News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

since Tyrannosaurus rex is North American, it would have been more appropriate if PNSO used indigenous names instead of Anglo/colonial ones.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

sauroid

Quote from: Creature on July 22, 2021, 05:35:52 AM
I think Logan and Wilson look nice together! Though since the "family" is meant to be Wilson, Andrea, and Aaron, I'm hoping that means they'll rerelease Aaron in scale with his parents. I love the one I have, and he hangs out with me on my desk at the office, but I'd love a smaller one that could cuddle with Andrea or something.

avatar_Bread @Bread  yes, Aaron can still be purchased from PNSO on Amazon.
and it would be even better if PNSO made a nestling group of T. rexes in different poses. one offspring within "a family unit" of dinosaurs doesnt seem sensible.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

HD-man

Quote from: Faras on July 21, 2021, 06:15:33 PMHmm inspired by Tieba, I thinking maybe Andrea ended up with awful sausage leg cause: 1. in pics knee look as if it was straight above the foot, but in reality it's pointing outward; 2. bigger muscles overriding parts with less muscles; 3. extra thick cartilage and muscle compared to birds.

Drew parts of legs as unflatten and uncovered, and increased muscle bulk on ostrich for comparison:

*snip*

tbh wouldn't surprise me if this is yet another example of PNSO's notorious photography, guess we'll have to wait for actual model  :o

Many thanks for pointing that out. Personally, I think Andrea looks beautiful <3 Yes, I was surprised by her resting pose at 1st, but then I realized I've seen the same pose before in a PNSO painting (which I'm guessing is the basis for the Wilson/Andrea/Aaron family group, but correct me if I'm wrong):

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 20, 2021, 11:02:02 PMToo bad it looks beefier than the male. It will be better if the male was beefier,

No offense, but that's a weird thing to say about an animal ??? It's like saying, "Too bad female birds of prey look beefier than the males. It will be better if the males were beefier". Yes, "the only known ways to sex [an extinct dino] are to see if it has eggs inside of it, or to find medullary bone, a special bone tissue found in the long bones of [pregnant] females" ( https://www.livescience.com/tyrannosaurus-rex-size-age.html ). However, there is a pattern among living dinos. "In most species...males are larger than females...[while in hypercarnivorous predator species, females] tend to be stronger, larger, and more dominant than males" ( https://books.google.com/books?id=hTTUBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA6&dq=%22birds,+males+are+larger%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwimtZO-_u7pAhWXt54KHWCUCbgQ6AEwAHoECAUQAg#v=onepage&q=%22birds%2C%20males%20are%20larger%22&f=false ). I wouldn't be surprised if the same pattern applied to extinct dinos, especially given what we know about the hypercarnivorous T. rex ( https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jeb.13019 ) & "Syntarsus" (Quoted from Ricqlès 1992: "It is also worthy to note that Syntarsus seems to be a dimorphic species with both gracile and massive specimens at the same individual age (as assessed by skeletochronol- ogy). Since only the robust individuals show large perimedullar erosion cavities in their long bones, they are tentatively interpreted as females, as calcium is removed from the bones to allow for eggshell calcification (Chinsamy 1988, 1990)").

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 21, 2021, 04:50:13 AMThere isn't anything really making either model Male or Female other than the human names PNSO applied to them, so you could interpret them however you like.

;) As long as you know it's not canon (& likely inaccurate based on what we currently know).

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 20, 2021, 10:43:17 PMSad to see they've gone for the "sitting/resting female, with baby and aggressive male" thing, which is... a little not great. And so we see the downside to naming and characterizing figures as PNSO does. If these were just "sitting rex" and "standing rex" it wouldn't even be a thing.

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on July 21, 2021, 06:13:56 PMI do wish they hadn't done the stereotype thing though. But at least there is finally a Tyrannosaurus in a believable pose (aside from the legs)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that has to do w/the fact that PNSO "referred to sexual dimorphism in extant animals" (as opposed to anything cultural). More specifically, "the most convincing argument...[for robust female raptors]...has to do with a female's ability to defend her nest against predators like raccoons, crows, and other raptors. The female usually spends more time incubating eggs and rearing chicks than her male partner, and if she's bigger she might be able protect her young (and herself) more effectively. The male, on the other hand, might share some nest duties—but for the most part he's out hunting food for his mate and to-be offspring. Smaller prey items are easier to come by than larger creatures, so his compactness allows him to bring home more goods" ( https://www.audubon.org/news/most-female-raptors-are-bigger-and-stronger-males-why ).

P.S. I've always thought of "Andrea" as feminine (as opposed to unisex), partly b/c of "Andre The Giant", & partly b/c of Andrea in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQl36GSUeeQ
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Bread

avatar_Creature @Creature I appreciate the link but I meant the Aaron mini, not the large scale juvi/baby Aaron. My bad, I should have specified that back in the original post.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: sauroid on July 22, 2021, 11:06:07 AM
since Tyrannosaurus rex is North American, it would have been more appropriate if PNSO used indigenous names instead of Anglo/colonial ones.
I mean, Tyrannosaurids migrated to America from Asia
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gwangi

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 22, 2021, 01:36:36 PM

So did humans.

sauroid

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on July 22, 2021, 01:36:36 PM
basically the same way the native americans migrated from Asia to the Americas thousands of years ago.

suspsy

I really don't get why people are so hung up on the names. Shoot, I don't remember half the names PNSO's given to their toys. To me, it's just Qianzhousaurus, Dakosaurus, Pinacosaurus, etc.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on July 22, 2021, 01:55:18 PM
I really don't get why people are so hung up on the names. Shoot, I don't remember half the names PNSO's given to their toys. To me, it's just Qianzhousaurus, Dakosaurus, Pinacosaurus, etc.

Same. I'll use the name if I write a review of it but after that it's just the PNSO Pachycephalosaurus, or PNSO Sinoceratops, etc.

sauroid

i actually cringe/wince at those names, and they are neither male or female to me. :)

Bread

Quote from: Gwangi on July 22, 2021, 02:36:05 PM

Same. I'll use the name if I write a review of it but after that it's just the PNSO Pachycephalosaurus, or PNSO Sinoceratops, etc.
This. I think the only one I refer to using their name is Wilson as there are already hundreds of Tyrannosaurus' followed by handful of PNSO tyrannosaurs now.

Stegotyranno420

Yes they came from north east Asia, but didn't the even earlier ones come from Central Eurasia?
On the thing about the names, it's just fun to have names for creatures, yeah I get it, it's a dumb thing, but it's okay to have a bit fun by making them seem like characters. Of course, if I do get it I won't refer to the name, just the animal
H @HD-man look, I lean towards the males are larger theory, which has lots of good evidence and is far more believeable than females are larger theory So if I want accurate /plausible collection, I will need to get more accurate figures. You will also have to look at other relatives of Dinosaurs, like crocodiles, and animals in the size group, like elephants, and very large modern terrestrial carnivores, like bears.
Yes saying you don't like eagles because they are female ruled is kind of wierd, but saying you want a figurine(besides I don't even care about the names, just playin devil's advocate) to be in a certain way as it's makes more sense and with Megapnosaurus, it was very lightly built and could had been a rare case, just like how eagles and hawks are the exception, and crocodiles without their lips are the exception.

Psittacoraptor

I don't know if this has been shared before but this video about Concavenator caught my eye. PNSO's interpretation is ... interesting. It has scales, protofeathers and branched wing-feathers in all sorts of colors. It looks a bit like a chimera, haha.

https://youtu.be/8Zb3kdddJeo

Because it's interesting and an aspect of the figure. Those examples also only have one figure per species. With three (arguably four) T-rex models now, using the names is better than saying T-rex 1, 2, 3, 4 or "standing, resting, baby" or whatever. PNSO are also using these names to create characters and relationships between their models, so it's part of the marketing now.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on July 22, 2021, 04:24:25 PM
I don't know if this has been shared before but this video about Concavenator caught my eye. PNSO's interpretation is ... interesting. It has scales, protofeathers and branched wing-feathers in all sorts of colors. It looks a bit like a chimera, haha.

https://youtu.be/8Zb3kdddJeo

Because it's interesting and an aspect of the figure. Those examples also only have one figure per species. With three (arguably four) T-rex models now, using the names is better than saying T-rex 1, 2, 3, 4 or "standing, resting, baby" or whatever. PNSO are also using these names to create characters and relationships between their models, so it's part of the marketing now.
Oh god I hate that
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stargatedalek

While an unusual looking mixture, it sort of works, and it's fitting with what we know of Concavenators probable integument. What's weird is that they feather Concavenator so extensively but not any vestigial feathers on Allosaurus etc.

RCM9698

I agree the names don't matter. PNSO just gives them names that fit with the dominant culture nowadays to give them some personality.

I will buy Andrea to display with Wilson and Logan, despite not being a fan of her pose. It does have the advantage of not needing a stand though.

There's no convincing evidence for sexual dimorphism either way at the moment, and B-Rex is the only one with even a confirmed sex to my knowledge. I don't see much value in discussing it with our current knowledge.

Duna

I was waiting for a Concavenator by Eofauna, but I wouldn't mind if PNSO did one, too! It would be interesting with those feathers ...

SRF

Quote from: Duna on July 22, 2021, 06:22:14 PM
I was waiting for a Concavenator by Eofauna, but I wouldn't mind if PNSO did one, too! It would be interesting with those feathers ...

Knowing PNSO, if they would make a figure out of this, it probably won't have feathers, just like any other theropod that was depicted with feathers in their artwork and without them on the figure.
But today, I'm just being father

Bread

Remember, PNSO's artwork and videos are completely different when the genus is made into a figure. Although it is an interesting interpretation.

Faras

Quote from: Flaffy on July 22, 2021, 03:27:22 AM
One issue I find with comparing Tyrannosaurus to an Ostrich is size.
Ostriches are at most ~145 kg, while Tyrannosaurus can get to 8+ tons. I believe the huge difference in mass (along with body size and the presence of a muscular tail) means that Tyrannosaurus may very well have rested in a different manner compared to the gracile Ostrich.

Yeah most likely, tbh none of the living species make good reference. imo could be more convincing if PNSO said they made the pose based on Mei long or new oviraptorid specimen atop egg clutch (though these are still fairly distant so T. rex could have very different leg folding).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: