News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tips on making a large sauropod sculpt.

Started by Stegotyranno420, July 23, 2020, 12:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Basically im planning on making a sauropod figure thats atleast 20 inches along the spine, because i cant afford one. What materials i should use, i have super sculpey medium, aluminium foil, and paper mache paste and paper. And  i want this to be like the huangetitan from PNSO, which full on details. Also are there any good tricks. And also i dont have a oven i can bake the clay in.
Thanks

Brocc21

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure super sculpey needs to be baked in an oven to harden. Other than that I'd check out Kayakasaurus YouTube channel for sculpting idea or help.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Brocc21 on July 23, 2020, 12:45:52 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure super needs to be baked in an oven to harden. Other than that I'd check out Kayakasaurus YouTube channel for sculpting idea or help.
Id did and altough his art is amazing, i never got any help from it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's good to have goals, but  I think you need to start smaller.   Solid clay will weigh a ton, you need a good armature, maybe print and glue a skeleton picture on wood or heavy cardboard and then make each muscle out of aluminum foil. Tape it all together then use thin clay to sculpt over that. 

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 23, 2020, 04:24:45 AM
It's good to have goals, but  I think you need to start smaller.   Solid clay will weigh a ton, you need a good armature, maybe print and glue a skeleton picture on wood or heavy cardboard and then make each muscle out of aluminum foil. Tape it all together then use thin clay to sculpt over that.
Already did, made a solid clay Rhizodus, a solid clay tarbosaurus head, and a aluminum armature clay lilliensternus, all unbaked.

If you mean that litterally, i think you think im making something lif sized. No, im just making a 22 inch sauropod

Can you show a example please

Justin_

I'd really like to make a sauropod this size one day.

However, even if it is mainly something like wood or polystyrene and foil inside, the amount of epoxy clay I'd need to cover it would still be quite expensive. Also, I'd need to completely rearrange my work-space to do something this big, so I can walk around the sculpture to work on it, rather than keep picking it up to turn it and risking damaging it.
So, until I finally have space, time and money to make a big sauropod I'm making a few 3" and 4" ones to get a feel for their structure and to try out poses. Although I use skeleton images for research they tend to be side-views only so I've bought a few cheapish but good, small sauropod figures as reference, such as PNSO's tiny Mamenchisaurus and the CollectA Brontosaurus.

If I really needed to make a big sauropod this afternoon I'd probably use thick cardboard and paper mache, and work outside in the garden. This site might be helpful:
https://www.ultimatepapermache.com/

Libraraptor

Quote from: Stegotyranno on July 23, 2020, 03:07:19 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure super needs to be baked in an oven to harden. Other than that I'd check out Kayakasaurus YouTube channel for sculpting idea or help.

But he does have sculpting videos which probably meet your ideas well.  Look at how he did the Spinosaurus,  it is basically the way avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon had described.  I am sure one can adapt this idea to huge sauropods.  As to your colorful responds and their tone,  honestly I find your way of communication a little bold.  You ask something,  get well meant answers and ideas and basically don't even thank for them. And you often stress how few money you have and can't afford everything.  Well,  I don't have much money either,  but I don't complain but see it as a challenge. 
No harm meant !

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Libraraptor on July 23, 2020, 01:12:13 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on July 23, 2020, 03:07:19 AM

But he does have sculpting videos which probably meet your ideas well.  Look at how he did the Spinosaurus,  it is basically the way avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon had described.  I am sure one can adapt this idea to huge sauropods.  As to your colorful responds and their tone,  honestly I find your way of communication a little bold.  You ask something,  get well meant answers and ideas and basically don't even thank for them. And you often stress how few money you have and can't afford everything.  Well,  I don't have much money either,  but I don't complain but see it as a challenge. 
No harm meant !
I'd like to thank you for explaining my flaws. But there are two things that cause my behaviror.
1. The reason I dont say words such as thank you is because I was raised in a Indian Household and we dont say thank you much. We usually just pray or hope the best for them, so I pray every night the world will be drenched in ultimate joy and peace, where everyones.problems are solved. Where the devil doesn't exist.
2. You say that you are cheap, I just have 10 bucks cash. That's the most money I ever had. My last figure I bought was in 2019 and my father said those should be the last "toys" I'd ever get.
3. And the reason Kayakas videos never help me is because he has a oven he can spare. My brother said I should remove my interests and just wait until I got a good job. Its not that's hea mean, he just wants me to save money
So I hope you now know why.
Also what do you mean by color full responds

CityRaptor

Hmmm.
1. Religion is a difficult issue. Talking about it here is also greatly discouraged. Most people would prefer a "Thank you" anyways.
2. Well, you would be suprised what you can find for much less if you are lucky. Including stuff that sells for much more if you resell it. Constantly reminding people of that gets annoying fast. That comes from someone with a low budget.
3. Your brother seems to have a point.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 23, 2020, 08:06:03 PM
Hmmm.
1. Religion is a difficult issue. Talking about it here is also greatly discouraged. Most people would prefer a "Thank you" anyways.
2. Well, you would be suprised what you can find for much less if you are lucky. Including stuff that sells for much more if you resell it. Constantly reminding people of that gets annoying fast. That comes from someone with a low budget.
3. Your brother seems to have a point.
I get it, everyone is now mad at me because i said i was poor too much.
You know theres a difference between culture and religion
I know but no one wants to buy my stuff
Geez im just gonna delete this thread
avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum delete this thread because it just turned into a shame circle

Libraraptor

The Forum format is prone to misconceptions because one can't recognize any emotional nuances.
Who am I to  presume and "flaws" for example?  I do not even know you! Your imputation of me laying open "flaws" appears to me passive aggressive.  I don't appreciate this style.
As I said,  no harm was ever intended and it is not my task to instruct anyone.  I just wrote what your sometimes bumpy way to communicate causes within me. Noone is mad at you for not having much money for instance (another assumption which I estimate passive aggressive) -that is what you wrote in your thread where you announced to take a break because you were feeling bored.  This thread alone draws the picture of a rather childish attempt to get attention or induce members to make the Forum more attractive to you.
Seriously, Iwould really be happy to see you again after your break you had announced now for the second time within a month. Maybe we get to know each other better then,  provided a Forum format can supply that.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Libraraptor on July 24, 2020, 04:54:58 AM
The Forum format is prone to misconceptions because one can't recognize any emotional nuances.
Who am I to  presume and "flaws" for example?  I do not even know you! Your imputation of me laying open "flaws" appears to me passive aggressive.  I don't appreciate this style.
As I said,  no harm was ever intended and it is not my task to instruct anyone.  I just wrote what your sometimes bumpy way to communicate causes within me. Noone is mad at you for not having much money for instance (another assumption which I estimate passive aggressive) -that is what you wrote in your thread where you announced to take a break because you were feeling bored.  This thread alone draws the picture of a rather childish attempt to get attention or induce members to make the Forum more attractive to you.
Seriously, Iwould really be happy to see you again after your break you had announced now for the second time within a month. Maybe we get to know each other better then,  provided a Forum format can supply that.
Yeah,once again, i hope this thread could be deleted, as i dont want anyone seeing my misbehavior

Brocc21

Dude chill out a bit. We're not trying to shame you for any "misbehavior". We're just trying to give some advice and that's kind of hard over the internet.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Brocc21 on July 24, 2020, 05:26:22 AM
Dude chill out a bit. We're not trying to shame you for any "misbehavior". We're just trying to give some advice and that's kind of hard over the internet.
Look bro im sorry, can we just end this. I'll be back in August

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.