News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Large feet was a given, but at least there not as Rediculus as Schilechs competetor

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah Papo pretty much stomps all over Schleich... ;D

Any further pics of Papo's other offering for 2013 ?

Takama

You mean the Rhino? well a member of another Forum had got his hands on it.

Seijun

The mouth, and especially the horn, are very bizarre.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Seijun on December 19, 2012, 06:12:56 AM
The mouth, and especially the horn, are very bizarre.

The horn does look somewhat weird. Despite being fossilized, it also pinches inward at the center. I did find a skull with the 'pinching' at the midpoint of its dominant horn:

http://www.prehistoricstore.com/newitems/m872.jpg

The effect is pronounced a bit more on the Papo Wooly Rhino, though.

The Papo version is somewhat similar in pose (and general shape) to the Famemaster 4D Puzzle Wooly Rhino

http://d2qss72tiioiku.cloudfront.net/image/original/collectible-68899.jpg?1315438525

The mouth does not seem to look all that much different form a modern rhino:

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00005olh5TwX3DM/s/600/White-Rhino-close-up-with-water-dripping-from-mouth.jpg

Blade-of-the-Moon

I was looking for  their other items, animals, fantasy, ect.. :)

Bokisaurus

Nice new Papo's, I like them :)

anchry6

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 17, 2012, 08:40:13 PM
Quote from: anchry6 on December 17, 2012, 08:24:44 PM
Thank you for hearing our prayers. AMEN.   O:-)

:D

Indeed! Coincidence or influence?
http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,459.0.html

Seeing what Mojo wrote on the time required for the production of new toys, I do not think that this forum has influenced the choice of Papo figure. However, I believe that it is very likely that the forum has succeeded in its main goal: we have influenced the Papo for the creation of a dinosaur closer to the scientific vision than pop culture.
I need to see more pictures to be sure, but it is surprisingly similar to what I described in the documents that I sent ... I do not think this is a coincidence.

:D

Simon

Quote from: Takama on December 19, 2012, 05:44:12 AM
You mean the Rhino? well a member of another Forum had got his hands on it.

I think what they did to the horn (turned it into a club) is abominable.  Yeah, I know - they don't want some kid to get stabbed in the eye and then sue Papo.  Its awful.  Anyone buying it should plan out the best way of whittling it down.

Paleoferrequine - do you take commissions?   ^-^

Jetoar

Coooooool I have waiting to get my Coelodonta and this time has arrived  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Seijun

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 19, 2012, 06:39:32 AM

The mouth does not seem to look all that much different form a modern rhino:

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00005olh5TwX3DM/s/600/White-Rhino-close-up-with-water-dripping-from-mouth.jpg

I think its the lower profile of the jaw that is making it look off. On modern rhinos, there is a lot of "meat" under the jawline, but on the papo it is completely flat, so it reminds of the face on a hog sucker fish

Regarding the horn, I could have lived with the fossilized texture, but the fact that the horn is shaped like a baseball bat or bowling pin... just... ugh. How could they even mess that up? Its like, the easiest part of the entire animal to sculpt. And they have done rhinos before, with correct horns!
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

postsaurischian

Quote from: Seijun on December 19, 2012, 09:56:13 AM
Regarding the horn, I could have lived with the fossilized texture, but the fact that the horn is shaped like a baseball bat or bowling pin... just... ugh. How could they even mess that up? Its like, the easiest part of the entire animal to sculpt. And they have done rhinos before, with correct horns!

It's hard to understand. Especially because they did the smaller horn right ;D.

brontodocus

Yes, the horn bothers me, too. Has anyone information about if it's laterally flattened? I wonder why it's nearly always ignored in figures that Coelodonta had a laterally compressed horn. Or is it because if it's not ignored, it turns out that way? ;D I hope not.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Aram-Rex

They could've made the horn a bit sharper... It looks like a baseball bat :/

juju1305

The horn is indeed disappointing, especially when looked at from the side.

However, this new line up by Papo is exciting. The dimetrodon and Carno look amazing and seem to be up there with some other papo figures. Quality-wise, they're miles ahead of the pack on the afforable figures market. And the accuracy gap seems to tighten itself. Maybe there's one or two more in stock from Papo for 2013, that would be fantastic.

SBell

Quote from: Aram-Rex on December 19, 2012, 02:27:58 PM

It could at least have a point to it, instead of that weird bulge at the end.

As always, Papo has to make sure every figure has at least one weird flaw in it that should be easily avoided.

Himmapaan

Quote from: SBell on December 19, 2012, 05:06:18 PM
As always, Papo has to make sure every figure has at least one weird flaw in it that should be easily avoided.

Is that an ad hominem remark, Mr. Bell?  ;D

SBell

Quote from: Himmapaan on December 19, 2012, 05:18:08 PM

Is that an ad hominem remark, Mr. Bell?  ;D

Not if it's factual; I'm pretty sure that every one of their figures (okay, really, every figure by everyone) has at least one odd thing about it somehow; Papo just seems to wind up with really strange ones. And I made my statement against a company, not a person! ;D

Aram-Rex

Don't get me wrong, safety is important. If children at the age of like 2, 3, maximum 4 have these models at home then companies have to be cautious. Of course for collectors like us It's a bit weird looking. But anyway I myself am a big Papo fan and will get it

ajax

Quote from: Aram-Rex on December 19, 2012, 02:27:58 PM

It could at least have a point to it, instead of that weird bulge at the end.

At least this flaw will be easy to fix with a sharp knife. Or a pencil sharpner.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.