News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 20, 2012, 09:00:34 PM
Amazing! I suppose Papo is now aware of the demand for scientifically-oriented figures by the community.

Hmm..depends on what they're exact reply was.  All I can extrapolate is that they saw the Sideshow Carno , saw a member asked for it, and made it ?

ajax

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 20, 2012, 08:55:56 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 20, 2012, 07:04:16 PM
Quote from: anchry6 on December 20, 2012, 07:01:53 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 17, 2012, 08:40:13 PM
Quote from: anchry6 on December 17, 2012, 08:24:44 PM
Thank you for hearing our prayers. AMEN.   O:-)

:D

Indeed! Coincidence or influence?
http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,459.0.html

I have an official announcement by the Papo: they followed our advice to make a Carnotaurus and, above all, how to do it!
I do not know why I have not answered before ... Maybe because they were afraid that I would talk ahead of time ...

Well congratulations then Anchry, all you hard work paid off! 8)  :D

Same here. I honestly hadn't thought they would myself.  Maybe they'll continue to lend an ear here now. :)

If that's the case then everyone join the Conga Line....... GIGA GIGA GIGA......GIGA GIGA GIGA.....GIGA GIGA GIGA....

SBell

Amazing! I suppose Papo is now aware of the demand for scientifically-oriented figures by the community.

Seeing as how the Carnotaurus...isn't...I think their dinosaurs will continue to have their 'monstery' essence. Otherwise, they'd just be well-done Schleich dinos.  Papo has a certain look and feel to them, and has never made claims to education or museum-quality, and judging by their market share, I'm guessing that they are okay with that.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on December 20, 2012, 09:45:07 PM

Seeing as how the Carnotaurus...isn't...I think their dinosaurs will continue to have their 'monstery' essence. Otherwise, they'd just be well-done Schleich dinos.  Papo has a certain look and feel to them, and has never made claims to education or museum-quality, and judging by their market share, I'm guessing that they are okay with that.

True. But, Carnotaurus is supposed to look 'monstrous'---It even has 2 horns above its head >:D

How accurate are Sideshow models---I'm assuming that they are more artistic than accurate, based on their overall level of fluidity, embellishments...?

John

I have an official announcement by the Papo: they followed our advice to make a Carnotaurus and, above all, how to do it!
I do not know why I have not answered before ... Maybe because they were afraid that I would talk ahead of time ...

Well anchry 6,it would seem that we are both in the same happy situation,as you will get exactly what you want in the form of a Carnotaurus from Papo,and I will get exactly the prehistoric animal I wanted to see the most from Safari ltd. ,Dimorphodon macronyx.  ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 20, 2012, 10:10:02 PM
Quote from: SBell on December 20, 2012, 09:45:07 PM

True. But, Carnotaurus is supposed to look 'monstrous'---It even has 2 horns above its head >:D

How accurate are Sideshow models---I'm assuming that they are more artistic than accurate, based on their overall level of fluidity, embellishments...?
I can't really speak for the Sideshow Carnotaurus as I don't have it,but I do have the Apatosaurus maquette,which is both artistic AND accurate,as is the battling Protoceratops and Velociraptor. :D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dan

The Sideshow models are produced by some of the best paleoartists in the world, including David Krentz and Jorge Blanco. They are thoroughly researched, and usually represent the most accurate reconstructions ever mass produced at the time of their design. The Apatosaurus, for example, was reviewed by Matt Wedel (http://svpow.com/2011/11/15/sideshow-collectibles-apatosaurus-maquette/) and has been quite highly praised. If Papo's imitation of the Sideshow Carnotaurus turns out to be even half as good as the original, it will still be spectacular, even if it does leave a sour taste in my mouth.

If anyone is interested, I have also started adding ETAs to the front page of this thread. Take a look at all these great things coming in 2013.  :D

SBell

Quote from: Dan on December 20, 2012, 10:38:38 PM

The Sideshow models are produced by some of the best paleoartists in the world, including David Krentz and Jorge Blanco. They are thoroughly researched, and usually represent the most accurate reconstructions ever mass produced at the time of their design. The Apatosaurus, for example, was reviewed by Matt Wedel (http://svpow.com/2011/11/15/sideshow-collectibles-apatosaurus-maquette/) and has been quite highly praised. If Papo's imitation of the Sideshow Carnotaurus turns out to be even half as good as the original, it will still be spectacular, even if it does leave a sour taste in my mouth.

If anyone is interested, I have also started adding ETAs to the front page of this thread. Take a look at all these great things coming in 2013.  :D

I would definitely agree--if Papo figures start taking their inspiration from Sideshow and other highly researched and respected models (as opposed to JP or Disney, which seems to be Schleich's inspiration this year)they could become unstoppable. Maybe annoy a few modelers though... ;)

ajax

Does anyone else think Collecta's Daspletosaurus looks like a juvenile? I actually don't care much for it unless it is a juvenile and they release a Delux adult Daspleto next year to go with it.

Patrx

Quote from: ajax on December 20, 2012, 11:02:06 PM
Does anyone else think Collecta's Daspletosaurus looks like a juvenile?

Indeed it does! I assumed it was meant to be a juvenile, at first glance.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 18, 2012, 05:43:21 PM
Quote from: Patrx on December 17, 2012, 10:48:31 PM
Oh, man. I really like the looks of the new Dimetrodon, despite its innacuracies:o
If you could share what you find to be inaccurate, that would be very helpful :)

Sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit busy! The Dimetro's actually quite good aside from the skull issues that others have elaborated upon. At first glance, I thought the tail was too long as well, but it actually matches up with D. grandis nicely. I'd buy the figure, if I could get someone to modify the skull  :D

The Carno's pretty cool-looking, but I'm not a big fan of that particular genus. If I were to buy a Carno, it'd be one that illustrates the complete absurdity of the animal, with it's comical arms, relatively small head, long neck and long, skinny legs  8)

As far as the accuracy of the Sideshow models goes, generally they seem pretty sharp for their respective times. The aforementioned Apatosaurus seems nearly flawless. However, the Velociraptor VS. Protoceratops diorama has a few issues that kept me from paying the high asking price for it.

tyrantqueen

Can you show us what they said? :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

I haven't found much issue with any of the Sideshow pieces and I own them all so far.  All I can tell that is probably incorrect is the thickness of the legs in the Carno , Papo's are just as large or larger due to the pose I imagine.  I'll still get it and maybe have the  pose modified. ;)

Concavenator for January ? Seems a bit early for a Carnegie..but I'm good with it. :)

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 21, 2012, 12:14:54 AM
I haven't found much issue with any of the Sideshow pieces and I own them all so far.  All I can tell that is probably incorrect is the thickness of the legs in the Carno , Papo's are just as large or larger due to the pose I imagine.  I'll still get it and maybe have the  pose modified. ;)

Concavenator for January ? Seems a bit early for a Carnegie..but I'm good with it. :)
The Concavenator wouldn't be the first Carnegie Museum model to come out in January.That's when the Tylosaurus came out in 2009. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: John on December 21, 2012, 01:54:15 AM

The Concavenator wouldn't be the first Carnegie Museum model to come out in January.That's when the Tylosaurus came out in 2009. :)

Was that just three years ago ? Wow..time flies.

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 21, 2012, 02:22:35 AM
Quote from: John on December 21, 2012, 01:54:15 AM

Was that just three years ago ? Wow..time flies.
If you think THAT was a while ago,just think about this:I remember as if it were yesterday seeing the original release Carnegie Collection models all over the gift shop at the Smithsonian in May of 1990.I remember they also had one of the "new" ones,a trio of Deinonychus in stock also. Back then I would only be aware of new additions when I happened to see them on a shelf in a store,usually the Smithsonian's gift shop.I had never given the thought back then that the Carnegie Collection would end up matching Invicta's British Museum line in longevity. :)

Sharptooth

Sorry for being late but, hey, you've done really well Anchry, it's good to see companies listen to us "simple" fans  :)

But i disagree about wanting a Giga... As Blade said, i want a Papo Ceratosaurus!!!  8)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sharptooth on December 21, 2012, 05:42:20 PM
Sorry for being late but, hey, you've done really well Anchry, it's good to see companies listen to us "simple" fans  :)

But i disagree about wanting a Giga... As Blade said, i want a Papo Ceratosaurus!!!  8)

I want a Giga too, and a Gallimimus, a Dilophosaurus, ect.. but a Cerato has been on the list for a while if I recall. Given Papo's detailed and spiney style they could really pull one off well.

ChrisLikesDinos

Gotta say that I am thrilled that Papo is doing a Carnotaurus.. I hope its on par to the Papo Allosaurus for size, but I wouldn't mind them making it a pinch bigger for the hell of it. Obviously, it has some scientific issues, but artistically its an awesome looking model, but I guess that's a given knowing they borrowed from sideshow for looks. I really hope these start showing up sooner rather than later in 2013..

Also, that Dimetrodon is a welcome surprise! It looks awesome, I only wonder how large it is..

Any chance Papo have any other dinosaurs to announce for 2013?

Takama

Nope    I doupt it, unless you count modern birds, so in that case, we will get a peacock and a barn owl.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on December 22, 2012, 12:45:09 AM
Nope    I doupt it, unless you count modern birds, so in that case, we will get a peacock and a barn owl.

where can you see their other non dino releases for 2013 ?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: