News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2021

Started by Mattyonyx, December 22, 2020, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrosaurus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on August 15, 2021, 07:18:39 AM
A bit too preachy for my taste really. Papo has a niche, it's cheaper than the other companies mentioned and it has decent paint and sculpting which is better than the other companies around that price range and lower. They're likely not going anywhere so I wouldn't get my hopes up on that. They just need to fix their ridiculous posing to actually be taken serious once more. That is all I am going to say here.

It is cheaper, but I wouldn't say its production is better than the other companies at its price point; PNSO aren't that expensive when you take shipping out of the equation and they knock Papo out of the park every day of the week, most Safaris and even a few Schleich and CollectA models are at least on par with Papo in terms of detail. And don't forget that hyper-detailed doesn't automatically equal better, sculpting every individual scale isn't a good thing when the scales wouldn't actually have been visible on the real animal, especially when shrunk down to that size.

Ivántirrophus

Papo megalodon is now in stock in everything dinosaur. It locks good, maybe i take it  :))

Ivántirrophus

Sorry, I didnt know how to post an image  :(

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Ivántirrophus on September 22, 2021, 09:01:56 PM
Sorry, I didnt know how to post an image  :(

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

GiganotosaurusFan

Honestly, Papo has decreased their quality as well as upped the price. The Giganotosaurus alone cost me 40-50 bucks, with that tripod pose...
The sculpts are way better than Safari's and Schleich's (in my opinion) but the price is similar to PNSO, and PNSO just simply beats the snot out of Papo every day.
Just...Papo, remake that Giganotosaurus and I will keep buying. Oh, if only....
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Saurox

Quote from: GiganotosaurusFan on September 29, 2021, 04:10:50 AM
Honestly, Papo has decreased their quality as well as upped the price. The Giganotosaurus alone cost me 40-50 bucks, with that tripod pose...
The sculpts are way better than Safari's and Schleich's (in my opinion) but the price is similar to PNSO, and PNSO just simply beats the snot out of Papo every day.
Just...Papo, remake that Giganotosaurus and I will keep buying. Oh, if only....

It doesn't seem likely that Papo will release anything.

paleochris

What do you mean? that papo won't release anything new this year? do you have serious sources?

Duck

Man oh man. I think the only good dinosaur figure Papo's released in the past few years was the Ceratosaurus, and that guy was tiny. If they fix the Giganotosaurus pose, I will continue buying, but if not...
I'm already moving on to other brands like Eofauna and PNSO.
He who dwells in pond

Lynx

I have yet to collect the last few papo figures I want (The ceratosaurus, karposuchus, juvie spinosaurus, and limited edition spino), but after that task is done I'm not touching this brand till they release some new figures. I understand covid was hard, but afaik they released several dozen animal figures. I feel like they could have done better.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

I think their Megalodon looks promising, although it is depicted like every other Megalodon-Great White shark like figure, it still holds up with its immense detail. Heck, once I find out its size and comparisons, it would go great with PNSO's Leviyatan. Also, it seems to only be ~$15 which leads me to think it may be small, but we'll see.

Yeah been seeing Papo's prices and people aren't joking. They cost $30+. Some I'd say its worth the price, others not really. Just like with any brand really.

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on October 07, 2021, 01:37:34 PM
I have yet to collect the last few papo figures I want (The ceratosaurus, karposuchus, juvie spinosaurus, and limited edition spino), but after that task is done I'm not touching this brand till they release some new figures. I understand covid was hard, but afaik they released several dozen animal figures. I feel like they could have done better.
Yeah, in light of the extant animal releases, it would seem that they could have done more than the Megalodon and juvenile Smilodon. I wonder if they feel that they have reached a commercial saturation point with their dinosaur figures. Or maybe negative feedback over the odd Giganotosaurus has taken the wind out of their sails?

Carnoking

I read that Papo's stated reason for holding off on creating more prehistoric figures (specifically dinosaurs) was because they experienced such delays getting last year's new dinosaurs to market that they didn't want to overshadow them with new releases so soon. This seems a sensible enough move but whether or not it was just a front for them having to reconsider their approach, who's to say.

SidB

Hmm, plausible .. hopefully that's the case. I wouldn't want them to disappear from the dino scene.

Medzo

Quote from: SidB on October 07, 2021, 04:19:29 PM
Hmm, plausible .. hopefully that's the case. I wouldn't want them to disappear from the dino scene.

Me neither, the Limited edition Rainbow Standing T-rex is still my favorite piece even with the new PNSO figures being around.

A company having the skills to produce such a fine and detailed figure should not fade back into obscurity.

Bread

Quote from: Medzo on October 11, 2021, 12:49:42 PM

A company having the skills to produce such a fine and detailed figure should not fade back into obscurity.
All Papo needs to do is create more prehistoric animals like their Kaprosuchus or Megaloceros. I would say those are two of their best figures.

If they lean towards Jurassic Park, something a company hasn't done yet would be nice. The anticipation for a properly done JP Gallimimus  is high.

Just some examples of fan favorites that would really bring them back into collectors eyes. With Nanmu producing the JP like figures and PNSO producing somewhat scientific, Papo have really faded in the eyes of collectors. Shame really because they were at the top. The brown standing rex and green running rex being in almost every collection.

stargatedalek

It would be cool if Papo would lean into more dramatic or monster styled reconstructions. Stuff similar to their Cryolophosaurus or Allosaurus. Think something like the "strain" dinosaurs from The Isle.

Their JP niche has been closed in on from all sides, with Mattel picking up the slack for general desires of JP toys, W Dragon swooping in to snatch the higher price market, and Nanmu doing essentially what Papo has always been but acknowledging they make JP figures and leaning a bit more into it. The writing is more than just on the wall, it's hitting them over the head.

PNSO has rather taken Papo's other niche, that being "higher paint app and production quality", but PNSO is just the final straw there. Safari and CollectA have improved their paint quality control a lot in recent years even as Papo's has been faltering, making their lead in this regard constantly shrink.

MLMjp

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 11, 2021, 06:20:46 PM
It would be cool if Papo would lean into more dramatic or monster styled reconstructions. Stuff similar to their Cryolophosaurus or Allosaurus. Think something like the "strain" dinosaurs from The Isle.

Their JP niche has been closed in on from all sides, with Mattel picking up the slack for general desires of JP toys, W Dragon swooping in to snatch the higher price market, and Nanmu doing essentially what Papo has always been but acknowledging they make JP figures and leaning a bit more into it. The writing is more than just on the wall, it's hitting them over the head.

PNSO has rather taken Papo's other niche, that being "higher paint app and production quality", but PNSO is just the final straw there. Safari and CollectA have improved their paint quality control a lot in recent years even as Papo's has been faltering, making their lead in this regard constantly shrink.

Yeah, I think they should take that route, making stylized dinos, just do more neutral poses, please...

Duck

I do think Papo dinosaurs still have a bit of charm to them.
He who dwells in pond

SidB

And surely with its established commercial network, the Papo brand still has considerable strength. This is a strong foundation to build upon.

Thialfi

Quote from: SidB on October 12, 2021, 02:31:14 AM
And surely with its established commercial network, the Papo brand still has considerable strength. This is a strong foundation to build upon.
Exactly. Papo is available in stores, it's the brand everyone can pick up at any moment if they want a dinosaur. We over here are purists, but 8 year old me would have gone crazy for Papo and for parents and regular, more basic customers it's probably still the brand to go for, together with Schleich.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: