News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Dan on January 25, 2013, 03:47:40 AM
Actually, Carnotaurus was recently noted for its incredible leg power. I'm more distracted by the twisting of the ankle, even as I struggle to forget this whole thing is a copycat of a much better sculpt.
So..? Toy companies rip each other off all the time. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but in this kind of competitive market, nothing is sacred.

And really, it's a good thing that they're copying Sideshow. Sideshow's pieces are always accurate and beautiful. I could never afford a Sideshow piece but now I can kind of get something that is inspired by it, which is good enough for me :)

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 25, 2013, 09:49:42 AM
And really, it's a good thing that they're copying Sideshow. Sideshow's pieces are always accurate and beautiful. I could never afford a Sideshow piece but now I can kind of get something that is inspired by it, which is good enough for me :)

Ditto  8)

Brontozaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 25, 2013, 09:49:42 AM

Exactly what I was going to say.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Dan

As a consumer, it may seem like a good thing, to get a higher quality model. There are other perspectives to consider, though. The artist who worked tirelessly to create the original model would likely be unhappy to learn that a mass manufacturer simply copied his work without permission or compensation. In this instance, it is Adrian Taboada. http://adriantaboada.blogspot.com/2010/12/carnotaurus-maquette.html I am not saying that it is wrong to want the Papo piece, but I do feel the artist deserves our respect.

suspsy

That Carnotaurus rocks. I can't wait to get it. I'll have him facing off against Papo Euoplocephalus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Quote from: Dan on January 25, 2013, 03:12:07 PM
As a consumer, it may seem like a good thing, to get a higher quality model. There are other perspectives to consider, though. The artist who worked tirelessly to create the original model would likely be unhappy to learn that a mass manufacturer simply copied his work without permission or compensation. In this instance, it is Adrian Taboada. http://adriantaboada.blogspot.com/2010/12/carnotaurus-maquette.html I am not saying that it is wrong to want the Papo piece, but I do feel the artist deserves our respect.

Well, it should be noted that Papo is known for ripping off other people as well.

Stan Winston Studios

David Krentz(The Pachyrhinosaurus is based on the one from Dinosaur, and the Styrachosaurus is another Sideshow ripoff)

Todd Marshall

sauroid

i dont think it is an exact copy of Sideshow Carno. they just have the same pose. inspired maybe, but not a total ripoff.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Simon

You can't copyright a dinosaur pose.  This is not a copy in the legally actionable sense (as a recast would be).  Yes, obviously the Papo sculptor was told to use the larger model as a guide.  They liked the pose, so he pretty much copied it (with some notable differences).

However, it is not a "rip-off" in any sense of the word.  The Papo model does not compete in the same market as the resin piece.  It is a toy, selling for 1/10 what the big one sells for, to a completely different demographic (ie kids).

The manufacturer of the big resin is not out a single dime as a result of the Papo Carnotaurus.  Therefore , it is not a ripoff.

And the sculptor of the resin model should feel complimented - after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I think that most of us around here would agree that the pose is very cool.

tyrantqueen

QuoteThe artist who worked tirelessly to create the original model would likely be unhappy to learn that a mass manufacturer simply copied his work without permission or compensation.
They haven't copied anything. It's influenced by SS, yes, very strongly. Like Simon said, you can't copyright a pose.
I bet Adrian Taboada got paid a ton more for his work than Woon did.

Also, SS are not the only victims. Schleich copied plenty of other companies (Papo, Toyway) with their dinos, but I don't see you getting upset over that.
What about the original sculptor of the stuttgart museum whose models were copied by Bullyland?

postsaurischian

Well said, Simon. Not a rip-off at all. I just ordered me one :).
Still I end up buying every new Papo release although I don't like them in the first place ;D. They have something special.

I still don't see the "obvious" similarities between the Papo and the Sideshow Styracosaurus ;D.
To me the design is very different. To copy a Krentz you have to have some special abilities ;).

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 25, 2013, 04:55:25 PM
Well said, Simon. Not a rip-off at all. I just ordered me one :).
Still I end up buying every new Papo release although I don't like them in the first place ;D. They have something special.

I still don't see the "obvious" similarities between the Papo and the Sideshow Styracosaurus ;D.
To me the design is very different. To copy a Krentz you have to have some special abilities ;).
I don't understand, why buy something you don't like? I'm not trying to attack you, just confused ??? Or are you joking?

Simon

I think what Postsaurichian meant was that, although many of the Papo pieces are scientifically inaccurate (with the Styracosaurus and the sister piece - that flat nosed one - being the exception), as works of art with great detail they are pleasing to the eye nonetheless.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Adrian thinks of this more as a tribute piece to his sculpture so all is good there. 

I thought of another good idea for this guy. Say your kids want to play with your Sideshow statue..easy replacement. ;)

Dan

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2013, 06:03:06 PM
Adrian thinks of this more as a tribute piece to his sculpture so all is good there. 

I'm glad to hear he's taken a positive view of it. Thank you for being the first person to address the issue I was contemplating. lol

Now to keep this thread on track, here is the US ETA schedule for Papo 2013, which was also added to the front page.

March:
Carnotaurus
Woolly Rhino
July:
Dimetrodon

As always, please note the Papo release schedule is prone to delays.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Simon on January 25, 2013, 05:42:22 PM
I think what Postsaurichian meant was that, although many of the Papo pieces are scientifically inaccurate (with the Styracosaurus and the sister piece - that flat nosed one - being the exception), as works of art with great detail they are pleasing to the eye nonetheless.

Exactly!

English is not my mother language. This might lead to confusion sometimes :-[.
I would never buy something I don't like.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 25, 2013, 04:53:57 PM
QuoteThe artist who worked tirelessly to create the original model would likely be unhappy to learn that a mass manufacturer simply copied his work without permission or compensation.
They haven't copied anything. It's influenced by SS, yes, very strongly. Like Simon said, you can't copyright a pose.

Also, SS are not the only victims. Schleich copied plenty of other companies (Papo, Toyway) with their dinos, but I don't see you getting upset over that.
What about the original sculptor of the stuttgart museum whose models were copied by Bullyland?

To be fair, Bullyland was working with the Stuttgart museum, so very likely they were encouraged or even expected to make toy versions. Just as they did with the Korbach Procynosuchus (which, based on the postcard, is a near-perfect miniature of the museum model).

juju1305

Quote from: SBell on January 25, 2013, 07:34:45 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 25, 2013, 04:53:57 PM

To be fair, Bullyland was working with the Stuttgart museum, so very likely they were encouraged or even expected to make toy versions. Just as they did with the Korbach Procynosuchus (which, based on the postcard, is a near-perfect miniature of the museum model).

you're right. And the same applies to other figures in their (current or past) range: batrachotomus, liliensternus, arizonasaurus, deinotherium

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dan on January 25, 2013, 06:20:39 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2013, 06:03:06 PM

I'm glad to hear he's taken a positive view of it. Thank you for being the first person to address the issue I was contemplating. lol

Now to keep this thread on track, here is the US ETA schedule for Papo 2013, which was also added to the front page.

March:
Carnotaurus
Woolly Rhino
July:
Dimetrodon

As always, please note the Papo release schedule is prone to delays.

Heh, yeah he says wants it himself and all the others in the line.. lol

Is that a U.S. release schedule ?  I wonder because it seemed the Carno was already being sold somewhere wasn't it ?

tanystropheus

I hope that the Carnotaurus is similar in size to the Papo Allosaurus.

anchry6

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 26, 2013, 05:35:14 AM
I hope that the Carnotaurus is similar in size to the Papo Allosaurus.
Yes, it's.

Dimensions of Allosaurus figure:
26 cm long
10.5 cm high
;)
Dimensions of the dinosaur figure:
18.5 cm long
11 cm high (tail)
;)
:))

Well .. they heard even on this ...  8)

:D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: