News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New PNSO Reference Thread: All About Past & Present (Images Heavy Thread)

Started by RobinGoodfellow, December 10, 2020, 05:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

At the end of the day, no company be all things to all people, of course. They have to pick their niche in the market and do their utmost to excel at it. Which, in fact, is what happens with the various brands.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: SidB on December 24, 2020, 03:39:37 PM
At the end of the day, no company be all things to all people, of course. They have to pick their niche in the market and do their utmost to excel at it. Which, in fact, is what happens with the various brands.

Of course, you're right.
But mainly I was talking about some strange collectors' behaviors ...   ;)

Ikessauro

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 24, 2020, 06:04:49 AM
..to be honest, I don't want to be a toys/prehistoric models company these days..
If a replica shows feathers then someone wants it to be scaly; if scaly then someone else wants it to be with feathers.
If it's with a base then someone wants it baseless, but without oversized feet and without support rods so, if it warps over time because of pvc and hot environment some other could prefer it with a base for stability.
If it has a moveable jaw then it would have been better without that movement (and viceversa).
If it's detailed, resin-made and expensive then it would have been better if cheaper and pvc (and viceversa).
If colors are realistic and mute then someone wants them to be more flamboyant (and viceversa).
If taxa is common then someone requests for more exotic species; but a Tyrannosaurus is always a must-have..
If a company makes theropods then we need more sauropods (and viceversa).
If a figure is vinyl then it would be better if pvc; if a figure is in a large scale then we need more medium-sized models (and viceversa).
A model has to be always up-to-date and scientifically correct but its price has to be in the toys range and not in the high collectible price range.
And so on..

I really don't want to be a company owner nowadays..   ;)

I agree with you a 100%. And I think it's ok that we have people that prefer/like different styles. I am a generalist when it comes to figures, so I try not to expect high quality paint jobs from CollectA or incredibly well proportionate models from Papo. I judge figures/models each for their own niche. And I collect everything, with and without bases, scaly and feathered, accurate and innacurate. If I like it, I'll probably buy it.

What makes no sense is when someone wants to apply the same evaluation parameters to all models. You can't buy CollectA expecting a PNSO like paint job or better. And saying CollectA is done something wrong by not doing the same as other companies is not 100% right. We have to realized that each company has its own style, their own sculptors and goals.

Some of them can't always be 100% accurate. Others can't invest time and money on complicated paint jobs. The only thing I myself expect from companies is that they deliver what has been promised. If a paint job was shown and unveiled, I expect said company to deliver that product as close as the prototype picture as possible. A small difference is expected, but I think there should be a limit to how much they can change the product from the advertise image.

On the other hand I understand the urge to comment and criticisze models, after all, discussing the toys/models is part of the hobby. It is not as fun to buy them and simply leave them on a shelf, never talking about them.

Carnoking

Quote from: Ikessauro on December 24, 2020, 05:32:47 PM
..to be honest, I don't want to be a toys/prehistoric models company these days..
If a replica shows feathers then someone wants it to be scaly; if scaly then someone else wants it to be with feathers.
If it's with a base then someone wants it baseless, but without oversized feet and without support rods so, if it warps over time because of pvc and hot environment some other could prefer it with a base for stability.
If it has a moveable jaw then it would have been better without that movement (and viceversa).
If it's detailed, resin-made and expensive then it would have been better if cheaper and pvc (and viceversa).
If colors are realistic and mute then someone wants them to be more flamboyant (and viceversa).
If taxa is common then someone requests for more exotic species; but a Tyrannosaurus is always a must-have..
If a figure is vinyl then it would be better if pvc; if a figure is in a large scale then we need more medium-sized models (and viceversa).
A model has to be always up-to-date and scientifically correct but its price has to be in the toys range and not in the high collectible price range.
And so on..

I agree with you a 100%. And I think it's ok that we have people that prefer/like different styles. I am a generalist when it comes to figures, so I try not to expect high quality paint jobs from CollectA or incredibly well proportionate models from Papo. I judge figures/models each for their own niche. And I collect everything, with and without bases, scaly and feathered, accurate and innacurate. If I like it, I'll probably buy it.

What makes no sense is when someone wants to apply the same evaluation parameters to all models. You can't buy CollectA expecting a PNSO like paint job or better. And saying CollectA is done something wrong by not doing the same as other companies is not 100% right. We have to realized that each company has its own style, their own sculptors and goals.

Some of them can't always be 100% accurate. Others can't invest time and money on complicated paint jobs. The only thing I myself expect from companies is that they deliver what has been promised. If a paint job was shown and unveiled, I expect said company to deliver that product as close as the prototype picture as possible. A small difference is expected, but I think there should be a limit to how much they can change the product from the advertise image.

On the other hand I understand the urge to comment and criticisze models, after all, discussing the toys/models is part of the hobby. It is not as fun to buy them and simply leave them on a shelf, never talking about them.

Lot of good thoughts in all of this. I think all of the criticism is a result of having so much to choose from these days, and so much good stuff at that. And that's before you even consider the spasmodic nature of paleontological accuracy and how quickly new information comes to light under new technology and research methods. With all of that information so accessible now, it makes it easier for people to brush up on their knowledge of dinosaurs and subsequently their idea of what a model should or shouldn't be.

Duna

And so on..

I agree with you in all points except one. I WILL NEVER EVER would want a figure with a fixed base (and most removable bases for that matter) even if the figure needs to stand against the glass of the cabinet forever or needs periodic hot water treatment to fix the warping. I will find a way to display but never with a fixed base, I really dispise them. But as a saying in Spanish goes: "Opinions are like butts, everyone has one".

The fact is that people nowadays know more about paleontology and recent discoveries, just one click and you can read the last opinions or updates of a dinosaur. So people now can be more critic and that's a good sign.
And figures are better sculpted and painted year by year, 30 years ago we were perfectly happy with the nice UKRDs for example in my case. So as figures get better, we want that level to maintain. And we want more, but always better.

SidB

Me, it's "clown feet," otherwise ... whatever. There's no arguing about taste.

Shonisaurus

avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow Thanks for that link. Honestly, that PNSO qianzhosaurus is superior to its Safari counterpart. Its pattern of colors I like to rage.

In my case I am going to set a goal, both the qianzhosaurus and the BoTM dinosaurs I am not going to obtain comfortably. I hope to get it when I deserve it as a reward for my good behavior inside and outside the home and for the quantity and quality of work that I do inside and outside the home, in this case it depends on me in my case. I want to be worthy of those figures as long as I am one hundred percent honest in my public life and in my private life.

In my personal case, I do not want to spoil myself, I want to get those figures as long as I am disciplined in all aspects of my life regardless that I will always look at the most affordable prices in the Aliexpress, eBay or Amazon market, I will buy from the highest bidder. I want to educate myself and discipline myself although obviously there is no one to watch me anymore.

RobinGoodfellow

January 2nd 2021

Domingo The Carnotaurus

:)

SidB

Any critiques aside, concerning proportions, scales, etc., this is one splendid beast!

Shonisaurus

I like the vivid painting style of that carnotaurus without a doubt one of the best PNSO figures when it comes to painting if not the best. Hopefully the real figure doesn't differ much from the prototype. PNSO remains impressively favorably.

Shonisaurus

Thank you for the link sincerely, you find out before the rest of the dinosaur news, it seems that you are in league with the dinosaur brands that fortunately bring us the toys to ruin our corresponding wallets (it is of course a joke on my part). I said thank you very much.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Andre on January 05, 2021, 09:51:46 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 05, 2021, 04:46:11 PM

Carno on Aliexpress:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005001995557260.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.47e32e0eKlAM2A

Any chance you have the link for Model Toy Center? They usually have better price and they ship very fast.. thanks!

.. I don't get the point in your question..
It seems that you know very well Model Toy Center on Aliexpress.
So, as you can check by yourself, Model Toy Center isn't selling that PNSO figure right now (maybe MTC will sell Carnotaurus on the next days, I really don't know because I don't have any inside information from MTC nor any other different connection with Aliexpress ).
I can check the web the same way as any other guy in here.
If you'll have news faster than me, feel free to post them on the thread.
Regards

Andre

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 06, 2021, 04:57:00 AM
Quote from: Andre on January 05, 2021, 09:51:46 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 05, 2021, 04:46:11 PM

Carno on Aliexpress:

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005001995557260.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.47e32e0eKlAM2A

Any chance you have the link for Model Toy Center? They usually have better price and they ship very fast.. thanks!

.. I don't get the point in your question..
It seems that you know very well Model Toy Center on Aliexpress.
So, as you can check by yourself, Model Toy Center isn't selling that PNSO figure right now (maybe MTC will sell Carnotaurus on the next days, I really don't know because I don't have any inside information from MTC nor any other different connection with Aliexpress ).
I can check the web the same way as any other guy in here.
If you'll have news faster than me, feel free to post them on the thread.
Regards

There's something I don't understand in AliExpress (I only started using it now, buying the new PNSO models). Often I see someone posting a link here and I can access the model, but if I try to search myself on the app, I simply can't find it, as if the seller didn't have that one. A couple of days ago, I asked MTC if they had the carno, and they said yes, and actually sent me a screenshot with it, but I simply can't access it (apparently you can't as well). This is why I was asking if anyone had a link... apparently there is a delay between seller offering the product, and it beeing visible through search.. no idea why..

Bread

Someone will post link eventually. I keep checking for MTC to have it as well. No worries just keep waiting.

Also, avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow, would you like me to send you photos of the Limited Edition V1 Spinosaurus so you can update the first post or shall I just upload them? Note: the image shows a closer shot of the Spinosaurus.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Bread on January 06, 2021, 12:00:15 PM
Someone will post link eventually. I keep checking for MTC to have it as well. No worries just keep waiting.

Also, avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow, would you like me to send you photos of the Limited Edition V1 Spinosaurus so you can update the first post or shall I just upload them? Note: the image shows a closer shot of the Spinosaurus.

I'll be happy to upload your pictures on the first post.
Thank you.
^-^

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: