News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thialfi

I am hoping for a dimetrodon!

SRF

I'm hoping the new Triceratops will be included in the Prehistoric Animal Models line as number 47 or 49, but I expect it to be in the Museum line. Which would be a shame, since it will then be priced the same as the Stegosaurus.

But I also hope it won't come out soon actually. I still have 3 more models on the way and right now, it looks like they won't reach me before the 1st of July...
But today, I'm just being father

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Flaffy on June 22, 2021, 12:12:30 PM
Can see the fleshy nostril structure that connects nostril opening and lower end of bony nostril, so the low nostrils are intentional (probably base on Nostril Position in Dinosaurs and Other Vertebrates and Its Significance for Nasal Function by Lawrence M. Witmer (2001).

Thank you avatar_Faras @Faras for the confirmation. Good to see that this was an intentional sculpting choice, rather than an anatomical error. Definitely plan to get this figure now to flesh out my Morrison collection. Do you happen to know of any upcoming TaoBao/Tmall sales in July and August?

On another note, I've noticed that figures #47 and #49 has yet to be revealed.
#46: Austin the Pachycephalosaurus
#47: ??
#48: Connor the Torvosaurus
#49: ??
#50: Gamba the Carcharodontosaurus
I assume Bieber 2.0 and the upcoming Kronosaurus don't count as they're in the museum line. I wonder what else PNSO has up their sleeve.
the museum line figures are part of the same numbering system

avatar_suspsy @suspsy they had me at "Helicoprion" . Just waiting for ED to get it.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Faras

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin My pleasure ^-^ Indeed we need new Ceratosaurus, it would probably look dashing judging from their 1:10 one.

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs Yeah PNSO Giga has the same problem, it doesn't have the heft despite being much bigger.

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 Hmm iirc confirmed fossils put Torvosaurus around 10-11m? So I don't think it should go larger. Personally I feel somewhat torn regarding the heft, on one hand it's a little weird to have a muscular dino without much fat, on the other hand it seems PNSO only give "large animal bulk" to absolutly apex predators, and with Allosaurus being longer/taller in Morrison Formation, giving Torvo heft could make those two models look out of place together.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy You are most welcome :) Not too sure about July one, it probably wouldn't come too early since 2nd biggest sale of the year just ended on 20th. For August there's a small Tmall sale (usually require paid membership) around 8th, then another routine (there's at least one sale per month) one with unknown date.

Posting TaoBao/Tmall sales for each month here in cause some might be interested :)

Jan: New year, about two weeks prior to Chinese new year if it comes early.
Feb: two weeks prior to Chinese new year if it comes late.
March: early march.
April: no set date.
May: first week, sometimes there's a second one around mid May.
June: (big) 1st-3rd, 16th-20th. This varies as stores may participate in smaller sales between 3rd and 16th.
July: no set date, often in mid/late July.
August: no set date. Small sale for members around 8th.
Sept: usually around Mid-Autumn festival.
Oct: usually in first week.
Nov: (biggest of the year) 1st-3rd, 10th-12th (might end later than 12th). Small sales between 3rd and 10th.
Dec: (big) 10th-12th (might vary slightly), Christmas-new year.

Edit: actually PNSO is cheaper on Pinduoduo during sales except big in June and Nov. Much easier too since it's flat price deduce on every model while TaoBao/Tmall is a mess of usual prices + 30 yuan off every 200 (very hard to get close to 200/400/600 if you only buy PNSO) + shop disount: 20 yuan off order over 299 (need to invite three accounts) + stack with 3 more coupons from various sources, ugh. Small sales on Pinduoduo also happen more often (PNSO often put part of the models on small sales, discount is same as big ones though).

SRF

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on June 22, 2021, 01:26:02 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on June 22, 2021, 12:12:30 PM
Can see the fleshy nostril structure that connects nostril opening and lower end of bony nostril, so the low nostrils are intentional (probably base on Nostril Position in Dinosaurs and Other Vertebrates and Its Significance for Nasal Function by Lawrence M. Witmer (2001).

Thank you avatar_Faras @Faras for the confirmation. Good to see that this was an intentional sculpting choice, rather than an anatomical error. Definitely plan to get this figure now to flesh out my Morrison collection. Do you happen to know of any upcoming TaoBao/Tmall sales in July and August?

On another note, I've noticed that figures #47 and #49 has yet to be revealed.
#46: Austin the Pachycephalosaurus
#47: ??
#48: Connor the Torvosaurus
#49: ??
#50: Gamba the Carcharodontosaurus
I assume Bieber 2.0 and the upcoming Kronosaurus don't count as they're in the museum line. I wonder what else PNSO has up their sleeve.
the museum line figures are part of the same numbering system

avatar_suspsy @suspsy they had me at "Helicoprion" . Just waiting for ED to get it.

The Museum Line isn't part of the same numbering system. Winter Wilson, Biber the Stego and Jeff the Kronosaurus aren't numbered like the Prehistoric Animals models.

sauroid

avatar_Faras @Faras do you think it is possible to request PNSO to send me an Atopodentatus insert/foldout poster? my box did not include one. which PNSO social media should i contact? sorry for asking you but you seem to be "close" to the company. thanks. :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Faras

Quote from: sauroid on June 22, 2021, 01:38:31 PM
avatar_Faras @Faras do you think it is possible to request PNSO to send me an Atopodentatus insert/foldout poster? my box did not include one. which PNSO social media should i contact? sorry for asking you but you seem to be "close" to the company. thanks. :)

Hmm maybe contact them on amazon or facebook? One guy on Tieba had missing stand and they quickly sent one. They offer after sales service for all in-stock genuine models afaik :)

sauroid

Quote from: Faras on June 22, 2021, 02:02:47 PM
Quote from: sauroid on June 22, 2021, 01:38:31 PM

Hmm maybe contact them on amazon or facebook? One guy on Tieba had missing stand and they quickly sent one. They offer after sales service for all in-stock genuine models afaik :)
thanks.  :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Faras @Faras yes by bigger I meant robustness

Psittacoraptor

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I just checked their website, and they apparently don't ship internationally. But I found it on eBay, thanks to avatar_Chasmosaurus @Chasmosaurus : Thank you for the link! The Nemicolopterus is sold out now but I managed to snag one.

PNSO posted two videos titled "PNSO Dinosaurs Museum" today, one about Yutyrannus, the other about Beibeilong. I hope this means a Beibeilong model is in the works!

Yutyrannus: https://youtu.be/eN0kLKGBRy8
Beibeilong: https://youtu.be/pT-H_aZCFsE

I have to say I don't quite understand why PNSO's videos and books seem to be aimed at young children. These videos obviously are, going by the voice-over. They have also just released three new books, and while the art looks stunning, I fear the language might be like in these videos. Maybe my perception is skewed due to the internet but I always get the impression that their products are popular with adult collectors mostly. Their models are priced higher than those of "real" toy companies like Schleich and Safari, and the scientific focus is not something most children will care about. Furthermore, some models have sharp and pointy bits, and the material can be hard and heavy. I'd certainly not recommend them as toys for children. I'd recommend Schleich, Collecta or Safari instead. Or maybe the target audience of the books and videos is different from the models, I don't know.

Edit: About the books: Apparently they have a line aimed at young readers called "PNSO Encyclopedia for Children", and another line aimed at adult readers called "PNSO Field Guide to the Ancient World". Both lines have three separate books, for dinosaurs, pterosaurs, and marine animals. The "adult versions" will come out in English from October to December this year. Here are the Amazon.com links (they are also available on EU Amazon sites):
https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Field-Guide-Ancient-World/dp/1612545289/
https://www.amazon.com/Pterosaurs-Field-Guide-Ancient-World/dp/1612545297/
https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Monsters-Field-Guide-World/dp/1612545300/o

JohannesB

Yang Yang is seemingly the author for all the books, and since she writes children's books, I think she may still take a "storytelling" approach (romanticizing or anthropomorphizing it to a certain degree), which I don't like at all in a book that is scientifically oriented, like that field guide. But I may be wrong, of course.

Faras

avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor Their books mostly target children while models mainly target adult collectors. Books for children don't demand much resources as kids and most parents want combination of good pics and stories. They did work with paleontologists and published two serious books on Stegosaurids and Dromaeosaurids several years ago, iirc before they went bankrupt, guess sales weren't good enough and they kinda cut the series. Some paleontologists published books with Zhao's artworks but those ain't PNSO. PVC toy line started as "side product' of books (probably to put them next to books as lots of children want what they see in stores) and didn't gain much attention till 2019/2020 when they realised there's a big market in adult model collectors and started full-force releasing.

Regarding PNSO Field Guide to the Ancient World, these (Chinese version at least) are collections of Zhao's artworks with a little bit of romanticized text for people unfarmiliar with ancient life (only useful info for us being species name, time and location). So they are only good if you want to keep a quality collection of Zhao's paintings.

Link to those books, you can see pics of the content in comment section:
https://item.jd.com/12432392.html
https://item.jd.com/12432402.html
https://item.jd.com/12432424.html

avatar_JohannesB @Archosaur Yeah Yang Yang doesn't have a background in paleontology afaik, serious scientific writing might be too hard for her (in Ankylosaurus book she wrote that Ankylo is 10m and can beat T-rex; some errors regarding length in models' booklets too). Zhao doesn't get involved at all in writing, so PNSO needs to work with other writers for serious approch.

SRF

Another PNSO video on a large carnivorous dinosaur:
https://youtu.be/xeYB0_URp9E

The numbering on the opening shot of this video reminds me of that teaser for the Zhuchengtyrannus we've seen at the end of last year. I bet it will be number 006 in this video series. :)

KeU

His review on the Yutyrannus is out as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikv6xjWjxWA
Love the amount of effort he puts in his videos.
Especially the comparisons of the figure to the known fossil records.
And bonus to him getting the pronunciation of Yutyrannus correct. The only one of the youtubers to get it right from what I have seen.
Check out his videos on the PNSO Pachycephalosaurus and Allosaurus were stand outs for me.

SRF

To complete the trio, here's his review on the Tarbosaurus as well:
https://youtu.be/LKFMUJGyA1c

All three are great informative videos, as usual.

SRF

Some other news from PNSO, they've just revealed new 1:15 scale head sculpts of Winter Wilson, in bronze.

Reminds me of how truly magnificent I find Wilsons head sculpt, also on the figure. In this they also "fixed" the size of the scales.

suspsy

There's also a Sinoceratops bookend too!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SRF

Quote from: suspsy on June 23, 2021, 02:14:55 PM
There's also a Sinoceratops bookend too!

You're right!

Here are some images:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: