News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on November 10, 2012, 01:35:59 AM

Dang, The Diplo is going to be large

Compare it to the Aregentinosaurus. It's about as big, the only difference is it's rearing up.

I actually asked CollectA on FB why it wasn't a Deluxe and they said it would be too hard to make it a bigger figure. huh, go figure. :?

Gwangi

Quote from: Zopteryx on November 09, 2012, 10:47:14 PM
I'm torn on the Para, I like the relaxed pose and the feet are right, but the head seems off (too small? crest not high enough?) and body's color scheme is a bit bland.  I'll hold off until I see more photos.  I wish they had given the head different colors too, this reminds me too much of this years Deinocheirus.

I knew that color pattern looked familiar! I really don't like that para at all. The body is mostly alright but between the overall anatomy of the head and the dull colors I'm passing on this one. I'm really diggin that diplo though, as far as CollectA is concerned it is the only one so far that I'll have to get. I might get the diablo but it won't be a priority. CollectA is letting me down this year, I'm alright with that I guess since they released a lot last year I still need to get. My must haves so far would have to be the Carnegie concave and Safari Gastornis, diablo and Gryposaurus. I wouldn't mind that Papo rhino either.

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 10, 2012, 04:43:35 AM

Compare it to the Aregentinosaurus. It's about as big, the only difference is it's rearing up.

I actually asked CollectA on FB why it wasn't a Deluxe and they said it would be too hard to make it a bigger figure. huh, go figure. :?

Perhaps because there is already a rearing Jobaria? Which, apparently, might actually supposed to have a tail club!  Resculpt! If it pans out, of course.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SBell on November 10, 2012, 04:53:34 AM

Perhaps because there is already a rearing Jobaria? Which, apparently, might actually supposed to have a tail club!  Resculpt! If it pans out, of course.

I don't know maybe..it sounded more like they couldn't make a bigger figure of it which didn't make any sense.  The Jobaria certainly could use a resculpt. Fix that darn chest/belly of it's finally. ;)

crankydinosaur

I think we also need to mention... attention all prehistoric mammal fans that collecta has a przewalski's horse stallion coming out! Hopefully that means we will get a future mare and pony...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=552149221468024&set=pb.230683453614604.-2207520000.1352532776&type=3&theater

Jetoar

Yes, I will have other figures for my prehistoric mammals collection  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

postsaurischian

Looking at the coloration of the Diplo's and Para's head areas, I get the impression that it was chosen by a French designer ;D.

ProSauropod

I'm thrilled with the diplo, as my preferences are rearing Sauropods.  While I agree it would be incredible in Deluxe the overall size makes this "top shelf" - literally.  What I've found works with the rearing, long neck, and small head is it exaggerates the aspect ratio.  This helps make up for the (relatively) smaller size, and if you put it on an open shelf higher than your head - the effect looking up as the neck recedes into infinity is pretty awesome (at least for the Battat, and I expect for this).  But oooh yeah, in Deluxe ..............

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 10, 2012, 09:20:17 AM
Looking at the coloration of the Diplo's and Para's head areas, I get the impression that it was chosen by a French designer ;D.
.....What?

Anyway, I have a question about the new CollectA Diplo. How does it compare to the Battat rearing Diplo? Superior or inferior?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 10, 2012, 01:17:42 PM
.....What?

French flag  ;D

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 10, 2012, 01:40:59 PM
.....What?

French flag  ;D
Oh, it looked more pink-ish to me than red. Weird :-[

Himmapaan

Anyway, I have a question about the new CollectA Diplo. How does it compare to the Battat rearing Diplo? Superior or inferior?

Oh, the Battat will always be superior.  ;D

Please note my comment was a tongue-in-cheek one.  ;)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Himmapaan on November 10, 2012, 02:10:31 PM

Is the Battat more scientifically accurate or better sculpted? Just curious...

Himmapaan

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 10, 2012, 02:11:41 PM

The CollectA wins accuracy points too; but for me, the Battat is both accurate and a superior sculpture. However, it does suffer from Battat's rather notoriously poor production values, which the CollectA won't.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Himmapaan on November 10, 2012, 02:21:13 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 10, 2012, 02:11:41 PM

The CollectA wins accuracy points too; but for me, the Battat is both accurate and a superior sculpture. However, it does suffer from Battat's rather notoriously poor production values, which the CollectA won't.

Agreed.  You know I keep waiting for someone to dethrone the Battat Diplo but far it hasn't happened yet.

Takama

Ell something like this might have been unstable at times,   Though i did inqureir them to make a Deluxe Argentinasaurus, but i also suggested that they make it like there 1:15 scale models, and hollow it out. I evean suggested that they put it in the same line

Seijun

I think the battat diplo is overall more accurate, looks better, and is better sculpted, but the Collecta does have its advantages and is still a very well-done diplo. Here is my analysis.

What Collecta did better, or at least what I think looks better:
- More "gut" when viewed from the side, probably more accurate than Battats slimmer gut profile, and IMO looks better
- Appears to have a shorter torso, much more accurate than Battats longer torso
- Scaley skin, although the scales are probably oversized (my understanding is that diplo had scales)

What Battat did better, or at least what I think looks better:
- Slender front legs, maybe more accurate than Collectas fat front legs, but IMO looks better
- Smaller and more horseshoe shaped front feet than what Collectas appear to be (smaller front feet is more accurate, more horseshoe shaped front feet might just be a matter of taste)
- Beefier neck, maybe more accurate than Collectas slimmer neck, but IMO looks better
- Probably has a slimmer aerial-view profile (Collectas diplo looks like it will probably be too fat when viewed from the top)
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

jweber26

My Papo Brach is shipping this week! Pretty excited for that (as is my daughter).

Himmapaan

I'm with you on those points, Pam. Although I don't mind scales not being visible on the Battat. The scales on the CollectA are too large and tile-like for me, as they are on all CollectA dinosaurs.

Aram-Rex

When are we going to see new pics of the papo wolly rhino?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: