suspsy

Both the Dimetrodon and the Carnotaurus look gorgeous. Love their poses too. It's safe to assume that the Carno will be similar in size to the Allosaurus, but I wonder how big the Dimetro will be. Probably around Euplocephalus' size.

Think there's at least one more figure in store from Papo?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on December 18, 2012, 04:46:22 AM
Both the Dimetrodon and the Carnotaurus look gorgeous. Love their poses too. It's safe to assume that the Carno will be similar in size to the Allosaurus, but I wonder how big the Dimetro will be. Probably around Euplocephalus' size.

Maybe...if so surely something small. About the size of the Baby Rex this year.

ajax

Hmmm, another figure, another sauropod maybe? Papo might surprise us with the best ever Amargasaurus. Now how good would that look done in the famous Papo detail.

ajax

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 18, 2012, 04:57:09 AM

Maybe...if so surely something small. About the size of the Baby Rex this year.

Ohhh, what about a Kentrosaurus, that would be small but epic if made by Papo.

tanystropheus

It's interesting to note that Papo is more or less done with non-obscure dinosaurs.  With the exception of resculpts, the only remaining non-obscure dinosaurs include: Protoceratops, Kentrosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Liopleurodon, and Apatosaurus

The introduction of obscure or semi-obscure* dinosaurs (e.g. Cerato, Giga, Amarga, Diplodocus, Elasmosaurus, Torosaurus, Iguanodon, etc.) will force Papo to a new level of creativity, severing their supposed dependence on pop-cultural representations.

*By semi-obscure, I mean dinosaurs that are not exactly always represented in mainstream dinosaur lines

Joel

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 18, 2012, 03:12:21 AM
I really like the pose of the Dimetrodon, looks like Strasser's to me.
I noticed that as well:

tanystropheus

uhm....Diabloceratops?

ajax

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 18, 2012, 05:34:37 AM
It's interesting to note that Papo is more or less done with non-obscure dinosaurs.  With the exception of resculpts, the only remaining non-obscure dinosaurs include: Protoceratops, Kentrosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Liopleurodon, and Apatosaurus

The introduction of obscure or semi-obscure* dinosaurs (e.g. Cerato, Giga, Amarga, Diplodocus, Elasmosaurus, Torosaurus, Iguanodon, etc.) will force Papo to a new level of creativity, severing their supposed dependence on pop-cultural representations.

*By semi-obscure, I mean dinosaurs that are not exactly always represented in mainstream dinosaur lines

I hope Papo make a new and improved Triceratops and Stegosaurus at some stage in the future, Both are nice figures but both could be improved greatly, espically the Stegosaurus. They just need to use a similar sculpt to the latest wild safari Stego.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: