News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wandering

I don't understand the hate for the new Spino, some parts of it look a little overly smooth or a bit off but I kinda love the paint scheme and some of the detailing on the spine and flanks.... the size is disappointing but it's understandable.  I suppose I can see how people would find it to be a disappointment over all.

Shonisaurus

I like that spinosaurus, I honestly do not hate it, it is a great figure and it is more in my case I do not hate any prehistoric animal and dinosaur figure of any brand of dinosaurs even if they do not share my tastes. In this case the Safari brand is one of my favorites and the spinosaurus is a very well made figure, I repeat but too small, I would have preferred it to have been the same size as its 2020 PNSO counterpart.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Wandering on November 24, 2020, 06:09:30 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on November 24, 2020, 01:56:29 PM
Quote from: Wandering on November 24, 2020, 08:05:58 AM
I guess I didn't think what I said  there would come off the way it did... sorry guys, I was mostly just saying I was reminded of it and I wondered if it was a source of inspiration, clearly not though and for the best.  I've always loved Baryonyx and I'm very happy with this long over due replacement for the Carnegie model.   :))

Hey I wasn't all that upset about your original comment I was more annoyed by other comments about comparisons to the Favorite paint job and your comment and Shane's response were just a catalyst to get me going. I had a similar rant on here years ago when Dan LoRusso was coming under fire. This one will hopefully be my last I won't be doing this much longer. Glad you like the Baryonyx. :)

I completely get it though, collectors can be overly critical and nitpicky.  And do you mean to say that you won't be doing sculpting for toy companies anymore? It that's the case you've definitely left behind a considerable legacy to be proud of and your work will be sorely missed.   :'(.

Let's just say I am closer to the end rather than the beginning of my career. :)

bmathison1972

Don't retire too soon avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson - I only recently started adding dinos to my Syntopic Collection, and for the most part I only collect yours :)

SidB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 24, 2020, 07:27:35 PM
I like that spinosaurus, I honestly do not hate it, it is a great figure and it is more in my case I do not hate any prehistoric animal and dinosaur figure of any brand of dinosaurs even if they do not share my tastes. In this case the Safari brand is one of my favorites and the spinosaurus is a very well made figure, I repeat but too small, I would have preferred it to have been the same size as its 2020 PNSO counterpart.
I certainly don't hate it either, but neither do I like it - I still maintain that I would have liked to have seen a re-tooling of Doug Watson's 1/35 scale Spinosaurus. It would have been a far more impressive figure, IMO. Still, I'm really pleased with the Baryonyx and Daspletosaurus and look forward to their general availability.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 24, 2020, 05:53:50 PM
Hate, huh? Just don't buy it bro. I think it's a very attractive figure of one of my favorite dinosaurs, and I'll be picking it up once it's released.
Spinosaurus deserves better. Look at the other two models. There's a massive quality gap.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Bread

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 25, 2020, 04:49:55 PM
Hate, huh? Just don't buy it bro. I think it's a very attractive figure of one of my favorite dinosaurs, and I'll be picking it up once it's released.
Spinosaurus deserves better. Look at the other two models. There's a massive quality gap.
Remember, this is made by a different sculptor. Like others, I would have preferred Watson's Spinosaurus with a resculpt of the tail, I still think this new 2021 Spinosaurus is pretty good. I think it is slightly rushed, as well as the fact that we need to realize that we are being spoiled this year with companies like PNSO and GRToys making a highly detailed and desirable Spinosaurus. I think this new Safari Spinosaurus is good and I look forward to more models made by this sculptor. Let's see what else this sculptor can do.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Sculptwise the new Safari Spinosaurus is the most refined and elegant looking spinosaurus to date.

suspsy

I am utterly baffled by the negative reactions to the Spinosaurus. Sure, it's got shrink-wrapping on the skull, but so do a lot of the theropods on my shelves. I can overlook it. And the rest of the toy is great. The sculptor did an especially wonderful job on the tail.

We really have become far too spoiled.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on November 25, 2020, 11:53:46 PM

Sculptwise the new Safari Spinosaurus is the most refined and elegant looking spinosaurus to date.
PNSO, GR Toys, Papo, Rebor, even Schleich are better.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

The new Safari Baryonyx isn't for me.  I prefer the Favorite version which I'll be sticking with.  The Daspletosaurus interests me, but I don't like how the teeth in its upper jaw are done with the pink separating the joined teeth.  I'll have to see how I feel about it when this figure is released.  Plus it appears to have a defect on the right upper lip which can be seen in the video review as well as the photo below:

bmathison1972

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 26, 2020, 04:34:09 PM

Better? Or just appeal to you more personally? None of us have ever, or will ever, see an alive Spinosaurus. These toys are all in part speculative, so who's to say which is better?

I agree with suspsy; not sure why it's getting so much negative press. I will stick with my 2019 Safari spino, but that's my choice.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 26, 2020, 05:36:51 PM

Better? Or just appeal to you more personally? None of us have ever, or will ever, see an alive Spinosaurus. These toys are all in part speculative, so who's to say which is better?

I agree with suspsy; not sure why it's getting so much negative press. I will stick with my 2019 Safari spino, but that's my choice.

Honestly, people are being unfair to Safari because of its spinosaurus and because it sells only three figures this year. I think as DTF members like Suspsy say that we are too spoiled and badly used.

The spinosaurus figure from Safari 2021 is phenomenal and for my part I don't see any imperfections, in my case I would have liked it to have been the same size as its 2020 counterpart made by Doug Watson, but it's my appreciation.

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 26, 2020, 05:36:51 PM

"Better" is definitely subjective terminology.

I 100% stand by my criticisms of the 2021 Safari Spinosaurus in terms of its accuracy, frankly I'm baffled so much can still be completely overlooked. The new PNSO in particular is most certainly more accurate, but that doesn't make it "better" inherently. Everyone has different standards and different priorities.

Flaffy

Dunno why everyone's so keen on overlooking the 2021 Spinosaurus's inaccuracies to promote it as the "best" Spinosaurus figure to date.

Though again as mentioned by many other members, what's "better" is inherently subjective. So I guess buy what you like, don't buy what you don't like.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Safari Black Friday Sale!
The most anticipated sale of the year! The more you buy, the more you save! Simply use the discount codes below that apply to your order amount.

15% OFF for all $50+ orders - Use Code: BF15
25% OFF for $75+ orders - Use Code: BF25
35% OFF for $100+ orders - Use Code: BF35

BlueKrono

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 27, 2020, 02:15:33 PM
The most anticipated sale of the year! The more you buy, the more you save! Simply use the discount codes below that apply to your order amount.

Thank you for the heads up! Does anyone know of any other sites that have big sales on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 27, 2020, 06:17:28 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 27, 2020, 02:15:33 PM

Thank you for the heads up! Does anyone know of any other sites that have big sales on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

Very welcome! I spent around 104.00 which came to only 68.00 an free shipping. Thats a lot of product.   I haven't seen any more dino related exactly, Minizoo was 10% off, Happy Hen has a few deals scattered around..it's best to just check your favorite shops.   I guess we could start a thread for it?

Bread

$5 off pre-orders for new Safari 2021 figures on Dan's Dinosaurs
Edit: offer ends on Saturday

RaptorRex

Quote from: Bread on November 28, 2020, 06:08:03 PM
$5 off pre-orders for new Safari 2021 figures on Dan's Dinosaurs
Edit: offer ends on Saturday
Got my order in. Thanks!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: