News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooksonia

Remko

Quote from: Sim on January 14, 2021, 09:54:40 PM
On at least the Qianzhousaurus and Pinacosaurus PNSO has painted the area around the cloaca a different colour.  I wish they wouldn't do that.  It's something I hate in figures and it stops me getting them.

I see what you mean on the Qianzhousaurus, although it's hardly noticeable on my figure.

But in general a cloaca slit shouldn't be sculpted or painted at all.
I have a pet snake, and unless you know what you're looking for, her cloaca is almost invisible. It's completely obscured by scales, that spread open when she needs to poop.
Of course, snakes aren't archosaurs, but even on crocodilians it's not very obvious.

Lanthanotus

That's because it's a snake. Anoticable cloaca would mean the scales around there are different from the other underside scales which would hinder the animals movement. In other reptiles (if they aren't legless) the cloaca is clearly noticable, but also never dirty in a healthy animal, though the coloration can indeed vary from the surrounding skin.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

A new version of Winter Wilson with a little minute scale details (a bit over sized in this figure) and especially with forward facing eyes that T.rex actually had which in the new Wilson are placed side wise. It is a glaring abnormality in this otherwise museum quality and scientifically accurate replica of the creature. Please correct it, fingers crossed within the next few years. The forward facing eyes are finely depicted in the Saurian latest version of the creature. If possible please add fluorescent balls as had been added in the 2019 version of Stan Wilson to make the eye more life like. If possible make the skin color a bit darker.

If possible I request anyone to convey the details of eye positioning in T.rex that I have  mentioned here to PNSO, I shall be highly grateful to him/her.

JohannesB

This PNSO T. rex might well be my favorite representation of Tyrannosaurus rex in a toy model until now.

I love the featherless and lipless appearance, but I can't be bothered to have any preference for either 'for' or 'against' - as long as the scientific reasoning is sound and the figure is well-modelled, with attention to detail and with good proportions. If I am correct, I understand that there is no direct evidence whatsoever for feathers (or lips, for that matter), and the scientific reasoning of why this figure is made to look the way it does sounds very realistic to me. I also love the big barrel chest and a non-protruding pubic bone, and its bulky, beefy appearance in general.

The longer you study the details on this model, the more you can appreciate the study that has gone on in designing it. As just one example, I love how the two bundles of caudofemoralis(?) muscle can be seen on the underside near the base of the tail. This indicates a high attention to scientific scientific accuracy, I think.

In hand, this model is just awesome, and I dare say I have never seen a toy model that is trying to be (and succeeding wonderfully, for as far as I can tell) as thoroughly scientifically correct as this one, where every little bit about it has been well thought out and researched. Although the individual scales may be too big for the scale of this model, we may take this as a liberty taken to be able to point out the variation in patterning and sizes of the scales on different parts of the body, and as such I think this model can be called a success as well. From being able to imagine how the skeleton defines the shape and posture of the real, living animal, to seeing the bulges and dips indicating musculature, to seeing the different scale patterns and sizes, I am quite in awe of this model, which is well worth its prize, in my opinion.

I initially thought about repainting/retouching the model, but since I quite like the paint job as it stands, I won't - and generally I prefer to keep the models in their original colors anyway, especially with relatively expensive ones as this one. I love the slight gloss that is over the upper side and head, making the scales glisten slightly in the light, which along with the wonderful details gives the model another little layer of visual depth.

SidB

Well said, avatar_JohannesB @Failed archaeologist , your comments capture the positive appreciation that so often is lost when we exercise our critical faculties excessively. There really is and needs to remain a certain objective critique of these figures in general, but we must properly allow for the angle of approach that your comments cover. Otherwise it is easy to lose the delight in and joy of collecting. There really does need to be a 'willing suspension of disbelief' from time to time, IMO. A certain generous orthodoxy goes a log way. I love this figure, and really look forward to its arrival at my doorstep.

Remko

I received the new Wilson today, and what a beauty it is!

It looks like a completely different animal compared to the earlier Wilsons.
As has been said before, this appears to be the best scientifically accurate T. rex to date.

It's als perfectly balanced. Even if he stand on the edge of the table on his right foot only, with the left foot hanging in the air, there's no indication the figure will fall over. I doubt the support rod will be needed at all, although it is a nice added bonus from PNSO.

JohannesB

Quote from: Remko on January 19, 2021, 05:10:11 PM
I received the new Wilson today, and what a beauty it is!

It looks like a completely different animal compared to the earlier Wilsons.
As has been said before, this appears to be the best scientifically accurate T. rex to date.

It's als perfectly balanced. Even if he stand on the edge of the table on his right foot only, with the left foot hanging in the air, there's no indication the figure will fall over. I doubt the support rod will be needed at all, although it is a nice added bonus from PNSO.

I have noticed this in my "specimen" as well. But I also noticed that when first out of the box, the left foot did indeed touch the ground, which to me indicates that when standing without its little support rod, it is slowly leaning over forward. So maybe it is wise to put the little rod under the figure to prevent it from toppling.

JohannesB

Quote from: SidB on January 19, 2021, 05:04:18 PM
Well said, avatar_JohannesB @Failed archaeologist , your comments capture the positive appreciation that so often is lost when we exercise our critical faculties excessively. There really is and needs to remain a certain objective critique of these figures in general, but we must properly allow for the angle of approach that your comments cover. Otherwise it is easy to lose the delight in and joy of collecting. There really does need to be a 'willing suspension of disbelief' from time to time, IMO. A certain generous orthodoxy goes a log way. I love this figure, and really look forward to its arrival at my doorstep.

Indeed. To me, this figure balances esthetics and accuracy admirably. I just love it. Of course, we all have our preferences and priorities, and the discussions are part of the fun and interest of collecting dinosaur toy models.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

What about the side wise eye placement? T.rex had forward placed eyes. It is a glaring mistake. I wish PNSO make another one at least correcting this feature.

Flaffy

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on January 19, 2021, 05:52:12 PM
What about the side wise eye placement? T.rex had forward placed eyes. It is a glaring mistake. I wish PNSO make another one at least correcting this feature.

There's nothing wrong with Winter Wilson's eye placement? Dunno what you're on about. It has perfect binocular vision.

Bread

Quote from: Flaffy on January 19, 2021, 05:57:00 PM
Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on January 19, 2021, 05:52:12 PM

There's nothing wrong with Winter Wilson's eye placement? Dunno what you're on about. It has perfect binocular vision.
I was thinking they could have meant about the paint on the eyes? Although this is based on factories' painting the eye correctly. Both of the eyes on my Wilson seem to have been painted fine. The position of the eyes on the Wilson appear to be correct, nothing majorly wrong. I'd even argue this figure has the best portrayal of Tyrannosaurus' eye position. I even prefer the head sculpt of Wilson over the Safari feathered rex.

Edit: I want to add that even if factories put out some defects of Wilson's eye paint, I wouldn't want a "fixed" future Wilson. To me at least, after having this Wilson, I don't want another release of a Tyrannosaurus from PNSO. 

ceratopsian

Following on from the discussion of cloacas, there is an article published on the cloaca of the Frankfurt Psittacosaurus this very day in Current Biology by Vinther et al.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960982220318911?dgcid=author

Quote from: Remko on January 19, 2021, 11:01:51 AM
Quote from: Sim on January 14, 2021, 09:54:40 PM
On at least the Qianzhousaurus and Pinacosaurus PNSO has painted the area around the cloaca a different colour.  I wish they wouldn't do that.  It's something I hate in figures and it stops me getting them.

I see what you mean on the Qianzhousaurus, although it's hardly noticeable on my figure.

But in general a cloaca slit shouldn't be sculpted or painted at all.
I have a pet snake, and unless you know what you're looking for, her cloaca is almost invisible. It's completely obscured by scales, that spread open when she needs to poop.
Of course, snakes aren't archosaurs, but even on crocodilians it's not very obvious.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

I want to point out that in the saurian latest version of the creature. The eye placement is perfectly forward if also viewed from side. I want that kind of eye placement which is evident when I see an owl's face from side. Owl has forwardly placed eye that I want from later creation. I think I have now made myself clear. If some one watches the eye placement in the saurian latest version it will become evident what I am trying to state here.

Remko

Update on the ability of the 2020 Wilson being able to stand without support.

Well, no.

It appears the figure is perfectly balanced when just out of the box, but after having it on my desk since yesterday, it indeed is prone to topple over.
Or he was just sleeping when I checked him this morning.  ;D

This is caused because there's to much weight in front of the right foot. The left foot wouldn't even touch the ground anymore.

So, good thinking of PNSO to include the display stand.

Remko

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on January 20, 2021, 06:22:10 AM
I want to point out that in the saurian latest version of the creature. The eye placement is perfectly forward if also viewed from side. I want that kind of eye placement which is evident when I see an owl's face from side. Owl has forwardly paced eye that I want from later creation. I think I have now made myself clear. If some one watches the eye placement in the saurian latest version it will become evident what I am trying to state here.

I see what you mean, and can confirm that the new Wilson's eyes are basically identical in position as the Saurian redesign.
But this is hard to judge from photo's, you'll notice it when you have the figure in hand though.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Remko on January 20, 2021, 10:40:48 AM
I want to point out that in the saurian latest version of the creature. The eye placement is perfectly forward if also viewed from side. I want that kind of eye placement which is evident when I see an owl's face from side. Owl has forwardly paced eye that I want from later creation. I think I have now made myself clear. If some one watches the eye placement in the saurian latest version it will become evident what I am trying to state here.

I see what you mean, and can confirm that the new Wilson's eyes are basically identical in position as the Saurian redesign.
But this is hard to judge from photo's, you'll notice it when you have the figure in hand though.

Didn't they model this figure directly from a 3D scan of the AMNH mount? I'm not sure it's possible for the eye placement to be wrong if that's the case, unless the mold got screwed up (wouldn't be the first time for  T. rex figure... looking at you, 1999 Carnegie).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Bread

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on January 20, 2021, 12:39:55 PM
Quote from: Remko on January 20, 2021, 10:40:48 AM

Didn't they model this figure directly from a 3D scan of the AMNH mount? I'm not sure it's possible for the eye placement to be wrong if that's the case, unless the mold got screwed up (wouldn't be the first time for  T. rex figure... looking at you, 1999 Carnegie).
Regardless of whether or not this figure is a scan of AMNH, the eyes are portrayed and positioned well. I don't think there could or should be any improvement for the eyes. In hand, the forward facing eyes are apparent.

SRF

When in hand alongside a 3D render of the Saurian reconstruction, I actually don't even see a real difference between the eye placement on Wilson and the Saurian T. Rex.
But today, I'm just being father

Stegotyranno420

Speaking of Wilson, my buddy A @Andysdinosaurreviews uploaded a review on Youtube, and i gotta say, this was the only review i seen were it looks natural and realistic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSPMYVgffR8

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: