News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmfrankford

Was having trouble getting a pic on here but just saw a new Sideshow Dinosauria statue. A cute euplocephalus hatchling! I really want this!!

Takama

That was a very limited edition for last year.   It was sold on Sideshows website for around $40, and it went out of stock before you can say "I want That"
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=200202#

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah it sold VERY quickly prompting a lot of scalper action.  It actually won't be released til the first of February now.  If I can find a spare Melissa I'll let you know about it. :)

ChrisLikesDinos

The Carnotaurus looks nice, but Im a little disappointed in it.. Its smaller than I imagined, has a lack of individually sculpted teeth, a underwhelming and glossy paint app and its head has an obvious attachment point. Im still gonna grab it, but I do feel Papo has overall seen downgrades with their final products. Newer Allosaurs look really bad compared to the one I bought a few years ago.

Ikessauro

I love this new Carno, but I have to agree with Demoncarnotaur, Papo is getting sloppy. Their first dinosaurs were almost seamless, they had their seams, but it was very hard to see those. The first thing I tought of when I saw this new photos was "Damn Papo!! the neck seam is too evident!" I don't really mind the teeth as they are in this model, but the seams have to be almost invisible. Otherwise Papo's lifelikeness goes down the drain! :-\ :(
I hope they see this and improve this, if not their models will start to become too expensive for many people. Who would pay 20 for a T.rex with lots of seams and anatomical flaws if they can get one from Safari for 10 that's seamless and much more accurate?

mmfrankford

How in the world did I miss that?? Jeesh, I feel dumb.  :-\ :o

radman

Quote from: Ikessauro on January 27, 2013, 02:07:20 AM
I love this new Carno, but I have to agree with Demoncarnotaur, Papo is getting sloppy. Their first dinosaurs were almost seamless, they had their seams, but it was very hard to see those. The first thing I tought of when I saw this new photos was "Damn Papo!! the neck seam is too evident!" I don't really mind the teeth as they are in this model, but the seams have to be almost invisible. Otherwise Papo's lifelikeness goes down the drain! :-\ :(
I hope they see this and improve this, if not their models will start to become too expensive for many people. Who would pay 20 for a T.rex with lots of seams and anatomical flaws if they can get one from Safari for 10 that's seamless and much more accurate?

I'll probably skip Papo and go with this one:

http://www.geenemodels.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=104

Good year for Carnotaurus, though, with Papo, Geene and Shapeways all making good-looking models in plastic, resin, and whatever material Shapeways may use (your choice).  Then there's the Schleich monstrous kangaroo-thingy,  good lord, what an abomination - the kids might like it. :P ::)

Takama

Quote from: mmfrankford on January 27, 2013, 02:24:30 AM

Well it was all like.     HEY THIS THING IS OUT, and then WTF THERE ALL GONE?

and it slowly went off the radar

mmfrankford

Quote from: Takama on January 27, 2013, 03:04:48 AM
Quote from: mmfrankford on January 27, 2013, 02:24:30 AM

Well it was all like.     HEY THIS THING IS OUT, and then WTF THERE ALL GONE?

and it slowly went off the radar

Wow I guess. Pity it's a great little sculpt.  :(

Blade-of-the-Moon

You can still sign up for the wait list..it's a bit like back order I think : http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=200202

Papo seems to  not be sloppy per se but they do seem to vary quite a bit in quality.  I know some mentioned obvious seams and color contrast on their Brachio but mine and others I've seen look perfect.  All I can say is order from someone who will cherry pick for you.

Radman, that is a nice model..just a shame it's from Galileo. Not bashing but I do still hear he has issues with getting product out and all the pieces of it as well.  Now if it were released as a vinyl kit by that other company he did the Trike and Rex for it would be great.

SBell

Quote from: radman on January 27, 2013, 02:32:19 AM
Quote from: Ikessauro on January 27, 2013, 02:07:20 AM

I'll probably skip Papo and go with this one:

http://www.geenemodels.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=104

Good year for Carnotaurus, though, with Papo, Geene and Shapeways all making good-looking models in plastic, resin, and whatever material Shapeways may use (your choice).  Then there's the Schleich monstrous kangaroo-thingy,  good lord, what an abomination - the kids might like it. :P ::)

Don't forget the Ademar model!

tyrantqueen

Well, sometimes the figure might look better in real life than it does in catalogue photos. I think we should wait until someone gets a hold of this figure and photograph it for themselves...
And anyway, sometimes companies mess up. Look at the Battat line. I consider only less than half of the figures produced to be really desirable (in my opinion) because of sloppy detailing, stability issues, poor paint application etc. but they have a huge fan following. And the Papo Dimetrodon still looks really promising.
I think to say that Papo has thrown their "life-likeness down the drain" is a bit of harsh thing to say after seeing only a few catologue shots of one sculpt.
I wonder if Papo might have rushed this one out, because of fan demand...?

The geene models Carno is beautiful, but it has claws....a common mistake that many sculptors make it seems :/ I can't order from that site anyway. Unless someone wants to help me out...? ;)

SommoDracorex

SBell

Quote from: SommoDracorex on January 27, 2013, 02:10:57 PM
http://www.youblisher.com/p/525724-Geoworld-eduproducts-collection-2013/
Jurassic Hunters prehistoric mammals are in page 22-23.

About half of them are, anyway.  That's the photos I had, and was asked not to make them widely available. So much for that!

Takama

sauroid

i am definitely getting the 2013 Mojofun figures!
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Takama

Oh,   I was on another forum, and someone has recived a papo Carnotour.

Here is a size comparison

Balaur

I am so getting that Carnotaurus! And the Mojo figures!  ;)

tyrantqueen

That carno must have lumbago :P

crankydinosaur

Quote from: SBell on January 27, 2013, 05:12:11 PM
Quote from: SommoDracorex on January 27, 2013, 02:10:57 PM
http://www.youblisher.com/p/525724-Geoworld-eduproducts-collection-2013/
Jurassic Hunters prehistoric mammals are in page 22-23.

About half of them are, anyway.  That's the photos I had, and was asked not to make them widely available. So much for that!

It wasn't me! I wasn't the one who snitched! But now that they're out in the open.... OMG EXCITED! This is the year I finally finish my geologic time in jar project!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: