News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisLikesDinos

Quote from: Takama on February 03, 2013, 02:05:55 AM
This Just shows that Papo was listening.

Carnotaurus was not a Giant, we said, so they gave us a small one.    Though i will admit, it should be a little bigger then the Raptor

True, it was no giant, but it is still vastly too small. I think they heard the word 'small' and didn't bother to research how small. Even with the variable sizes that the Allosaurus can be its still too small when compared.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's about 1/40 from what I've heard..when compared to the Rex I think.   Papo isn't about scale much though. Now if the Papo Allo were an Epanterias then this Carno would be around the size of an average A. Fragilis from what I've seen.

ChrisLikesDinos

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 03, 2013, 02:32:16 AM
It's about 1/40 from what I've heard..when compared to the Rex I think.   Papo isn't about scale much though. Now if the Papo Allo were an Epanterias then this Carno would be around the size of an average A. Fragilis from what I've seen.

Yeah, it still seems off.. its a shame, they aren't much about scale so they made it the size of a raptor? Seems like a missed opportunity with what could have been a real eye catcher.

Splonkadumpocus

I think it's less of "the Carnotaurus is too small" and more of "the Velociraptor is too big".

tanystropheus

Quote from: Splonkadumpocus on February 03, 2013, 03:17:54 AM
I think it's less of "the Carnotaurus is too small" and more of "the Velociraptor is too big".

The raptor is definitely a bit too big, especially when juxtaposed with the T-rex...

postsaurischian

Quote from: demoncarnotaur on February 03, 2013, 02:12:10 AM

You should not calculate on dubious sources like this!
Carnotaurus sastrei was about 7.5 meters long.

anchry6

Quote from: demoncarnotaur on February 03, 2013, 01:55:24 AM
Wow, the Carnotaurus is really, really small. It looks nice, but blah. =(

(pics from Neelis @ JPlegacy)

Instead, I think the Papo's Carnotaurus got perfect size ...  8)
If you think the opposite is the fault of Disney... >:D

:D

postsaurischian

Quote from: anchry6 on February 03, 2013, 09:37:06 AM

Instead, I think the Papo's Carnosaurs got perfect size ...  8)

I know what you mean and I do agree :).

....... but Carnotaurus is not a Carnosaur ;).

Jetoar

Quote from: anchry6 on February 03, 2013, 09:37:06 AM

(pics from Neelis @ JPlegacy)

Instead, I think the Papo's Carnotaurus got perfect size ...  8)

I think the same that you friend, his size is perfect. I prefer normal and small figures  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

gfxtwin

I'm SO getting that little devil.  Papo are starting to realize their potential, IMO.  The only things I don't like about it are more like ppet peeves than anything.  Writing nitpicks about complaints about a steroid-shooting brachi, an Pachyrino with antlers, a T-rex with a broken jaw or any of the other absolutely odd goofs looks to soon be a thing of the past if Papo keeps progressing.  This guy looks to be right up there with the Carnegie Carno, IMO.

Only complaints:  Don't like the pose.  it looks like the beast is bellowing a mighty roar possibly to scare off another dino, but that's only when the mouth is open.  When closed it looks unintentionally funny.  Mating pose.  The teeth are also a slight disappointment in how brightly white they are and how they are sculpted together instead of individually like the other therapods.  Given the way carno's teeth are supposed to be small and close together, though, this is understandable.  What I don't get is why the company insists on using that shinier plastic for their current models.  It takes too much detail out of the sculpt and serves as a barrier to your imagination - it's hard to let the figure of the dino spark your imagination and take your mind back to the Jurassic when all you can think of is how much it looks like the thing is covered in glaze.  Compare these newer releases to the Papo Allo and Spinosaur and I challenge anyone to say the latter models don't seem more detailed and realistic.

I know I praised the figue and followed it with a paragraph of complaints that is three times longer, lol, but trust me - I think they are still getting much better.  God help the other dino toy companies once they iron out the remaining small blunders.

Hopefully the dimetrodon gets the good plastic because it would be a shame to see such a detailed sculpt (one that is already going to loose some of that detail when shrunk down) turn into a shiny mess like the oiled-up body builder brachi and greasy-looking ankylo.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: gfxtwin on February 04, 2013, 08:55:19 AM
I'm SO getting that little devil.  Papo are starting to realize their potential, IMO.  The only things I don't like about it are more like ppet peeves than anything.  Writing nitpicks about complaints about a steroid-shooting brachi, an Pachyrino with antlers, a T-rex with a broken jaw or any of the other absolutely odd goofs looks to soon be a thing of the past if Papo keeps progressing.  This guy looks to be right up there with the Carnegie Carno, IMO.

Only complaints:  Don't like the pose.  it looks like the beast is bellowing a mighty roar possibly to scare off another dino, but that's only when the mouth is open.  When closed it looks unintentionally funny.  Mating pose.  The teeth are also a slight disappointment in how brightly white they are and how they are sculpted together instead of individually like the other therapods.  Given the way carno's teeth are supposed to be small and close together, though, this is understandable.  What I don't get is why the company insists on using that shinier plastic for their current models.  It takes too much detail out of the sculpt and serves as a barrier to your imagination - it's hard to let the figure of the dino spark your imagination and take your mind back to the Jurassic when all you can think of is how much it looks like the thing is covered in glaze.  Compare these newer releases to the Papo Allo and Spinosaur and I challenge anyone to say the latter models don't seem more detailed and realistic.

I know I praised the figue and followed it with a paragraph of complaints that is three times longer, lol, but trust me - I think they are still getting much better.  God help the other dino toy companies once they iron out the remaining small blunders.

Hopefully the dimetrodon gets the good plastic because it would be a shame to see such a detailed sculpt (one that is already going to loose some of that detail when shrunk down) turn into a shiny mess like the oiled-up body builder brachi and greasy-looking ankylo.
You made some good points, however I'd like to point out one thing. My ankylo doesn't have that glossy varnish you're referring to. It is completely matte. Neither does my carno. I guess it could be something that varies from figure to figure :)

Also, I don't think the carno looks weird with its mouth closed. It could just be snarling or getting ready to fight a rival.

Horridus

For what it's worth, my Papo Carnotaurus doesn't seem any shinier than any of the older Papos, including the JP knock-offs. However, the inside of its mouth does have an appropriate sheen.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have  few that are more " wet looking " than others..but it doesn't bother me at all.

I asked Safari about a size reference pic for all their new pieces and they kindly obliged. :)

Primeval12

what's different about the brachiosars adult? I can't see it.

ajax

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 04, 2013, 10:15:56 PM
I have  few that are more " wet looking " than others..but it doesn't bother me at all.

I asked Safari about a size reference pic for all their new pieces and they kindly obliged. :)

Wow, the Gryposaurus is way bigger than I thought it would be, Thats so cool. Must be around 1/40, which is much better than their usually small figures.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't think there is anything different about the Brachiosaur .

That Gryposaurus is great..almost Carnegie quality.

Primeval12

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 04, 2013, 11:30:11 PM
I don't think there is anything different about the Brachiosaur

Safari said it would be a little different though.

ajax

I don't think there is anything different about the Brachiosaur .

That Gryposaurus is great..almost Carnegie quality.

I just messaged the only Australian supplier of Safari's, they will have them in March, I can't wait to get the Gryposaurus & the Diabloceratops which looks much better than its catalogue pic too.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: primeval12 on February 05, 2013, 12:11:16 AM
I don't think there is anything different about the Brachiosaur

Safari said it would be a little different though.

Maybe they meant paint-wise.

ajax

Looking at the pic again, does anyone else think the Grypo's head looks too big?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: